1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tags:
  1. hodgo

hodgo Contributing Member

Hi fellas

Long time reader however dont post alot cause i dont see to many games being in Australia. I was just wondering if someone can give me the low down on lowry's play tonight as i never get to watch the games and am curious how he looked defensively and offensivly thanks in advance

Hodgo

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He went into the game without any preparation and was basically winging it. He made some mistakes on pick and roll coverage, but otherwise showed why he's considered a very good young defensive player. He keeps a body on the guy he's defending, he'll look to take charges, and he's not afraid of getting into the paint to help on the defensive glass. The kid's tough.

On offense, I don't believe he took a single jumper. He had 3 or 4 good drives. He tried to push it in transition. He's much stronger than either Rafer or Aaron, and when he gets to the basket he can (and will look to) initiate contact. He made some good passes in transition to open 3-point shooters. He had a number of turnovers (an offensive foul, a bad outlet pass to Yao in transition, and some other ball-handling turnovers). Again, new team and new system so that's to be expected.

The important thing was that he didn't play tentatively, he was aggressive, and he looked comfortable playing with the rest of the guys. Pretty good opening game.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Looked aggressive, strong, and fearless. Clearly a driver and finisher rather than a jump shooter. Looked relatively comfortable in the offense considering he just joined the team. Seemed a bit turnover prone, but that could be expected in his first game with the team.

Seems like he will bring a toughness to the back court we desperately needed.

5. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Important point, I thought it was a little Bonzi out there a few times, the guy is solid.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

yeah he had 4, but one was a travel when he shuffled his feet, which everyone does, but they only called it because he drew a foul on the play...and well another was a charge called on him where he tried a little too hard to make contact, but i think it could have gone either way, so yeah i expected the turnovers, but really only 2 involving the ball so that's not too bad.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

reminds me of khalid el-amin

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

HAHA, el-amin could actually shoot the ball!

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well i meant body-wise, before el-amin blew up

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

yeah and remember it was his first game, just got traded yesterday so all in all, not bad. He's very young so I expect he will get alot better over time. Lebron couldn't hit the outside jumper when he first came in either (i'm not comparing the two, he's no lebron). This kids ceiling is higher than I thought, very crafty for a youngin.

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

It should probably be noted that when he was called on the charge, he made an off-balance jumper after the contact. Looked like it was gonna be an and-1, but it could have gone either way.

12. Lowry_Fan

Lowry_Fan Member

Despite what Morey suggested, Lowry is not an "upgrade" to Rafer Alston. Maybe in a few years, but not now.

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I think thats a matter of opinion. I believe he is an upgrade over rafer. atleast he didn't go 1-9 tonite.

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If you are familiar with Lowry's game, can you describe some of his weaknesses for us (other than the obviously shaky jumper)?

15. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

All I know is my grey hair has all but disappeared ever since Rafer was traded. I always would always grit my teeth everytime Rafer would drive in the lane and 9 out of 10 times he would get the ball poked away from him or just flat out stolen. Rafer's tear drop was garbage.

Lowry it appears can actually draw a foul because he can hold on to the ball when he drives. He can take a hit and not crumple to the floor in pain, and also appears to have a good follow through shot when being fouled. I think we can expect good things from this kid and I welcome him with open arms after the abuse we have taken from Rafer in the past. Future is looking bright for the Rockets.

16. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

The other 2 were passes to Yao I think. One of them was the ill advised lead pass when Yao was running the floor, maybe another more athletic big man could have caught that, but definitely not Yao. The other TO was one where he had a small window to get it in to Yao and he passed it a little too low. If he was on the team for much longer and knew Yao's tendencies, I doubt those TO's would have happened.

I also noticed one of the defensive plays where after he was picked off, Lowry just threw his hands up since it looked like nobody communicated to him the pick was coming.

Some of the mistakes that he made tonight probably won't happen after he gets more acclimated to the team.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

That tear drop haunts my dreams

18. Nolocke

Nolocke Member

I am still in counseling for that and the Stockton 3 in the WCF's. BARKLEY I KNOW HE WASN"T YOUR MAN BUT GOOD GOD THROW YOUR ARMS UP OR DO SOMETHING!!! :mad:

LOL! :D

19. Spork KIller

Spork KIller Member

how old are you son? you talks as if you're foreign to english.

welcome you joining our bandwagon anyway.

20. hodgo

hodgo Contributing Member

lol 28 champ and only speak english and have been a fan for 10 years at least champ