1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA.com] Rockets’ Johnson aims to go from second round to the top

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rookie34, Jul 22, 2014.

1. da_juice

da_juice Member

Johnson probably won't nearly be as good as Parsons. Undersized shooting guards usually dont command too much money. I doubt he gets anything more than what Avery Bradley has.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

One of my friend's hooked up with him at a party. Bayless had/has a lot of issues, the guy isn't very coachable.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

LOL, story time?

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I think he'll settle somewhere between Shannon Brown and Baron Davis.

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I feel nick johnsons' game will fit Houston real well. I think he will see playing time sooner than later with Dabiels and Canaan possibly sent to either the Dleague or traded.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

He played 13 games in about 16 days with 2 or maybe 3 days of rest.

That's about half of a college season.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Being an undersized shooting guard pretending to be a PG led to pretty big contracts for Derick Rose and Russell Westbrick so sometimes they can command a ton of money.

8. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

That's either really well thought out, or really random.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As a freshman, Gordon did everything and more than Johnson did as a junior. Gordon was also the #3 recruit out of HS prior to his freshmen year.

And then Gordon proved the 7th selection wasn't even high enough for him. Are you saying Nick is Eric all over again?

When you do it as a freshman, and leave for the draft, you're obviously going to get picked before someone who took 2 more yrs to develop as a junior.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Except there's a massive skill difference between those two guys (both of which were highly touted coming in and taking in the top 5) and Nick Johnson.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe, but at heart they are all highly athletic undersized SG's pretending to be PG's. We'll see how Nick Johnson progresses, but I'm pretty sure I'd rather have him than either of the other two given that one is a complete moron with the ball and the other is broken. If Johnson progresses as a defender like he should and adds some kind of 3 point shot, he'll be VERY good.

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually dribbling the ball, IMO, he is pretty good. He's not flashy, but he is so strong that he dribbles really forcefully. He maintains control and keeps it tight and low. He's not going to dance and weave and spin and borderline carry the ball on hesitation moves. Rather, he sort of runs over defenders.

Johnson vs P Beverley will be interesting in practice, because Johnson doesn't seem like he's going to be that affected by that physical, tenacious defense. I don't think you'll be able to "beat him up" and throw him off his game.

On the other hand, passing is a work in progress. There were a couple of entry passes to DMo last night that were painfully ugly.

He's not ever going to be an assist machine, but I ultimately see him as a hustle / defense type back up point guard.