1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why not go for two?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Oct 5, 2014.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You're on the road and your offense blows goats.

Why send it to OT? Chances were VERY much against the Texans getting that close to closing out the game again.

Always baffles me when coaches go conservative like that when the odds say be aggressive.

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would have gone for 2 there. They had the cowboys on their heels with all the momentum.

3. Houston79Astro

Maybe one day you can make the call. I would of went for it, but that's not my job.

4. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Stop with the hindsight! If he goes for two and fails the b****ing would be much worse.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If he had gone for it . . .. I would not have been mad.
    Esp if it was on the LEFT SIDE with Foster

Honestly . . .in overtime. . . When the 3rd and 2 failed
    I kind of wanted him to go for it on 4th and 2

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  6. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

game on thursday too. should have done it

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I was initially thinking the same thing, but after your team valiantly closed a 9 point deficit with 30 to 40 seconds...why risk it. Take the tie, and go play defense. Regardless, the team had to play defense for about 40 seconds... The Texans were one play from getting the ball back in OT: a tremendous catch by Dez. Got to give him props for it...and we have to move on.

If we missed the 2 point attempt, we would have to attempt an onside kick and recover with less than 44 seconds on the clock...This team isnt good enough yet to take such high risk plays

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Going for 2, and making it, would not have guaranteed anything... Cowboys would have still had a chance to drive it down and kick a makable FG for the win.

I also don't see how there's so much confidence in a team making a 2 yard conversion with a short field, when they couldn't get a much needed 2 yard conversion in OT with a full field.

The biggest plays of the game were the Watt missed-sack turned into long TD (gave the lead and momentum right back to the Cowboys), and the missed OT 3rd down conversion.

9. ln3012

ln3012 Member

exactly. so let's break it down.. 1) go for 2, you don't get it.. you lose. 2) you get it, you can still lose. no coach in the NFL would go for 2 there. lots of reasons we lost, this is definitely not one of them

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Maybe under the old OT rules this is a possibility, but when it's not sudden death, it's pretty hard to justify potentially throwing the game away. I'm sure it's pretty offensive to your defense as well.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Because they weren't playing Madden

/Thread

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The chance of Fitzpatrick and the offense converting on one single 2 yard play is a helluva lot higher than Fitzpatrick connecting a series of offensive plays, driving 80 yards, and getting a touchdown.

Normally, what you said would be right, but not with this offense.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As rhino17 said, underdogs can justify these risks. But as TheFreak said, it's insulting to your defense to do so.

14. Jaegermeister

Jaegermeister Member

I was hoping for a JJ Watt 2point conversion

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Bingo.

I'll take one shot at getting 2 yards over asking Fitzy to take us 80 (provided we even get the opportunity) any day of the week, ESPECIALLY when on the road.

People poop their pampers at suggestions like this, but the odds really do say go for it.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet they couldn't get 2 yards in OT, with the full field/playbook at their disposal, that would have put them 20 or so yards away from getting a FG.

They also didn't need to go 80 yards to "win the game"... getting the 2 point conversion would not have guaranteed the victory... and not getting the 2 point conversion is certain defeat.

The odds do not really say to "go for it"... and if you really think that, somebody should probably be changing your diapers shortly.

17. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The whole point of this thread is that the higher risk play was sending it to OT instead of attempting to move the ball 2 yards. I can't see how anyone thinks OT was a good idea given the sudden death rules and how piss poor the offense had been.

And as we saw, sending it to overtime guaranteed nothing either. I feel ok about asking the Texans defense to stop the Cowboys from moving the ball 50+ yards in 30something seconds with a 1 point lead.

This line of thinking doesn't really make sense considering the fact that the same end possibilities exist when going for 1 as well. The plain fact of the matter is the Texans were outplayed virtually all day, especially on offense, by the Cowboys and extending the game was not a good idea.

18. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

And yet, here we sit with a big fat L on the record.

The 1 point conversion didn't guarantee crap either, apparently.

Don't forget the talcum powder.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's just part of what Madden has done to casual NFL fans, now people believe that you should always go for it on 4th down, always go for 2, they think a QB sneak ALWAYS works for 2 yards, and they think that they are better at play calling than NFL OC's based on the fact that they went 16-0 in franchise mode.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But they didn't stop them... a flukey missed FG did.

No... by taking the point, you immediately eliminated the nearly for-sure risk of losing the game in regulation if you don't get the 2 (and u then don't get the on-sides kick and get into FG range with zero timeouts).

They were not only lucky to be in position to tie it... they were lucky the game went into OT thanks to the missed FG.

Again, no matter what odds you look at, there's no chance in hell they ever should consider to "go for 2", when it doesn't guarantee a victory and a non-conversion guarantees a loss.

I'm pretty sure when they had 2nd and 6 from mid-field, you weren't lamenting the Texans chances in OT... they had a better than 50/50 shot at that point of winning the game.