1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Woj: Rockets Sleeper for Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikeyc913, Jan 19, 2011.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If the Rockets rent Melo, you can bet that Morey has already covered his bases with NY and let them know what he is willing to S&T Melo to the Knicks for during the off season. And he will let Melo know that too, so that some sort of framework for a S&T deal will already be in place should Melo decide to opt out. And Melo would know if NY had agreed to terms and whether he was going to get his big money extension or not.

2. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

What chips? We'll be giving up all those chips for Melo.

The only way this would be reasonable would be if you're assuming Melo can make this team a contender by himself, which is ridiculous. He doesn't even really fix the major problems this team currently has.

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Intentional or not, those teams landed a top young player and built around him. As I mentioned, there are only 3 ways to get a stud...draft, trade, free agency. Remaining an average team keeps you there....average. You need elite talent to win in the NBA. I'm all for obtaining it. I'm all for rebuilding as well.*

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No you wouldn't...you give up redundant pieces like CBud and JHill.....and Yao's contract......

DD

5. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I'm on board with no extension. The fact on the matter is we have too many assets right now. If he truly wants to win, doesn't it make more sense for him to stay in the West? The downside is Denver would and should be reluctant to trade him to a team in the same conference...but its better to trade him to whatever team offers the best return...it beats another Lebron situation for sure. If we really want him here, we jump all over this. He's in a NY state of mind no doubt. But if we can get him here for a taste of this organization, show him the love, and let him experience how much fun he would have playing with Scola, Martin, and Brooks/Lowry. Best case scenario is we become a lock for the playoffs and have a REAL chance of taking down a 1-3 seed and Melo realizes he can win and have fun doing it with this team and inks a deal at first opportunity. Worst case is we lose a few assets, but suddenly find ourselves with plenty of cap space. Plus, it may be in Melo's best interest to be inked before the CBA heat up.

6. MrJason

MrJason Member

I'm willing to trade Hill, Bud, and a first round pick for him.

1) The locker room and fans changes Melo's mind and he decides he wants to take the bigger money and stay in Houston.

Hill + Bud + 1 first round pick + expirings = Melo

2) He decides not to sign an extension but wants a sign and trade to NY in the offseason. Keep in mind that Toronto got 2 first round picks for Bosh; Cleveland got 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks for LeBron.

So we will essentially trade
    Hill + Bud + 1 first roundpick + expirings = Melo rental + 2 first round picks+(maybe second round picks)+trade exception

3) He just wants to leave and sign with NY.

Hill + Bud + 1 first round pick + expirings = Melo rental

Scenario 3 will also clear up roster space for signing a center.

7. Seth

Seth Member

yes... and we live happily ever after.

The guy doesn´t care about winning, he just wants the Spotlight and money that comes from playing in a really big market.
    This was one of the reasons LeBron considered the Heat also, the money he doesn´t get in contract he´ll earn it any other way.
    Our only chance of getting him was if Yao was not made of glass, but he is.

I think Anthony has already set up everything with NY, this is the reason why a) NY has not offered anything really interesting for him. and B) He is talking about some other teams (or his agent) so he is not acused for tampering when he ends in NY.

But it´s pretty obvious.
    Check
    NY does not offer any of their 3 best players, so Denver says no to the trade, so Carmelo goes at the end of the year for free.
    IF NY offered something of value, Carmelo would inmediatelly sing up a max extension and be traded there.

8. joesr

joesr Member

clear up 3 mil for a center? We already got 30mil in expirings

9. joesr

joesr Member

Raptors receive the Heat's 2011 first-round pick (top 14 protected in 2011, if the Heat's own 2011 first-round pick is not in top 14, the Heat will instead send cash to the Raptors) (Chris Bosh trade 07-09-10)

Cavs receive the Thunders' 2011 second-round pick, via Heat (Latavious Williams trade) (top 40 protected in 2011 and 2012, unprotected in 2013) (LeBron James trade 07-09-10)

10. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

I would do a trade with them if they give us Nene or Birdman... We need a defensive center first and foremost... Question is will Denver be willing to give them up?? Or will Denver force us to take on harrington to even rent Melo...

Another point that I see is that the absolute most I would give up for a Melo rental is Yao, Hill, Bud and a pick (maybe add Jeffries to take on salary for them but thats a risk too)... Then we can roll the dice and try to convince him to say, but this is still a huge huge risk... If they try to make us add anything else to the trade I would walk away.

Personally, I think Melo is still too dramatic and supposedly has his heart set on NY, so I think the chance that we would be able to re-sign him is next to nothing. This is why I would rather us pursue other players (i.e. Granger, Iggy).

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

How can you say he doesn't care about winning? He is trying to get out of a quickly decaying situation in Denver for a better situation in New York.

12. MrJason

MrJason Member

I said scenario 3 WILL (not mil) get roster space for a center. Hence the 2/3 for 1 trade.

Also in the trade was

from http://www.sbnation.com/2010/7/8/1559490/lebron-james-decision-nba-free-agency-heat-cavaliers-espn

and
    from http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38176319/ns/sports-player_news

13. everyday eddie

Wrong, why was it that Carmelo wanted out of Denver and to the Knicks even before the season started. Unless he has some psychic powers and saw Felton playing out of his mind, Fields(second round pick) becoming the steal of the draft or the knicks becoming a decent team.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Don't be bitter. Melo has been on a winning team every year, been to the playoffs every year, and been to the conference finals. The Knicks are better than us right now and will have 2 stars deserving of double teams who can create their own shot whenever they want it. Felton wasn't a chump before and he really isn't playing out of his mind. He is doing a little better than in prior seasons, but it's not like he is doing anything crazy.

15. nodstonothing

nodstonothing Member

This is exactly right. We have too many redundant players and an overall mediocre team, we have NOTHING to lose. Getting Carmelo makes us an instant player. If he wants the big payday, he stays here and suddenly we're i n the game to get another big star down the road like Paul or Howard. If he doesn't want to stay, we're in the driver's seat for New York and whoever else that want Carmelo, and will get, at minimum, a couple of first round picks for his sign and trade. The only way the thing could be a total flop is if Melo decides to leave like $50 million on the table and just sign with the Knicks on his own, which he won't do, stars almost always take a deal that results in them getting their max money.

When you're in the situation the Rockets are in, you have to take risks. You only play it safe when you're already an elite team and have a lot to lose.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not so much last night.

17. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

What do Denver Nuggets do now?

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

20-23

22-19

'nuff said :cool: :eek: :(

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nah, not 'nuff. A small difference in records over 43 games doesn't tell you which team is better.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I like the Rockets too, but my point is simply that they have a better record than us right now and they are a #6 seed.