1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trayvon Martin

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Mar 10, 2012.

1. wekko368

wekko368 Member

When it was announced, I also felt that the prosecutors were overreaching with their original charge. However, I thought he could still be convicted of a lesser charge?

A few of you who have followed the case seem to think he'll be found innocent of all charges. Based on the evidence, why don't you think he's guilty of manslaughter?

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it is interesting...how often does someone running away from someone else become the attacker?

Fight or Flight?

If GZ shot him while getting beat up (which seems a bit improbable given that he'd have to take his gun out and turn off the safety while getting pummeled and hoping his attacker didn't notice the gun) - the gunshot would be at point blank range.

Ballistics test should establish the range at which the shot was fired. If it was more than 3 feet then that would be extremely incriminating.

3. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

That's exactly what I was thinking. I actually posed the question of why didn't Martin outrun him? I know it wouldn't have been a problem.

But no one wants to realize that was a possibility. All they see is an unarmed (unknown by Zim) teenager (17yr old adult, Zim didn't know how old he was) with a bag of skittles was shot, ignoring any other fact presented.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

A piece of info released yesterday that no one seems to have mentioned. Seems Mr. Zimmerman has racist tendencies.

An unnamed woman told an investigator in a police interview that she stays away from Zimmerman because he's racist and because of things he's done to her in the past, but she didn't elaborate on what happened between them. "I don't at all know who this kid was or anything else. But I know George, and I know that he does not like black people. He would start something. He's very confrontational. It's in his blood. We'll just say that," the woman says in an audio recording.

An unnamed man told investigators said he worked with Zimmerman in 2008 for a few months. The man, who described his heritage as "Middle Eastern," said Zimmerman bullied him at work. Zimmerman wanted to "get in" with the clique at work who did not like the man, so Zimmerman exaggerated a Middle Eastern accent, and made reference to terrorists and bombings when talking about him. "It was so immature," said the employee, who complained to management about Zimmerman. Zimmerman's parents say he wasn't racist. They said he mentored black students and had a black relative.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...dZIECQ?docId=3f268f957ba44ecdba44ed43b71e48e1

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's clear is that GZ wanted a confrontation, and TM didn't initially. But at some point, TM decided to give GZ what he wanted. It didn't go so well for GZ, and either while he was getting beat up or sometime after, he shot TM.

The question is, how much does it matter if GZ shot him while he was getting beat-up vs. afterwards, and is there enough evidence to show which way it went.

Either way, GZ giving chase after 911 told him to stop should result in some kind of charge and penalty.

6. edwardc

edwardc Member

again how do you know who started the fight there only one side that can tell it's story.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it matters unless they charge him with manslaughter. Instead they believe they have a case for Murder 2. So I think he'll be tried on that.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Correct, but if they identify themselves as an armed person is running around the home where an armed intruder was reported, it might be too late. They don't have to come in with guns blazing to later open fire on an armed person in the place.

9. edwardc

edwardc Member

No that doesn't make you wrong your defending your home.Martin was not in zimmermans house he was walking to his fathers house there is a difference there.

10. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

With all do respect, that's pretty ignorant of you to say. And I mean that in a nice kind of way.

Think of the possibilities. A dispatcher has no authority to give a lawful order or command. What a dispatcher tells you is merely a suggestion. I will make my own decisions as I see them fit. I make my decisions based on my own safety and welfare.

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

And your decisions can be wrong, and can be used in a trial if one happens. You are still free to make those decisions no matter how senseless they are.

12. wekko368

wekko368 Member

A dispatcher's instruction is more than a "mere suggestion". It represents the best course of action that you can take to help both yourself and the police.

GZ's disregard of the dispatcher's instructions can easily be construed as "grossly negligent" which would be the basis for a manslaughter charge, wouldn't it?

13. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

A dispatcher has vacarious liability in their scope of employment with the department. The dispatcher was not there to see what was going on. The dispatcher can't tell someone to engage in anything. Even something as simple as following someone in this situation. If Zimmerman was killed by Martin beating his arse, and the dispatcher told Zim to follow, they'd be like the protestors at the Harris Co. court house today (unemployed).

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

You've said nothing that contradicts what I wrote. And that must mean you agree that GZ was grossly negligent in his disregard of the dispatcher's instructions.

I think you owe Lou an apology.

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Which is why a dispatcher would tell GZ not to follow Martin. If GZ had done that, an innocent youth would still be alive and GZ would not be facing murder charges.

There was no reason to follow Martin.

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL you're in a life or death situation do you call 911 for

a) lawful guidiance and direction
    b) unlawful suggestions

17. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

I simply pointed out that of course a dispatcher is not going to tell you to do anything because of their liablity. That's their default position.

So arguging that he ignored that dispatcher's "commands" is pointless. It doesn't matter.

18. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

I suppose you could just sit back and not pay attention to anything, and let thiefs run amuck. But unlike you, Zim cares about his community and took on the caretaking role.

19. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

I don't call 911 when my life is in danger. I take care of myself.

Zim also wasn't in a life or death situation. He wanted the police to come check on something and they didn't get there fast enough.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

With all do respect, that's pretty ignorant of you to say. And I mean that in a nice kind of way.