1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley has a torn meniscus (UPDATE: Will not require surgery, expected to return)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by loveofthegame44, Mar 28, 2014.

1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Luckily, it's a Patrick Beverly thread, so all the talk about Lin should quickly give way to details and discussion regarding RT @ #PatrickWolverly and his injury/recovery.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It would be great if we could rest him until the playoffs, but without Dwight and Lin struggling I could easily see us losing HCA. Blazers are only four games back.

3. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I think Asik will play better against Brooklyn, and so will Lin. Obviously Beverly needs to rest for a while, regardless.

4. yummyhawtsauce

this is the most insane fanbase I've ever been in contact with (save for a few old school reasonable rockets fans), it's unhealthy to be this obsessed and to hate one player this much, find some fulfilment in your own life, write down your career goals, get a job, pay off all your credit cards or something

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

based on this gif i can now deduce that Lin obviously does not work out in the gym.

he is fast like speedy gonzalez but if he can be knocked off balance so easily he should really work out in the gym more to build up his upper body strength, he cannot be bumped back so easily, very disappointed. This reflects poorly on his commitment to developing his body and probably his diet as well.

6. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Agreed. LOFs might have been the bane of CF's existence at some point, but almost guaranteed now, every thread that gets derailed into a Lin thread (that doesn't start off as a Lin thread) is from a LOFH. Someone who bashes Lin. Then after a few Lin bashes, inevitably a LOF responds (or heck, just anyone says anything supportive of Lin, it needn't be a LOF anymore) and then LOFH's (i.e., a lot of people on CF haha) pile on and complain about how LOFs have ruined the GARM and how deluded they are and why it always turns into a Lin thread, etc.

It'd really be humorous if it weren't so damned irritating.

7. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I'm just glad he didn't need surgery.

Won't have the lingering effects that WB has had and gets to return earlier than expected.

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Good advice. You should follow it. I've only seen you post in threads that somehow have to do with Lin

You're right. We're pretty passionate about our team. That includes all our players, one way, or another.

9. adobo

adobo Member

I swore, I clicked on the last page of the "Patrick Beverley has a torn meniscus (Update: Will not require surgery..." thread to get some more info....but i think it accidentally diverts to one of the Jeremy Lin threads...Oh wait

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

well years ago I only knew about TDS and they was pretty much a consensus that cfs was insane LOL

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Great news about Beverley.

Hope dude isn't injury-prone. His injuries have been freakish and the rib injury was kinda weak. He needs to prove he can stay healthy.

12. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Yeah I am pretty ecstatic about the news. 2-3 weeks is not that bad at all. I was afraid of 12 o_O

We can make it through the first round without him, if need be, but not the second, imo.

13. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Cfans is insane. I agree. Haha

But that guy is constantly b****ing. He prob doesn't even lift.

Speaking of which, Bev has master race genetics.

1 person likes this.
  14. torocan

torocan Member

*yawn*

It IS completely overblown because Jump Passing is a staple in the NBA among a LARGE number of players and is not nearly the sin at the pro level that it is at the high school/college levels.

http://hoopspeak.com/2011/02/up-in-the-air-is-it-ok-for-nba-players-to-leap-before-looking/

NBA players jump pass ALL the time. Steve Nash did it a TON. So does Kobe, Wade, Lebron, and countless other players.

Is it possible that the problem with the Jump Pass is NOT the jump pass itself, but that it's a decision making skill that takes time to develop?

Do you *really* think that if the Rockets wanted ZERO jump passes in the game from Lin that you wouldn't see adjustments in his style? Or perhaps this is part of his development... not unlike forcing Post passes to Dwight even though he's far from good with his post up play?

Of course, in some people's minds Lin is a finished product. That's in spite of PG's having a longer than normal development curve, and despite players of all positions continuing to develop until the age of 27 or 28.

They ignore the efforts and growth young players go through, and casually ignore that Dragic took NINE years to get to his skill level today, or that Lowry is in his 7th season in the NBA and was unimpressive for his first four years. Or that Kidd took 6 years to find his stride.

Nope, Lin is done. He's not there, and he'll never get there.

Forget that he's only 25 years old, that this is only his 3rd season getting minutes in the NBA and 2nd full season playing regular rotation minutes. Forget that he's been asked to change his role multiple times since he arrived on the Rockets. And Forget that despite his up and down performances, over all he's been an integral part to Winning far more games for the Rockets than losing.

I sometimes wonder if some of the stuff posted in these threads is more indicative of the lack of patience of the current video game generation, or more people trying to fit a player into a narrative in spite of actual play.

The amount of factually incorrect drivel I see on the boards some days is mind-boggling.

"Lin will get torched. We need Beverley to shut down Curry."
    Fact : Beverley has NEVER shut down Curry. They have been similarly effective at best.

"Lillard will eat Lin alive."
    Fact : Lin has ALWAYS played Lillard well and defended him extremely effectively.

"Lin can't go left."
    Fact : No longer true. Lin's actually developed his left hand in the previous 2 seasons. While not as strong as his right, you see him drive left fairly often. And occasionally finish left.

"Beverley is a MUCH better 3 point shooter!"
    Fact : The differential is 2%, which is statistically within the margin of error. In other words, it doesn't mean anything.

And so on, and so on.

However let's just keep on crucifying Lin. After all, scapegoating is a long honored tradition in human history. He's the guy that costs us games! Not when other players have off shooting nights, or high turn overs, or play poor defense. Not the coach who sometimes makes bizarre substitutions and calls highly predictable plays.

Human beings aren't perfect. Lin isn't perfect. He shows flashes of great play and flashes of bad play, and he has a fair share of nights where he's simply mediocre. In other words, he's playing like he's a work in progress like the VAST majority of players at the age of 25. The sooner everyone (LOF's and LOH's) learns to accept that the less silly some of these posts will be.

Just some things to think about...

2 people like this.
  15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I'm so sick of this Lin topic.

All this has been argued ad-nasueum and everyone has their take.

Two things I do want to address about the post above:

1) Lin jumps in the air because he has nowhere to go more often than not. Or else he wouldn't be flailing his body midair and turning his head around desperately to find any teammate he possibly can.

2) 25 is actually rather old. Basketball prime is said to be 27-32. By 25 or so you pretty much are what you are. You can make incremental upgrades but the whole "hes a young guy" take is overblown.

Btw. I actually really enjoy watching Lin play when he does well. It's quite enjoyable. Hope to see more of it.

16. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

hahahahaahah LOF's are hilarious

17. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

torocan - Way to deflect the facts. There is a difference between jump passing with the intention to jump and pass compared to running into the lane at full speed and jumping up in the air without knowing what to do next. It isn't that hard to see that. He does it more than once every single game.

And to compare Steve Nash to Lin? LOL!!! Nash had some of the best court awareness and passing skills in the NBA during his prime. Nash never picked up his dribble either. Lin picks up his dribble on the 3 point line sometimes. Good try though.

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Wasn't Dragic like 25 when he was having a regression at the suns, then they traded him to us?

he was averaging 7.4 ppg on 42% and 27.7%, silly to put the clamps on him just cause he hit X age

Lin is 'old' but he did spend a lot of time in the weaker ivy league which didn't expose a lot of his weaknesses, his time in NY he could do everything he wanted which masked his a lot of his deficiencies, this is the first few years of his career when he hasn't been allowed to do whatever the hell he wanted on the court, and he's obviously having growing pains. but to say he can't get better is silly

19. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

torocan, you lost me at Lin and Bev are similarly effective on D against good PG's. Yes Bev doesnt shut down superstar guards but no one does, but he makes them work hard for their points. I normally agree with your posts though. Im not bashing Lin either, I like him and wish for him to succeed. But when posters start saying a defensive difference inst really there between Bev and Lin it points to bias. Just my opinion.

20. jdhu

jdhu Member

Well, as I said, Caanan's potential is interesting. However, posters are talking of him as if he is some sort of savior. Let's keep perspective; he has something like 100 minutes of game time, ever.