ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Talking Rockets Depth, Trade Possibilities with David Weiner

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves

Sources: Rockets exploring a Yao Ming trade
Tags:  adrian wojnarowski, basketball, houston, houston rockets, injury, insurance, nba, trade, trades, twitter, yahoo, yao ming Tags
delta69er is offline Old 01-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #1221
delta69er
delta69er is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 2010
Member: #47330
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamfellas21
definitely possible. you never know who morey is eyeing until the last minute.
Ya you're right, most of the players that morey has traded for(off the top of my head) have been unexpected to me

"I hate hate hate being left out, whether it's not being picked for a team, or being picked for a team and showing up and finding out that the team doesn't exist-or that the sport doesn't exist; I should've known, poopball?"

-Michael Scott

Sponsored Link
jopatmc is offline Old 01-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #1222
jopatmc
Contributing Member
jopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Sep 2002
Member: #7003
So, here's my thought ff we cannot do any other deals or if we need to do a huge imbalanced trade with another team to help save them money and why I feel like Yao's expiring contract is growing by the minute.

Sacramento or Minnesota

Yao's contract is $17 million. At the trade deadline, he will be owed about half that amount, or less. So, let's just use round numbers for simplicity and say he's owed $8.5 million. So, if we sent his contract to Sacramento, they have to shell out an additional $8.5 million. But we send them a couple million cash (I don't know what the max we can send is and ain't looking it up right now). So, that means they are out $6.5 million. But they're getting $8 million of insurance money besides. So, they actually save money.

So, if we stop right there, we can send out Yao's contract and a couple million dollars. It saves us $6.5 million or so, and we acquire a TPE worth $17 million.

Do you think we could use that to go after Chris Paul?? Or if not become a facilitator to acquire assets by helping the Knicks or Nets acquire Paul?

In my opinion, the value of Yao's expiring contract is growing by the day.

Now we have to build a team that can beat the Thunder, Lakers, and Heat.

Cheerio is offline Old 01-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #1223
Cheerio
Cheerio is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Aug 2010
Member: #46953
We might as well keep him if we get nothing in return. It will also help in the off-season if he wants to resign here for cheap.

devilsdandruff is offline Old 01-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #1224
devilsdandruff
devilsdandruff is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Jul 2009
Member: #43110
there's a sticky thread on trading Yao.

jmwilliamson is offline Old 01-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #1225
jmwilliamson
Contributing Member
jmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio
We might as well keep him if we get nothing in return. It will also help in the off-season if he wants to resign here for cheap.
Apparently you don't understand the potential value of a 17 million dollar TE.

Interesting idea, jopatmc. And the maximum amount of cash we can include in a trade is three million dollars.

DaDakota is offline Old 01-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #1226
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Mar 1999
Member: #331
Jopa,

Come on, this should be in this thread:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread...3&page=1&pp=20

DD

Blurr#7 is offline Old 01-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #1227
Blurr#7
Contributing Member
Blurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hereBlurr#7 is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Dec 2007
Member: #28751
If Melo ends up in NY I can almost guaratee CP3 will too.

jmwilliamson is offline Old 01-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #1228
jmwilliamson
Contributing Member
jmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejmwilliamson is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Dec 2002
Member: #9133
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdandruff
there's a sticky thread on trading Yao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDakota
Jopa,

Come on, this should be in this thread:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread...3&page=1&pp=20

DD
Only I, and I imagine many others, haven't visited that thread in over a week. I did visit this one.

jopatmc proposed an idea I hadn't heard discussed and it brings about interesting possibilities. When you consider all of the pointless crap that gets it's own thread around here I can't believe you guys don't think this merits it's own discussion.

glimmertwins is offline Old 01-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #1229
glimmertwins
glimmertwins is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineglimmertwins is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineglimmertwins is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18267
I can all but guarantee Paul isn't going to be traded now that Stern and the NBA control the team. They are going to have to find a new buyer for that team and Paul is the type of player that can generate interest from potential buyers because of his marketability - a bankable star. It's a lot harder for Stern to sell a franchise with no marquee star than it is to sell with one. If Paul leaves that team it's either going to be by free agency at the end of his contract or in exchange for another marquee type player.

I CAN however see Stern trading Ming for him even if Ming doesn't play another minute. Potential investors with interests in Asian markets would jump at the chance to expose themselves to a team led by a cultural icon there.

"Everything looks like a nail to a hammer."

DaDakota is offline Old 01-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #1230
DaDakota
Contributing Member
DaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldDaDakota is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilliamson
Only I, and I imagine many others, haven't visited that thread in over a week. I did visit this one.

jopatmc proposed an idea I hadn't heard discussed and it brings about interesting possibilities. When you consider all of the pointless crap that gets it's own thread around here I can't believe you guys don't think this merits it's own discussion.
Actually, those are not my rules, they are the rules that Clutch put in place, I am just pointing it out.

DD

Last edited by DaDakota; 01-13-2011 at 08:38 PM.

jopatmc is offline Old 01-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #1231
jopatmc
Contributing Member
jopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved herejopatmc is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Paul was one idea.

What about Indy and Granger? Atlanta, Smith? Detroit, Monroe and trash? Or build for next year....Cleveland.....Andy and Jamison......Cleveland would have to throw in picks for taking that salary dump, but it might be worth it if they would turn loose their lottery pick. Memphis....S&T Gasol.

rockets934life is offline Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #1232
rockets934life
Contributing Member
rockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donerockets934life is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2007
Member: #28025
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopatmc
Paul was one idea.

What about Indy and Granger? Atlanta, Smith? Detroit, Monroe and trash? Or build for next year....Cleveland.....Andy and Jamison......Cleveland would have to throw in picks for taking that salary dump, but it might be worth it if they would turn loose their lottery pick. Memphis....S&T Gasol.
I think Indiana and Memphis make a lot of sense for Yao as both need financial help. Granger fits what Morey is looking to acquire with Yao's contract and the Rockets could absorb Posey's contract to get Granger along with offering up young assets and the 2012 pick.

Memphis makes sense because they need to shed salary to sign some of their guys this summer. Thabeet, Mayo and even a longshot in Gasol could all be options for Yao's contract, young pieces and again the 2012 pick.

To be perfectly honest, Melo is fantastic but he brings along so many questions, I would really like Morey to make a run for Thabeet or Gasol and at least lay down the frame work for Granger. If they choose to wait on Granger, maybe something could be done during the summer.

“We were all told by the league he was a tradeable player, and now they’re saying that Dell doesn’t have the authority to make the trade?” said an NBA executive who had periodic talks with New Orleans throughout the process. “Now they’re saying that Dell is an idiot, that he can’t do his job. [Expletive] this whole thing. David’s drunk on power, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the players, and he doesn’t give a [expletive] about the hundreds of hours the teams put in to make that deal"

DaDakota is offline Old 01-13-2011, 04:13 PM   #1233
DaDakota
Contributing Member
I would love CP3, though I think he is a punk.....and am worried about his knees......

But I don't think the NBA can trade him while they are trying to sell that team, it could cause issues with new ownership or other teams if they think the NBA is being unfair.

I think CP3 is screwed...and will get stuck with the franchise tag when they finalize the new CBA.

DD

BimaThug is offline Old 01-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #1234
BimaThug
Contributing Member
BimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure goldBimaThug is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Member: #359
Quote:
Originally Posted by jopatmc
So, here's my thought ff we cannot do any other deals or if we need to do a huge imbalanced trade with another team to help save them money and why I feel like Yao's expiring contract is growing by the minute.

Sacramento or Minnesota

Yao's contract is $17 million. At the trade deadline, he will be owed about half that amount, or less. So, let's just use round numbers for simplicity and say he's owed $8.5 million. So, if we sent his contract to Sacramento, they have to shell out an additional $8.5 million. But we send them a couple million cash (I don't know what the max we can send is and ain't looking it up right now). So, that means they are out $6.5 million. But they're getting $8 million of insurance money besides. So, they actually save money.

So, if we stop right there, we can send out Yao's contract and a couple million dollars. It saves us $6.5 million or so, and we acquire a TPE worth $17 million.

Do you think we could use that to go after Chris Paul?? Or if not become a facilitator to acquire assets by helping the Knicks or Nets acquire Paul?

In my opinion, the value of Yao's expiring contract is growing by the day.
Very creative idea, jopatmc!

Unfortunately, the only team that has close to enough cap room to make something like that happen is Sacramento, with ~$14.2M in available cap room. The Kings would have to trade away a contract or two in order to get to $17M+ in cap room to maximize the Yao trade exception.

Of course, Morey could gamble on what the new maximum salary might be under the new CBA (and to what extent current max salaries are carried over), but he may end up falling short of that figure. Remember, trade exceptions cannot be combined with player salaries, and they are not subject to the "125% + $100k" rule to allow flexibility for matching purposes, either.

Still, if the goal was to generate a huge trade exception to use at some point during the next twelve months (after Yao is gone, or even if Yao comes back as a free agent), that idea is definitely worth considering.

alethios is offline Old 01-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #1235
alethios
alethios is Omer Asik -- working the boardsalethios is Omer Asik -- working the boardsalethios is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Jun 2008
Member: #32552
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilliamson

Ok this feels like twilight zone. What happened - did jopatmc's thread get merged to this one?

leebigez is offline Old 01-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #1236
leebigez
Contributing Member
leebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneleebigez is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Jun 2001
Member: #2700
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDakota
I would love CP3, though I think he is a punk.....and am worried about his knees......

But I don't think the NBA can trade him while they are trying to sell that team, it could cause issues with new ownership or other teams if they think the NBA is being unfair.

I think CP3 is screwed...and will get stuck with the franchise tag when they finalize the new CBA.

DD

There will be no franchise tag.I've seen you throw that out and its not happening.

Why do so many posters think teams are dumping money? Didnt we hear about how predatory the rockets were going to be and they have been the team dumping salary.

That really sucks, man. I feel for you. I've only seen 2 games in the NBA (one to see Jordan and another to see Yao), but I worry about paying big bucks to see Lin play with McHale as coach. I'll just have to wait it out. There's no way I'm driving all the way to Portland to sit in the cheap seats or watch Mr. 4th Quarter sit in the 4th quarter.

CVcrew is offline Old 01-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #1237
CVcrew
Contributing Member
CVcrew is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2004
Member: #15990
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigez
There will be no franchise tag.I've seen you throw that out and its not happening.

Why do so many posters think teams are dumping money? Didnt we hear about how predatory the rockets were going to be and they have been the team dumping salary.
I look for the owners to put "something" in place (if not a franchise tag) to keep it much more advantageous for the "home" team to resign their own drafted players. IMO after what happened to Cleveland and Toronto I think the owners will put something in place to prevent that from not happening EVER agian. IE the lottery. It may be something that limits how many max money players you can aquire via free agency or something that compensates a team, say if you sign their player you owe them your next so many draft picks unprotected. You get the idea. I just can't imagine it staying status quo.

DaDakota is offline Old 01-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #1238
DaDakota
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigez

Leeb, I will bet a month of sig time that there will be a franchise tag, or some facsimile of one.

DD

jopatmc is offline Old 01-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #1239
jopatmc
Contributing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimaThug
Very creative idea, jopatmc!

Unfortunately, the only team that has close to enough cap room to make something like that happen is Sacramento, with ~$14.2M in available cap room. The Kings would have to trade away a contract or two in order to get to $17M+ in cap room to maximize the Yao trade exception.

Of course, Morey could gamble on what the new maximum salary might be under the new CBA (and to what extent current max salaries are carried over), but he may end up falling short of that figure. Remember, trade exceptions cannot be combined with player salaries, and they are not subject to the "125% + $100k" rule to allow flexibility for matching purposes, either.

Still, if the goal was to generate a huge trade exception to use at some point during the next twelve months (after Yao is gone, or even if Yao comes back as a free agent), that idea is definitely worth considering.

I thought I read somewhere that we were high on Pekovic at one time. We could do the same deal with Minny, send them Yao and $3 million and take back Pekovic, or Darko, or Koufos and Brewer, enough salary for Minny to fit him in.

pbthunder is online now Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #1240
pbthunder
Contributing Member
pbthunder is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2002
Member: #3749
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamfellas21
definitely possible. you never know who morey is eyeing until the last minute.
yeah, Morey reminds me of that snake in the Jungle Book cartoons.

I have to side with DD on the Franchise Player thing. I'd say there's a 70% chance of that happening.