1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey's Top Player Acquisition Targets/Changing my signature

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Mar 15, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He was an All-Star in the East. I would have picked him as the reserve center for the East myself. Who else is there? Chandler isn't playing great this season. Lopez is hurt. (And he's not that good anyways.) Horford is out. Bogut injured. Noah??? Yeah, he beat out Noah.

But he's not a great player. His game has improved. I'll give you that. But he's not a great player. Never will be. Good player. Not the alpha dog we are looking for. Oh............and not available. Dude is still on his rookie contract.

He's not at the top of Morey's list. Maybe down at 20+.

#41 jopatmc, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Fun to speculate, but "the guy" is whatever All- or near-All-Star player, playing whatever position, on the team that needs to save money or rebuild...or needs to rethink the money they're spending on someone.

Dear God, it brings up Gasol and Nene, all over again.

Outside chance: Bosh, once Miami actually looks at their budget and the new CBA.

Way outside chance: DWilliams, but NJ wouldn't have flushed their high draft pick and acquired GWallace without some idea he'd stick it out. (Talk about rolling the dice.)

EDIT: So, I would say, trade targets:

CHRIS BOSH

RAJON RONDO

NENE

PAU GASOL

#42 ROXTXIA, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  3. t0mdotcom

t0mdotcom Member

Here are a few players I could see Morey going after in the offseason.

1. Josh Smith, PF, Atlanta - Smith has wanted out of ATL for a while now. He is set to become a unrestricted free agent in 2013. ATL would be wise to deal him in the summer, fearing he will leave them empty handed once he hits the FA market.

2. Omer Asik - Morey tried to acquire him during last years trade deadline. A legitimate 7 footer. He is a young big that needs more playing time to reach his potential.

3. Andrew Bynum - A free agent in 2013. If we have the cap space, we may be able to offer him a max contract that the Lakers simply cannot match.

4. Ersan Ilyasova - Morey tried to acquire him last trade deadline. A young, athletic PF, who is consistently getting better. his ability to space the floor and his terrific rebounding skills. Super long, athletic and very quick off his feet, Ilyasova has emerged as one of the best rebounders.

5. Deron Williams - We all know Morey has wanted him for a long time.

6. Eric Gordon - Injury prone, but is a young, excellent SG. Still has room for growth and can become a potential superstar.

7. James Harden - I cannot see OKC having the cap room to keep Harden. He is set to become a FA in 2013. This guy is a stud, enough said. Should be a starter in this league.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I disagree... i woulf lovvvve if morey could sign an asik/mcgee/hibbert but honestly i dont see it happenin personally... i believe morey would love jefferson as a rocket... 2reasons

1) hes a productive big who doesnt turn over much... i dont know which and what advanced stats morey and the rockets use but i tend to 'feel'(i dont know his stats and being to lazy to look) he would look good the stats department...

2) hes a HUGE expiring comtract...

2013 is a wayyyy better FA class... and we all know morey loves his flexibility...

I also see us keepin martin unless we get picks and another expiring in a deal... can you imagine al jeffs and kmarts contracts both expiring? I also see us reupping camby to a dalembert style contract (1yr with team option for 2nd yr) as well as bringin back dalembert...

Could you imagine jeffersons(15mil), kmart(13mil), dalembert(7mil), camby(5mil?) Along with all other team options we have comin off the books in 2013?? Thats serious cash to throw around next offseason... and that plan just ScreamS morey...imo...

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I agree with all of this....

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

You should change ur sig to dreamer. That way,all your post already have the disclaimer from the sig.

7. jopatmc

I am going to change my signature after the lottery tonight. Probably should have changed it sooner. I believe Morey's top target right now is Dwight and along with Dwight comes Deron either by trade or free agency. Pau is #2. The only thing that will affect that is if by some miracle we win the lottery tonight.

#47 jopatmc, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  8. leebigez

I'm pretty sure u don't watch as much as me. You're way off on your evals regarding jefferson. He's a upgrade to martin any way you look at it. He's a upgrade to scola because he will also block shots. Hibbert has more value than any rockets player. So do lopez who had 1 bad yr rebounding.

9. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

If we can somehow center a deal for Josh Smith around Scola (would help if ATL coveted him) and sign DWill in FA that could be the beginning of something special. You would be hard pressed to find guys as physical at their positions as Deron and Josh Smith.

10. leebigez

Every team in the league has howard or williams as their top target. The problem is, can they get him. Deron and aldridge are great friends. Both played ball in dallas and have known each other awhile. Williams has made it known that big city doesn't mean a lot to him. How good would that team be with williams and L.A. with batum,2 high draft picks? Or maybe they sign williams and send those 2 picks to orlando for howard. What do you think about that? That's the challenge and the road blocks with your thinking in terms of morey. They don't have the firepower of a team like portland.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I really can't believe that Hibbert is in any conversation. He had some great playoff games, he is a RFA, his max is ~$14 million and the Pacers have $26 million in cap room.

So people take a deep breath and just get over it for crying out loud.

12. jopatmc

They'll have to send out around $15 million in salary that they don't have to send out after they sign DWill. And they have no mechanism for giving Orlando cap relief. I would seriously doubt if Dwight were to be traded there when we can offer so much more. Now, they could make a serious run at Deron. And all that means to me is a higher probability of signing Dwight long-term if we acquire him and there's no way for him to get hooked up with DWill or CP3.

13. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Free agents we should go after.

1.dragic
    2.mcgee
    2.camby

Who we should trade
    Kmart,scola,lowry,

Lowry to phi for lou williams

Scola,kmart, and our pick to nj for marshoon brookd and humphries

Houston line up after everything

Dragic/lou/llull
    Lee/brooks
    Parsons/bud/morris
    Humphries/ppat/dmo
    Mcgee/camby/zeller

14. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Amnesty bear or trade em

15. jopatmc

Changing my signature for a month. Will re-evaluate as soon as Dwight and Dwill are off the table. In the meantime, I believe Morey is doing everything he can to bring Dwight to Houston.

16. jopatmc

Well, it's time to update my list of players targeted by Morey for acquisition.

Now that the scope has changed with the signing of DWill and the trade of Dwight and Morey's acquisition of Asik, these are some of the players on Morey's current top 10 list for possible acquisition.

1a. Serge Ibaka - Serge Ibaka is an elite athlete with great size and length that is still in his career infancy, with some great skills already developed and the talent, drive, and brains to develop even more. I fully expect OKC to push him to the 5 this season and insert PJones at the 4 while benching Perkins to get even more speed. And I fully expect him to become a top 5 center in this league. His body is developing. He's got the size and athleticism to play center. Frankly, I think OKC's plan is to move him to center and to move Perkins out. I fully expect them to match a max offer sheet for him after next season...but....maybe they won't. And maybe they go for a trade of Ibaka for a few of our assets. They are going to find out they are going to need to do something to contend next season in the West with the Lakers. If everything fell right, they could wind up sacrificing one of Ibaka/Harden in order to upgrade their entire team. I'm convinced Morey likes this guy a lot and will do everything to trade for him if he goes on the trade market and will offer him a max contract next offseason if he hasn't already agreed with OKC before then.

1b. DeMarcus Cousins - going into his 3rd season. Has been a malcontent in Sacramento a lot of the time. Still has tremendous potential and is just starting to blossom and if he gives Sacramento trouble this season, I can see them being willing to move him during or after next season. And we've got the assets to make it happen. No other team could give Sacramento a guaranteed lottery pick.

2. James Harden - See Ibaka above. He's gonna get a max offer sheet from somebody. Both Ibaka and Harden are going to get max offers. Remember, the new max contracts will likely fall somewhere between $12-$14 mil. Most likely scenario is OKC keeps both guys, matches the offers, and moves Perkins out to save cap. But if they don't...expect Morey to be on it.

3. Chris Paul - He's going to be a free agent. Probably won't leave Clippers because of money, LA, and his team. And they have added pieces to contend. However, you never know. If the season breaks bad for them and Paul doesn't verbally commit, Morey will be trying to acquire him. He is, after all, a max player.

4. Cody Zeller - Looking at the 2013 draft, this guy is a big difference maker. I think he's going to carry Indiana to a championship. He'll most likely be a top 3 pick, so we either have to tank hard and get some luck or Morey will have to package picks and talent to get up to top 3 to get him. This guy is a difference maker, a future NBA superstar.

5. Shabazz Muhammed - Channel Cody Zeller above. Another future superstar. Acquirable by going to the lottery and getting lucky or possibly trading up to get him with our assets if he falls to #2 or #3.

6. Rudy Gobert - A long, athletic center from France, flushes everything. Should be available through the draft below pick 3.

7. Andre Iguodala - Unrestricted free agent in 2013. Morey will go after him if nothing else materializes with these guys above and he is still available next offseason through free agency. Very doubtful that we can acquire him. Denver will offer him 5-year max deal.

8. Al Jefferson - expiring contract and Utah needs a SG (Martin). Has serious offensive post game, which this team may need. I can see Morey making a play for him if he can get Al cheap and re-sign him to a less than max deal. Don't forget the McHale connection. (However, I am not sold on how much better he makes our team.)

9. Josh Smith - expiring contract. Probably acquirable for a couple guys like Martin and Patterson. And if Motie looks like he's gonna be a stud, would probably be a great fit with Motie and Asik in a big man rotation. Morey likes him. Morey may ask him to agree to an extension before any trade would be finalized.

I did not put Nerlens Noel on this list......yet. I don't believe he's on Morey's list yet. Not until he shows something at the collegiate level. He's very thin and physically underdeveloped and his skillset is extremely undeveloped. He's just a long, skinny kid that can run fast and jump high at this point. That won't do it. He'll have to show some skill improvement or some serious collegiate D enough to outweigh his offensive deficiencies. I reserve the right to add him to the list at a later date. I'm convinced Cody Zeller and Shabazz Muhammed are already on Morey's list.

This list is my list of players that I think have the highest possibility of becoming available through trade or free agent signing that I think Morey values highly.

#56 jopatmc, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think Isaiah Austin could be a realistic option at 4 or 5. Let's hope either the Rockets or Toronto end up at that slot.

We won't be able to move up far enough to get Shabazz. We've heard that song one too many times now.

#57 sammy, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I hope you're on target because that would mean Rox went thru season with essentially the existing roster (less @6 or so fodders).

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

good list.

i agree that okc will match both offers and that paul probably wont leave (where could he go to play with a better player in a bigger market?). i also don't think the bottom 3 will be considered unless DM is able to land an A list player. if any of those guys are the best on your team, you have the 14th pick 3 years in a row. pointless without a legit star leading them. they are all excellent second options though.

finally, i think cousins is the real deal on court. off the court he's always going to be tough to handle. he and evans don't really play well together either. between the two, i think sac will stick with cousins. if he reaches his potential on the court, he will put them on the map, attitude or not. i think they are more likely to move evans.

if evans is willing to put in the work on his jump shot, and on defense, he could be a top 5 player in the league. i'd take a chance on evans. hopefully pairing him with a top 3 pick from next years draft.

20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Gotta think that Rudy Gobert is definitely on Morey's radar. 7'1 dude with a 7'8 wingspan. That alone merits a top-10 selection in any draft (possibly top-5 in this one)