1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jan 27, 2015.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

No removable back trend is BS.
    Having to send your entire phone in after your battery goes bad is stupid.

2. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

From android polices article, it seems the usb C port isn't an official usb C? It's only usb 2.0 which means it doesn't have the supported bandwidth for 4k video output and reversible power transfer? It just has the reversible connector. Is that correct? No NFC and wireless charging kind of sucks but I guess corners has to be cut somewhere. I'm pretty amped up for the moto announcement tomorrow. Hopefully moto x and moto 360 are announced.

3. BiGGieStuFF

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

On a separate note, I finally took the chance to try out Windows 10. I actually got a Lumia 640 from work (which fyi is a damn good phone for less than $100) Frankly it outclasses plenty of phones that are $200-300. I dont even know why they called this an upgrade of the lumia 635, this is almost an upgrade over the Lumia 925/930. Plus it has all of the bells and whistles (native wifi calling, native VoLTE support, full LTE band support for AT&T and T-Mobile including Band 12)

The downside is that it runs Windows Phone 8.1. The last time I used Windows Phone was WP7 and at that time there was still growing app development. Many of the apps in the app store seem almost unchanged from when I used them in 2012. I did also upgrade my phone to the latest Windows 10 Mobile build. The UI is definitely much improved and the design language is still my favorite of any mobile platform. Its a shame that the app selection is just beyond terrible.

With that said, the universal app design so far has been pretty cool. Its still a beautiful UI with a totally outdated selection of apps. Plenty of major app developers just gave up on updating their existing windows apps which is a shame.

But with the stupid text message hack going on with android, I'm not touching my android phone until a patch is released. I'm honestly thinking about selling my Galaxy S6 at this point.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

My GF just got a 640 as well after breaking her 635. She is super happy with it. Honestly, if I didn't have the 1520 I'd ponder using that or the 640XL. I usually don't like the removable battery, but on the Lumia it seems like its done right. It makes me excited for the 940/950.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

8. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Windows phone looks nice but the lack of apps is keeping me away

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Outside of the app issue I don't know what you mean. It does suck with the lack of apps, but I'm excited about Continuum. If my phone can act like a PC, I don't really care about apps. Plus, with the android and iOS port tools (the version of Candy Crush on WP is actually the iOS version ported to WP/Windows 10) I think more developer might hop on. Who knows? I've had my complaints about Windows Phone, but hey I've been happy with my experience thus far.

10. RedRedemption

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The porting thing is super risky. It actually backfired on blackberry. Now no one makes native blackberry apps anymore and android apps aren't optimized for blackberry. Plus they dont take into account blackberry's design language which makes some android apps look extremely odd. Plus some of the apps just run poorly on blackberry. The blackberry app ecosystem is basically dead now as a result.

If developers take the time to port their apps and then optimize them for windows phone (preferably modifying the UI to fit the Windows Phone design) then I'll be impressed. But I'm worried because I think Microsoft might have made it too easy to port Android and iOS apps over to Windows Phone. From the looks of it, you basically can just wrap an APK and you're done. That just encourages companies to be lazy with their Windows apps. Hopefully, more developers will stick to universal apps instead of lazy Android/iOS ports.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Still waiting on the 2015 Nexus 5.

It's as if these phone manufacturers are purposely not including one thing that makes it a no buy for me.
    Galaxy S6 - ****ty software
    LG G4 - tacky/cheap design + ugly ui
    Nexus 6 - Ginormous and old generation amoled screen that is low on brightness and prone to burn ins.
    One plus 2 - NO NFC??? LIKE WTF!! also only 1080p screen
    New Moto X - no fingerprint scanner, no usb type c and also ginormous, no ois on camera

Nexus 5 2015, you are my only hope. I do doubt that Google will pack all my desires for a smartphone into the Nexus 5 since it's considered a 'budget device'. Honestly, my perfect phone would be iPhone 6 hardware with stock Android M.

#372 fchowd0311, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

it's fun to get a new phone and all. but when it comes down to it, it's a touch screen to call and text with various programs.

i bought a new iphone 5s when it came out and use it on virgin mobile for $30 a month unlimited text/call and i think 3 gigs of data to go with most of my usage on wifi.

i think more people should look into doing things like this. but if it's money well spent go for it i guess.

14. Victorious

Victorious Member

Nexus 5 2015 as in a 5 inch phone? Yes please. And does the oneplus 2 have a smaller screen now as well?

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

OnePlus Two still has a 5.5" screen

16. RedRedemption

I wonder what the size barrier will be for screen size... seems like manufacturers stopped at 5'5'"-5'7"~ and the ceiling currently is the Nexus 6 with the 6".

17. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I need that Galaxy note 5 to be an 11" phone already.

[​IMG]

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

This doesn't completely solve the app problem. It solves the basic app problem. Apps that are more involved that connect to hardware and such still need to be made from the ground up from what I've read. More or less, this makes it easy for developers who make basic apps like Snapchat and Candy Crush to release on WP. It doesn't solve the issue of developers who make banking apps or those apps that connect to your home security systems have. With that said, the allure to those developers is that Windows 10 will be on tablets, phones, PCs and laptops. So you can code on the universal platform and reach more devices than just a phone. Is this a full proof strategy? Not quite, but it might work. Emphasis on might. Personally, I like the strategy so I show my support into buying into that platform.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Still can't believe the Oneplus 2 doesn't have NFC. That company, rubs me the wrong way.

Although the One plus One has been the best phone I've ever owned.

20. BiGGieStuFF

In my opinion I think Moto X pure stole a lot of oneplus 2's thunder today.