1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonathan Feigen on SR610

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Apr 15, 2012.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

As stated Feigen is more of a voice of the org..... not much of a journalist

2. Raven

Raven Member

And this is why we are zucked, because common sense roster changes are constantly being put on hold, so Morey can land "the big one". Martin, Luis, and Lowry should all be shipped out before training camp, but then boy wonder wouldn't have his prized assets at the deadline.

I'm beginning to think the Rockets won't turn the corner until they get a new owner.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Feigen is the journalistic mouthpiece for the Rockets, he can't bad mouth them.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He does seem to be embedded with them and sits on a lot of info...hell, I am sure Clutch sits on info these days too......

I am sure the Rockets are sensitive and would yank media credentials if they thought someone was leaking something they didn't like.

DD

5. cod

cod Member

It's not the role of a beat writer.

I don't know if grubby headline chasing has ever been considered good journalism.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What common sense roster change would you ship Lowry out for?

7. Raven

Raven Member

Ask me after the lottery order is set.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

There's a big difference between beat writers and independent types.

Guys like Feigen are wedded to the organization. If he puts dirty laundry out there, the players, coaches, and front office all stop talking to him and start limiting his access - teams want things to remain behind closed doors for a reason.

If you get big enough as a national writer, you aren't in the locker room - you're being fed information from agents and GMs and others...all with an agenda (usually an axe to grind). Those guys make their living spreading gossip.

There are a lot worse out there than Feigen, I don't consider him a mindless stooge like John McClain. But he's a beat writer, and beat writers have to play in the sandbox.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Local sportswriters have much more limited bandwith to speak the truth at all costs. After all, if they hack off the wrong party in the Rox organization, they could lose their job. National guys, on the other hand, don't have to worry so much about hacking off the home team. Their sources have motives for giving them the rumors they get.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And he's not allowed to write, "You kidding me? Lowry is being shopped as we speak. If the price is right, he's gone."

11. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've defended Kevin Martin throughout his Rockets tenure. I think he's a good player who has something to bring to a team, just maybe not the Rockets. Before he got injured around February 4th, the Rockets' record was 13-11. During the next month while he was playing injured the Rockets went 9-9. After he was put on IR their record was 12-12. Their final record was 34-32.

It seems to me that a team should miss their highest paid player a little more than that. If they can use Martin to improve another area of the team (center or SF) the Rockets should be primed for considerable improvement. If they could swing something like Martin and Dally for Al Jefferson they could be considerably better without completely revamping the roster or hurting future salary cap space.

1 person likes this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Considerably better? Gasol would be a better outcome. The Rox need two deals of better players to get considerably better. Jeff is small steps.

13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do you really think you could get Gasol for that deal? My point is that trading Martin for any player that upgrades a position instantly makes the Rockets better because they are apparently no better or worse if Martin plays or not. The Jefferson deal makes some sense for both teams and I think would add quite a bit to the team while losing essentially nothing.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Where I was going was simply that Jeff is not a considerable change. It will take two. At least.

Your deal makes more sense for Utes IMHO with an SnT for lee + Dally + #16.

15. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

So why is Feigen breaking the Lowry-McHale dispute now?

16. Raven

Raven Member

Because the news was going national anyway, and it would look horrible if he didn't acknowledge it.

17. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Fegein didn't withhold anything. Lowry spoke out about coaching/defensive decisions multiple times during the season. Fegein is spouting a "not surprised" attitude.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You do realize Feigen wrote the story with Lowry's quotes, right? :confused: I sincerely doubt the Rockets wanted him to.

As for me, this was almost 6 weeks ago:

and you replied to it as if it was common knowledge news:

Now you're acting like Feigen and the media have been holding out on you about a rift between McHale and Lowry.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No, I am implying that Feigen probably has to sit on some stuff because the Rockets would not like it published and that you probably have to sit on some things you hear too.

Not everything that reporters/bloggers hear is newsworthy - sometimes it is just frustration from the players and you guys have to make judgement calls as to whether to discuss it or not.

As for Lowry and McHale, anyone could see that by just watching the games, Lowry was consistently ignoring McHale in the huddle and you could read his body language, he was just not happy. It was common knowledge - IMO.

As for the rest - and people sitting on information - I am sure that goes on every single day at the Chronicle, and everywhere else - and that is not a big deal.

DD

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Well responded to! ;)

One question: yes, I believe KMart's value has torpedoed but has Lowry's? Is Lowry viewed any differently today than one day before injury? Of course had there been a play-off run to elevate or sink the reps of all players...