1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Jimmy Kimmel be fired?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TexanCowgirl, Oct 31, 2013.

?

Should Jimmy Kimmel be fired?

Poll closed Nov 5, 2013.
  1. Yes. Promoting genocide is no joke.

14.1%
  2. Yes. Can't expose kids to the idea of killing.

8.2%
  3. No. It's just a joke about the Chinese.

77.6%
  4. Not sure. But I am thinking what if it's the Jews or the African-Americans.

23.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. itstheyear3030

By that logic, white people should be more easily offended than blacks, which if the poll from a few weeks ago on the D&D is any accurate measure, no one really believes.

Besides, you do realize that there has yet to be a study on penis size that conclusively links it with race? Even the most sound studies out there suffer from self-reporting issues, sample size, and other statistical problems. Furthermore, even if we take these studies to be viable, they have, at most, found a half inch difference on average between the various races. If you think that makes a difference in the bedroom, you're probably doing something wrong, which is probably why you're so fixated on Asian d*ck.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

LOL...

3. ILoveWhiteGirls

Don't even sweat it, another dumb ass just trying to be funny. It's the internet, they got nothing else better to do.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You need more poll choices because yours are all bulls**t. If the kid had said we should kill all the people in England, would that be saying something hurtful about all the white people in the US? It wasn't racial, it was geopolitical.

The only problem with this bit is that it perpetuates the irrational fear of China buying US T-Bonds.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DtlFQ_nNaQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There it is. A well reasoned post. It's accurate, and no Kimmel shouldn't be fired.

6. itstheyear3030

It always amazes me how little people know about this country's founding document, but want to use it as a cover when they say something stupid. All the posters talking about "freedom of speech" clearly have no idea what it really means. Freedom of speech does not mean that people are free to say what they want without repercussion. It simply means the government can't do anything to stop people from saying what they want, and even this right is sharply circumscribed (i.e. the yelling fire in a crowded theatre thing, subversive speech, etc.). Nothing aimed at Jimmy or ABC thus far has been government action, and private parties are free to try to restrict speech as much as they want to, whether it be through financial means or social pressure.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

While I do agree of the overly-PC nature of the modern world, I also think Kimmel would know this and should have chosen not to show the segment. I'm no fan of censorship but you just know how something like this will go over: like a turd in a punchbowl.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I watched the segment and while in poor taste I don't see any reason to fire Kimmel or even get worked up much other this. He clearly is incredulous at what the kids are saying and is playing the straight man to the kids comments. For anyone taking this seriously as hate speech on the part of Kimmel or the kids consider that the kids give contradictory answers on whether people should be forced to pay back money.

These are 5 year olds and anyone who has spent time around 5 year olds know they say crazy stuff including shooting and killing people. It's not that they are necessarily violent and racist but that they don't know any better and are exposed to violence in the media. They really have no concept of the implications of what they are saying. It is clear from Kimmel's body language that he isn't condoning this or approving it.

For the record I am ethnically Chinese and travel to China frequently for business and family. Also I've criticized before media and other figures using racist language and stereotypes. For example Shaq going "Ching Chong Chung". It is one thing for a 5 year old to do something like that but Shaq is an adult. Also what is far more potentially damaging was this ad which is deliberately playing on paranoia for political gain.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2-E2IhOc58k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Kimmel bit is comedy and even more so is literally showing how childish such attitudes are.

Finally to the poster who said that comedians or a television network wouldn't do something like this if it was about killing caucasians this is from SNL.
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VtuYWlh6fJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

did you end up losing your vplates?

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

True you are absolutely correct that freedom of speech doesn't protect people from criticizing or calling for someone to be fired over speech. I don't see a First Amendment issue over this, unless the FCC steps in, but I don't see any compelling reason to fire Kimmel over this.

11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

While I agree that it's overtly PC, I feel that the organizations are primarily demanding fairness and equality. You can guarantee that if the kid said a similar comment about other minorities, it would NEVER make it out of production.

There is a double standard in America, and I think the organizations are just trying to equalize it.

12. IPSAC

IPSAC Member

ILoveWhiteGirls is Chinese

1 person likes this.
  13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Great Post. /End Thread.

1 person likes this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

People are just too freaking sensitive nowadays - headlined by most Americans...

15. ILoveWhiteGirls

LOL, nah it's just that I respect all walks of life and don't make an ass out of myself on internet forums. It's good that you replied, I got to you. You were doing something and I got your attention.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Did someone say Chinese Villians?

Yeah I know this is old but it is just so badass.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jLtADOd1sRU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. ILoveWhiteGirls

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/xrvot3v6um4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/xrvot3v6um4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/0HEitZ06oRY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/0HEitZ06oRY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

18. IPSAC

IPSAC Member

Are you sure I didn't get to you? I mean after my first post in this thread you were so offended that you messaged me and now you add my name in your sig

and your so Asian.

19. IPSAC

IPSAC Member

and Asians are always so offended, they think Mchale is a Racist for benching Lin. LMAO

"Everyone sooo mean to Asians"

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he should be fired and replaced with ho chen

1 person likes this.