1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2nd All star Returns in

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Jedster

Jedster Member

Did you just call asian voters of Lin and Yao stupid and shameless?
    And you're asking people not to be a dumbass???
    :confused:

2. langal

langal Contributing Member

Wow. So at least 99% percent of Lin's vote came from Asians? Who is being ignorant and stereotyping here?

From your post I take it that you honestly believe that Yao was not deserving of being an All-Star. I'm sorry but you lose all credibility. Your disdain for Asian fans is clouding your judgement.

3. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

The all-star voting has always been that way. That's why Grant Hill and Vince Carter always used to lead all-star voting, even when they were injured. The most heavily marketed stars are the ones who get the votes. Jeremy Lin falls into that category. Why is this any bigger of a deal than when Steve Francis was voted as a starter two years straight? Steve was a flashy, exciting player who did really well in the dunk contest. Francis was pretty good, but he was never one of the two best guards in the Western conference. Nobody was freaking out when he was voted an all-star starter.

All this pissing and moaning is irrelevant anyway. Everybody relax. Lin is not going to be voted a starter or selected as a reserve. Once the teams are announced, nobody is going to remember or care who finished as the third place vote getter.

4. langal

JJHardlin might remember.

5. lfw

lfw Rookie

All-Star votes are just a rough measure of which players have the most fans. It has never been based on merit.

6. TebowTime

TebowTime Member

Noob question: What's LOF?

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Lin Only Fan

1 person likes this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this is a pretty true statement. Not sure why you are getting so much hate. You would have a hard time convincing me that non-asian voters even had a small part in giving Yi Jianlian and Sun Yue votes.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

Wasn't Grant hill put on the nomination ballot for the Clippers this season when he hasn't even played yet? I believe it was Grant Chauncey, CP3 & Blake that the Clippers selected. Anyway I found it funny that Chauncey & Hill got the nomination from the Clippers when guys like Jamal Crawford are having amazing seasons.

Just goes to show you that, the all star system is a popularity contest. Stern would be an idiot to change it now because of Lin. I remember when Allen Iverson got voted in & he missed so much of the season. If the NBA didn't change it then they definitely won't change it now anybody suggesting otherwise is tripping.

Anyway, I look forward to watching Lin in the skills competition, Parsons in the sophomore game & Harden as a reserve on Sunday.

10. Jedster

Jedster Member

Cos he wasn't talking about Yi or Sun maybe?? Why bring them up?
    I posted in the thread earlier two links to that little boy Naim in NY who was crying about Jeremy Lin leaving NY.

Lin actually has a gazillion non asian fans. Yes, he is that charismatic whether you like to believe it or not. And even if Lin's asian fans vote for him, that doesn't give people the right to call them stupid or shameless, or even presume Jeremy would be embarrassed.

This goes beyond disapproving of Lin's skills as player. This is something else and everyone else knows what, so I won't need to mention it.

11. Roxs

Roxs Member

Wow ok. The comments here just keep getting more and more ignorant, especially when it comes to race...the broad generalizations, the broad stereotypes, the false assumptions...

I'm a white dude and I find some of the stuff people are posting here racist.

12. JurisDoctorate

Stupid argument is stupid.

Last I checked, any sort of fan voting (in any sport) has always been (and always be) just a simple popularity contest and nothing more.

People expecting the average nba fan to vote based on stats, numbers, or any sort of metrics is like expecting an average fifth grader to choose their favorite food purely based on its nutritional value/content.

And no, I'm not saying the average nba fan is stupid - but rather the average nba fan cares little about actual numbers when it comes to picking their favorite player.

But y'all can continue to discuss how its irrational for fans to vote however the ***** they want to in this glorified popularity contest we call the all star game.

13. Roxs

Roxs Member

Honestly, I think this thread is only going to devolve. Any thread about race gets ugly real fast. If I may suggest, this thread should be closed.

I wrote one post here and get a bunch of rep points (which is something I don't fully understand). Do people rep you to anonymously say stupid things to you? What's the point of that?

Someone rep me to anonymously say this: "stfu drama queen, you read less than 10 peoples' posts then make everyone on CF sound guilty"

I mean, you already have a username on some random website, why make it even more anonymous so that I can't add this person to my ignore list?

14. langal

Yao > Yi
    Lin > Sun

Might as well compare Moses Malone to Billy Paultz.

15. zdrav

zdrav Member

If you were not White, then your opinion would be immediately be chosen to be representative of millions of "your people".

16. zdrav

zdrav Member

Jeremy Lin isn't one of the most marketed players. He's certainly one of the most written-about players, but I don't see him all over billboards and Nike TV spots.

If Lin is still a hot topic, it's b/c people can't stop talking about him, not because the NBA is trying to push him on us.

17. Simone78

Simone78 Member

This thread reminds me that I didn't give Lin my daily vote (from a 100% Italian white guy) today, thanks!

18. torocan

torocan Member

This.

It smacks of the worst sort of basketball Elitism to think that fans should only vote players in that a handful of basketball enthusiasts feel are the most "deserving".

The All Star game is a showcase of the most exciting players for the over all fan base, and whether their box scores are top 5 or not, it comes down to the simple fact that MORE people would rather watch Jeremy Lin lace up and play than would like to see players like Tony Parker lace up and play in this glorified exhibition game.

The Coaches decide the reserves and all NBA first and second teams. Those are your "deserving" picks. The Fans choose the starting line ups in the ASG.

It's always been that way since they brought in fan voting.

If that doesn't fit some fans notions of fair, sorry, life isn't always fair. Just ask the Spurs about their crappy TV schedules and low ratings about how fair the fans are when it comes to popularity contests.

19. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

I think you're right, but the constant denominator people tend to remember is the "Chinese" vote. People seem to be paranoid that Chinese fans will vote anyone that is of Chinese descent. There's going to be people who will point out that the player might become an All-star. This is why people keep have brought up Yi Jianlian, but never bring up Bruce Bowen who had even worse numbers that season than Yi or even Ricky Rubio last year.

Both Yi and Jeremy Lin have had different paths as well, but people like to point to China. Other players like Sun Yue, Wang Zhi Zhi, Mengke Bateer never made it on the top list of All-star votes.

Another funny thing is that if the All-star voting ended today, Lin would not make it but Kevin Garnett would. Garnett is currently averaging 15 points and 7 rbs, with the Celtics battling to even make the playoffs.

20. Jedster

Jedster Member

Guilty...I voted for KG in the East... :p
    Hey man, the guy was a top producing fantasy points baller for years, and he's only got one championship. Feel bad for him.