1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Ravens @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 16, 2014.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

BOB didnt know his head from his ass to start the season. It wasnt until the Cleveland game where the OLine stepped it up and BOB got a clue on how to call an offense. Just because BOB benched Fitz doesnt mean that Fitz wasnt being held back by BOB's offensive game plan.

You bring up the fact that Fitz was 1-4 in games against winning teams... First off, this is the same Texans team as the 2 win team from last year...to expect them to have winning records against playoff caliber teams is a stretch. Secondly, Fitz is not the reason why we lost those games...except for the Philly game. That game, he played his worst game of the year, and that is the main reason he got benched the following week. You cant put all those losses on Fitz, as the entire team had a hand in those losses (allowing Hilton to go off for 220 yards, allowing Pitt to score 24 points in two minutes, not wrapping up Romo for the bomb TD pass, etc...).

The point Im making is in regards to your assertion, and others, that continually mention that Fitz is nothing but a back up QB...which is just absolutely false. What Im saying is that Fitz was a top 20 NFL QB this year. I dont care if it was because BOB was the coach or that it was a fluke 13 games that Fitz played...bottom line is that he played well enough to be an NFL starter for at least 10-12 teams this year. Again, this leads me to believe that some of you fail to understand the reality of the QB position in the NFL today. I think many of you grossly overestimate what an "average" NFL QB looks like.

And no, I dont want Fitz as the Texans starting QB next year...because I want a top tier QB. However, the Texans dont have many options moving forward, so we gotta deal with the hand we're currently dealt. I think Fitz is better than Mallett though...more mobile and better accuracy. I dont care much for "big" arms because reading a defense and placing the ball are more important than throwing hard. (Source: Jay Cutler)

Again, dispute the list Ive put out there...if Fitz was so horrible this year, how is it that he was better than the QBs that almost half of the NFL teams strutted out this year?

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Hah, this is so rich.

So it was BOB holding Fitzpatrick back..... All this time I thought it was Fitzpatrick's noodle arm, poor awareness, and inability to go through his progressions that was crippling BOB's game plan.

Only time will tell.. If you're correct in the theory that Fitzpatrick is better than all those guys, he should have no problem landing a starting gig.

As of right now, you are in the extreme minority. I'm happy to see Fitzpatrick has some fans... He seems like a good enough guy.

3. rezdawg

Stafford...I watched every single Lions game this season (Stafford was my QB in fantasy). At best, Stafford played slightly better than Fitz...and at worst, he played right on par with Fitz this season. He's the one guy on the list that was questionable. I put him on the list mostly because Stafford was very underwhelming this season. I know one thing though, it was incredibly frustrating watching him play...he left many points up on the board (Detroit was 23rd in scoring)...the Texans, under Fitz, scored more points per game.

How was Orton better? What did you see in his game that makes you think he had a better season than Fitz?

Vick is a joke at this point in time.

Newton...Fitz had more TDs, less turnovers, threw for a better percentage, had more yards per attempt, had a better rating...and had a better record (even though the Panthers play in the worst division in football). No way it can be argued that Newton had a better season. Newton is most definitely more talented, but the production was definitely not there this season.

Sanchez...again, what did Sanchez do that was better than Fitz? The Eagles had a strong grip of the division and the playoffs...and that was all pissed away with Sanchez as QB.

4. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

you realize the Texans were very much in the playoff race at the time of Fitzpatrick's benching? (4-5)

it's not like the Texans were 1-8 & were in full blown evaluation mode.

do you think BOB would slam fitzpatrick to the media? if you do... i'm not sure you've been paying attention. that's not BOB's style. he switched QB's because he felt Mallett gave the team the best chance at winning.

if mallett did not tear his pec, fitzpatrick would be on the bench with a healthy leg.

after seeing savage "run the offense", it's clear as day why BOB went back to fitzpatrick after mallett's injury.

5. rezdawg

Yeah, BOB was terrible to start the year. So was the OLine. And no, Ive never said Fitz was awesome...but he was average.

I love how you keep avoiding the list I gave you...yet you claim that he's not starting material in the NFL.

6. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i agree to disagree.

you: Fitzpatrick is an average NFL QB.

me: Fitzpatrick is an average back up NFL QB.

the offseason will prove who is right.

#proofisinthepudding

7. rezdawg

At the time of the benching, Fitz had just had his worst game as a Texan (against Philly)...and the Texans only had a better record than 3 other AFC teams.

If a move was ever going to be made, it made sense to do it during a bye week, to give Mallett (who BOB has adored since before training camp) the shot to turn things around.

8. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

what exactly are you saying? texans needed to win games, BOB made the move that gave the Texans their best chance at winning... Nothing else to it.

9. rezdawg

Again, avoiding the list. Every time you post, you're just showing everyone that Im correct in that Fitz had a better season than at least 12 NFL starters.

If Fitz is a Texan, he will most assuredly be a back up because he is in no way the future of this team. It would make zero sense to start him because the Texans need to find their QB of the future. And if Fitz is a Texan, it should show you how highly they think of him...because it really doesnt make sense to bring him back when BOB loves Mallett, we just drafted Savage, and a rookie QB should be coming on the scene too.

10. rezdawg

You said the Texans were very much in the playoff race...which isnt accurate. There were 12 teams ahead of the Texans in the conference rankings at that time...Fitz came off a terrible outing...and the team needed a change, a spark, or some evaluation of what else they have to work with.

If hindsight is 20/20...the Texans may have had a chance for 10 wins this year if that move to bench Fitz was never made. We lost with Mallett against Cincy...and that was the worst QB play of the Texans for the season. Average QB play could most definitely have given the Texans a W.

Just because BOB made the call to bench Fitz doesnt mean it was the right call. Looking back on it, had Fitz never been benched, the Texans, at worst, would be in the same position they are in now...and at best, they would be controlling their own destiny for the playoffs. Correct? That's not debatable. BOB could have very well goofed up with that decision.

11. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

i avoid your list because almost all of those QB's would have had good years under BOB as well. especially if BOB scaled the offense back like he did for Fitzpatrick.

it's getting to the point where i don't even know what you're blathering about... one moment you're telling me Fitzpatrick is an adequate starting nfl qb, the next you're saying if Fitzpatrick is a texan he's "most assuredly a back up".

Seeing that the Texans are one of the most QB starved franchises, if Fitzpatrick is an adequate starting qb, i think BOB would roll with him and never look back. in reality, that's all BOB needs because he's a damn good coach.

clearly BOB isn't on the same page with you regarding Fitzpatrick seeing that he benched him for an unknown commodity in the middle of a play off race despite Fitzpatrick's glorious statistics.

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

you really are something.

fitzpatrick was 1-4 against teams with a winning record leading up to the cleveland game (who was 6-3)... but yet, BOB made the incorrect decision by starting the guy who beat cleveland and unfortunately tore his pec shortly after.

attacking BOB is not the correct path to go in your quest to brand Fitzpatrick as a viable NFL starting qb.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

If you THINK you have a secret weapon in your backpocket, no better time to bring it out than when you need a playoff push. I agree that he felt Mallet gave the team the best chance of winning. It doesn't mean Fitz was playing horribly.

14. rezdawg

We won the Cleveland game because of our defense and our running game. Geno Smith would have won that game for the Texans too.

Mallett should have never played in the Cincy game...or he should have been pulled once it was evident the guy was consistently off the mark by 10 yards on all his throws....yes, thats on BOB for continually rolling with Mallett there.

15. rezdawg

I know, this conversation is pretty difficult to comprehend.

Fitzpatrick has no future with the Texans because the Texans need someone they can roll with for a decade. Just like Carson Palmer is a good QB...the Texans wouldnt jump on a chance to sign him and start him next season. Fitzpatrick was an adequate starting QB in the NFL THIS season...yet, he has no future on this team because he's 32 years old and the Texans should be searching for a QB that has potential to be a top 10 QB. Not that difficult to grasp buddy.

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

lol, and how do you know this?

seems like you attend high level texans meetings.

right now you're already making excuses as to why fitzpatrick wont start for one of the most qb starved teams in the league.

keep the excuses and baseless speculation coming, it's quite entertaining!

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You are fighting a battle you can't possibly win. You could adequately prove your case 1000 times and he still wouldn't be able to grasp it.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Gotcha. Missed that. Lol.

19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    It looks like he maybe wanted to tell Walt he was number 1 :grin:

1 person likes this.
  20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Regardless of one's feeling about the Texans QB position, had Fitzpatrick not been benched, at worst they would have lost every game since then and, at best, they would have won every game. There is no way to know that they would be 8-7 (at worst), had Fitzpatrick remained the starter.