1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maybe we can trade for Shareef Abdur-Rahim?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by suddenimpact, May 20, 2003.

1. suddenimpact

suddenimpact Member

I believe with all these really unrealistic trade purposals for Garnett or some of the other ones on here, I believe maybe trading Cat and Griffin to Atlanta for Shareef would really be something that could work. I remember at one time Atlanta was willing to trade him. And with Atlanta being in the eastern conf., I think this trade could work. Shareef is a PF that averages around 20 and 10 and would help Yao greatly down on the blocks. With MoT and Cato coming off the bench I believe that would be great lineup. Shareef is much better low post guy than Griffin. We could then move SF to the 2 and sign a FA like Kenny Anderson to run
    the point and were looking at a lineup like this:

Anderson
    Francis
    Posey
    Rahim
    Yao

How about that?

2. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

stop posting.

1 person likes this.
  3. suddenimpact

suddenimpact Member

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

suddenimpact... dont worry that is all Greg posts.

He is one of those people that has a little hamster running around in his head instead of a brain.;)

5. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

i dont think that would work.. kenny anderson? tha hell? i'll just moochie norris thank you.. and i would pick griffin for SAR anytime.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I finally know what SAR means. The guy gets mentioned so much in trade talk, the BBS has started using his initials. That's funny.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

SAR was offered, but probably for Rice and EG, as those salaries would match.

If this is even possible, I wonder about two things: Les Alexander's wallet; and the luxury tax.

8. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

our needs are banger, shooter, and pg. SAR is a great player, but he and his high salary dont fit our needs. Thats really all there is to it.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am a bit uncertain about SAR.

I think his contract sucks (max deal) but it will run out in 2 years I believe so perhaps it is not TOO bad. Is he a 3 or a 4? In the East he seems to be a 4 but in the West he played more of the SF role in Vancouver. He is 6'9" and 240lbs compared to Eddie Griffin who is 6'10" and 232lbs. If we believe Griffin is big enough to play the 4 spot than SAR certainly is. SAR is still only 26 but perhaps has maxed out his talent? Tough to tell. SAR is a career 20ppg, 8rpg scorer shooting 47% from the floor. Not bad!

I question whether Griffin will EVER be as good as SAR is "offensively". SAR has much better handles, is more exlosive and has a better looking jumper. Griffin has a better 3pt shot but that is about it. SAR even averages 3 assists a game. Griffin is clearly a better shot blocker than SAR but defensively they probably are about the same which is average.

SAR is getting paid right now to be "the man" but I really think he is better suited to be a team's 2nd or 3rd option which if he were in Houston he would be the 3rd option behind Yao and Steve. I still believe that the Rockets need a 3rd star type player added to the mix but I am not sure if SAR is that player. SAR needs shots to be effective and I think we all agree that Yao and Steve should be taking the most shots on the team. We get upset that Mobley takes shots away from Steve and Yao so we would probably feel the same way about SAR. This is in contrast to someone like an Elton Brand that would be able to score in other ways with offensive rebounding and such.

In the end, I am not sure if SAR is the answer but I do feel that Griffin will never be as good an offensive player as SAR will be. Does anyone really feel Griffin will ever be a 20/8 guy?

10. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

peleincubus, if you want me to make you popular around here just ask me, don't taunt me with weak insults.

11. CrazyJoeDavola

Has Rahim every been on a winning team? He has played with a couple of decent PGs in Bibby and Terry. How would he turn our fortunes around?

Shareef doesn't strike me as a "difference maker".

12. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SAR works out pretty well at the three. He's not too expensive for too long, as Deuce notes. His next contract will be determined within that time, so he has incentive to produce. Team Yao, Steve and SAR with a big defensive 1 like Alvin Williams and a banger 4 like PJ Brown and you have a very nice team.

Yao
    P.J. Brown
    SAR
    Steve
    A.Williams.

That's pretty strong. The really good thing about SAR, besides good scoring, rebounding, and size, is his contract's not too long. You have the chance to move him pretty quick if it doesn't work.

13. SLA

SLA Member

Deal!!!

I'd like him.

But Mobley and Griffin for him....will that be equal salary wise? We'd have to add Moochie to make it more balanced. :) And they could add a 2nd round pick.

SAR is pretty good. He's always been a loser...but OH WELL! He's like Jamal Mashburn...right now...he isn't really the 1st option. I like him. I'd love him.

Alvin Williams...try to get him or one of those Eric Snow type point guards...just not Eric Snow.

And PJ Brown would be great. Kenny Thomas. One of them.

Try to get rid of Cato.....don't need to resign Posey.....but would be nice too.

Try to get rid of Taylor.

14. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

ATL would gladly accept Rice + cap filler for SAR. They have no use for him, and want Rice's expiring contract.

15. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

People might be tiring of this, but may I once again suggest we try to get Marko Jaric if we insist on moving Steve to the 2? I love that guy's game.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am not sold that ATL would give SAR away JUST for an expiring contract. That would be PART of it, but not just for it. I think the rumor near the trading deadline was Rice+Griffin or Rice+Griffin+Mobley for SAR. Ceartinly the latter trade is ridiculous from our end but Rice+Griffin for SAR is not too far fetched. It really depends on how much Griffin is valued to you. I personally think Griffin still has a lot of value on the trade market.

17. CrazyJoeDavola

Quick question: I fully understand the value of an expiring contract for the purposed of establishing room under the cap for FAs, but what use is that to Atlanta?

They are not exactly a hotbed for FAs. In fact, I can not even think of the last above average FA that signed with them (one that was worth or would be worth $9MIL).

18. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Re : Value of Rice contract to ATL

ATL is blowing up their team. They want out from under the max on SAR. They also have Big Dog and Ratliff. To replace SAR with Griff (rookie scale) is a good deal for them. The deadline deal was Rice +Grif for SAR. That's a good deal for both.

I'd send Mobes too, if necessary, but perhaps I see more value in SAR than Deuce does. Obviously better if you save him to trade him elsewhere. I'd try to send a spare big man to Toronto for Williams and Mo Pete or pick, and get PJ with MCE. PJ gets his extra money above MCE when SAR expires; ie, 3rd year here. PJ and SAR both run out before Yao MAXes, and we can dump the guys we get from Cato or preferably Taylor to max Yao. Cato runs out = with Yao max, anyway.

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

They haven't exactly been under the cap enough to sign fas that often either. The last time they were they signed Dike, when he was still good.

20. Live

Live Member

If the Rocks get SAR, does he play the 3 or 4?