1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How much longer before Ryan Mallet becomes the starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Plowman, Sep 28, 2014.

1. mario_v

mario_v Member

:rolleyes:.. If you were actually paying attention, you'd know I was referring to rezdawg's stats from PFT or whatever site that backs up his opinions

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Ummm, you were quoting a post where he brought up YPA and nothing else. So . . .

3. MisterPink

MisterPink Member

No way.

I was as prepared as anyone for the missed receivers, interceptions and poor throws, but I was not expecting Fitz to be such a badass.

The dude has his flaws for sure, but he's a baller. Did you see him lay down that block on that reverse?! That was freaking awesome. Until we have a really solid prospect for the future at QB, I'm down to keep rolling him out there. Hell, the only thing I'm not digging is him not force feeding the ball to AJ80 as much as I would like.

The team seems to respond to him well. Our real quarterback is playing on the other side of the football. This thing is working so far, albeit against weak competition.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Can we make a "put in the backup QB" sticky?

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

The only interception IMO (even then) that was Fitz's fault that game was the tipped pass one maybe.

The other pass was just an extraordinary play by the cornerback.

Fitz isn't great, but he is better than a lot of you guys seem to think.

With that being said, I do not want him starting after this season.

6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

All I posted was his YPA...which isnt from a source like PFT.

And it's not an opinion, his YPA of 8.05 is a fact.

Again, nobody is saying this guy is tearing it up or that he's the future. He is an average QB who is playing his role within the offense. He's a lot better than he gets credit for, specially when you and others say that it doesnt get worse than him. Sure, he has his weaknesses, but the guy brings it and puts it all out on the line...those are the kinds of players I want on my team. Listen to JJ Watt talk about him and it's clear that this team is 100% behind him. And as long as the team supports him, then I'll be rooting for him as well.

7. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

8. Win

Win Contributing Member

Good post! I feel much the same. It's just with Fitz, you just know the minute you feel comfortable, he will turn from GoodFitz to BadFitz.

9. Buck Turgidson

"Just do [this], it can't possibly be worse" is one of the dumbest arguments around.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"I just want to see"

11. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

"we have nothing to lose"

/team is 3-1

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

/thread

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

Apparently after he injures Fitzpatrick in an "inappropriate" sideline celebration.

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Mallet is up for a new contract.

Doubtful we put him in this year unless there is no other choice.

Even if we think he can be the starter going forward, all playing him does is inflate his resigning price.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I thought the same thing: Hopkins slowed down. And it still took an incredibly good play from the DB to make the INT.

The tip I pin on Fitz only because he's small and those things happen more often to smaller QBs. But it wasn't necessarily a "bad" interception, ie him throwing it into double coverage, etc.

He makes some throws that make you wonder if his eyes are open, for sure - but he makes up for those with his legs, which have been extremely valuable thus far.