1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin's upside

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jul 20, 2012.

1. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

The truth is, we really don't know how good Lin can be.

JLin was really getting worn down by the sudden transition to huge minutes and the burden of a glaring int'l spotlight. He's actually in a much better position and situation now for long term success. NY was a friggin' circus and it's a blessing for him to be out.

2. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

the discrediting of lin's game because of linsanity reminds me of the discrediting of rondo's game becase of having the big three. i hope lin can prove to be a top point.

3. redlawn

redlawn Member

It's entirely plausible that Lin could be a HOF guard.

4. Arthurprescott2

Jesus... are you just trolling? Looking for fight with Sigmund? He's started 25 games. Let's see how it goes. He's got promise but let's not hype him up to the point where there's massive backlash against him AGAIN. You do him a disservice by hyping him up like this.

5. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Do you even know what 'entirely plausible' means? :rolleyes:

6. redlawn

redlawn Member

I love Sigmund. I don't have anything against him.

And when was there a 1st backlash against Lin?

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

8. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

I'm a die-hard Nuggets and Broncos fan that became wrapped up in Linsanity. During the good ole' days of the mediocre Knicks, I would browse through the comments' section and the sport boards, to listen to all the miserable Knick fans watch their season go down the toilet. Of course, we all know what happened after that point. I was also on this board, following the ultimate cynic in Glen Rice, getting own'd on a daily basis, as Houston's lottery pick disappeared. I was also on the Knicks' boards, and the ESPN comments' sections, as the adamant non-believers became believers (some returned to their cynicism as soon as he was not matched). It was like discovering the world was round for some people, and even though all evidence points to Jeremy Lin having limitless potential, everyone already knew what his ceiling was. The kid is electric, he brings an energy to sports, that I have never seen in all my days of being a fan. I am addicted to this kid, and I'll try to watch as many games as I possibly can, so I can see this young NBA player develop. Is he an All-Star? No. Is he a Superstar? No. Is he a solid NBA player? No. Is he a scrub? Absolutely not. He will be defined during this contract he signed with Houston, and my time (which is valuable to me) and my money (I will be purchasing League Pass) says this guy has the potential of being great. Will he? Like Spike Lee said, "history will be the judge."

1 person likes this.
  9. jlfans

jlfans Member

10. thekad

thekad Member

This is what I mean with people looking entirely at the surface without putting forth any effort to find out what's actually happening. It's sad to see such willful ignorance when it's not even that hard to find good information.

Tyson Chandler managed a decent +/- despite playing with two of the worst defenders in the league (Melo and Amare) for a load of minutes. Without Chandler, Amare and Melo gave up a truly awful 113 points per 100 possessions. With Chandler, they gave up only 100 points per 100 possessions. A 13 point shift due to one player.

And this guy simply looks at a statline and assumes Lin, Fields, and Jeffries were the three best defenders for the Knicks. Depressing, honestly. It's no wonder Serge Ibaka got more DPOTY votes than KG, Dwight, and Iggy combined.

11. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

I was shocked when I heard the results. Serge Ibaka is a good defender but thats it. He gets a lot of blocks but thats because he is undisciplined and always tries to go for the block which often results in goal tends. He is also a poor rebounder for his position and like I said he is undisciplined. He gets into foul trouble often, can't guard players on the perimeter, and always falls for pump fakes.

12. imarealballer

imarealballer Member

We can go back and forth with the numbers, but ultimately, understanding Jeremy's talents and gifts requires a profound paradigm shift. A big part of the sports world is unable to conceptualize "Asian American baller." The stereotype of "athletic black players" and "cerebral white players" is so deeply ingrained that anything outside of those parameters creates a sense of terrible confusion and disconnect.

On top of that there will be numerous individuals who DO understand that Asian Americans can be great athletes BUT have a scarcity mindset where they believe that great Asian Am athletes receive undue attention and therefore "steal" the spotlight from African American athletes.

Having said that, I believe these two groups, fairly or unfairly labeled "haters," are simply confused and afraid, either due to intellectual laziness or a fear of the unknown, or both.

However, there is an even larger group, a "silent majority" if you will, who are very appreciative of JLin's talent. These folks refuse to engage the ugly racism, or the limiting beliefs of those who seem unable or unwilling to step outside of their conceptual box.

This latter group I believe, is the largest of all of the groups mentioned thus far. It probably does overlap with Tim Tebow's fan base as well. And can you blame them? The pro sports landscape is inundated with crybabies, divas, and an astonishingly large criminal element. To see athletes who are humble and morally principled is going to serve as a long overdue elixir for many.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm barely clinging to the pro sports scene: I've gotten so burned out with spoiled athletes, fixing, rigging and doping, the entertainment factor can hardly overcome them.

JLin's run in NY was just about the best thing I've seen in sports in a long time, and I hope TX gets their proper does and share of linsanity in the days, months and years to come. :)

1 person likes this.
  13. Arthurprescott2

When was there a 1st backlash? You apparently don't live in the US. Or you don't consider the "he's only a backup pointguard" assertions to be backlash against hype. Either way, you hyping him up on this board will create more haters than converts. You are warned.

14. redlawn

redlawn Member

:rolleyes:

15. lightningbolt

lightningbolt Member

What site are you using for these stats? I believe you and am not trying to call you out or anything, just genuinely interested.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Great points.

17. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Care to example why you so adamantly believe Lin will be a HOF player? Lol :rolleyes:

18. 34to11

34to11 Member

Okay, this madness is officially out...of...control.

19. redlawn

redlawn Member

"adamantly believe" <= your words, not mine.

20. redlawn

redlawn Member

note your own words above. :rolleyes: