1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[$Tip Jar Bet]Marcus vs. Kawhi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CXbby, Jun 26, 2011.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'd say I am about 70,000 or so posts off from your "old style". But just the mere mention is one of the most damning insults anyone could ever bestow upon me. I'm going to go take a cold shower now, and probably won't be back for a week just to punish myself.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hey at least now you know.....and I am not the first one to say it....heheh.

Enjoy the shower.

DD

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Lenard reminds me of a guy we just cut.... DeMarre Carrol.

I like MM and anyone that wants to argue "he played PF in College so he is a PF" is WAY off. Does anyone remember that Battier played center on a national championship team in college? I'm pretty sure he's not still playing center.

4. herro

herro Member

Marcus Morris WILL play the 3. He's an excellent player on the wing as well as in the post.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Morris does not need to "rekindle" play making skills or ball handling skills. He did both in college in limited opportunities in college as well. He was able to shoot from the outside, drive in transition when opportunities were available and is a sufficient passer. Yes... in college they did change his style of play and position because there was a major prospect above him when he entered college. They left him at PF because he did so well, and they were in a win-now situation.

I have concerns over what Morris will eventually end up being, as to whether he will be able to use his size and quickness appropriately in the NBA. However, if you watched him in college then you know his handles and play making are not that of a PF, but a SF.

6. Nook

Nook Member

You are a glutten for punishment. He played SF in HS. He was recruited as a SF at KU. He played PF at KU because they wanted to get him minutes right away, and there was a major prospect ahead of him on the depth chart. He then stayed at PF because he was very successful and better than any other option they had at that position, and because they had other players who could adequately play SF.

He did a number of SF friendly drills for the Rockets, and a few other teams. There is tape of some of these drills which show his ball handling and shooting. Indeed, if you watched him in college you would know he is a good ball handler and a good shooter already.

My question is whether he is offensively quick enough to get his shot off consistently, but even this is promising.

Your better argument would be that you do not believe he is quick enough to guard 3's often enough to play SF.

7. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Love the highlight they always show of m&m drilling the turnaround all in cleavland 4th round pick thompson! Marcus is the real deal! The dominant threes in the nba are not running through screens they are isolated which marcus will do just fine holding his ground

8. Bo6

Bo6 Member

9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Xavier Henry didn't join KU's team until Marcus' sophomore season. Marcus was their starting PF at the end of the regular season his freshman year.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That's just young people now days DD. They like to feel vindicated and rewarded for simple things. He said with the power of the internet, he's watched the guys play. Persnally, I know I've had to call in a few favors to watc all the games of players because they weren't on the internet. It wouldscare me a little that the spurs gave up hill to get into position to get leonard knowing their draft history. Maybe morey out foxxed pop or maybe its the other way around.

Like I said before, it would've semed more reasonable to just trade for one of the t'wolves tweeners (randolph or beasley) and use the 14th on the usc center than to draft morris. In time we will see, but I guess we will have to endure the I told u so threads by cx.

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Didn't Boozer play center on that team? I think Battier played PF on that team. Either way, your point is taken; he's a three in the NBA.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Very difficult to say with any certainty that DM has outfoxed Popovich. The Spurs simply don't make many drafting mistakes. If the Rox's draft history over the past 11 years matched that of the Spurs, then they wouldn't find themselves in their current predicament. Because of this, I'm inclined to give the Spurs the benefit of the doubt. That aside, Morris may indeed be the answer at SF. It's hard to say with any certainty until he gets on the court and demonstrates that he can play against NBA caliber SFs. I do like your reasoning on trading for Randolph or Beasley and giving the USC center a try. YouTube videos aside, I just don't see Motiejunas as a 5 which tells me that they are once again pinning their hopes on (yet) another Yao Ming comeback attempt.

In DD's defense, he sometimes falls too much in love with certain players and that's OK (V-Span anyone?) with me. CXbby is doing the same thing here with his man-love for Morris. If it works out, then great but I have been watching the Rockets for far too many years to know that while they can sell hope and optimism with the best of them - it's the production of concrete results where they continue to fall short.

#92 HillBoy, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  13. justinh

justinh Member

i dont post often at all, mostly just read and take it all in, but i do check the hot topics of the bbs almost daily. anyway, the back and forth between CX and DD is pretty funny.

that said, i hope you are right about Morris, CX.

14. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

A little off topic but DD, are you planning on making your annual pre season vid? Its pretty entertaining I must admit. It takes some balls to show your face on camera for everyone and I respect that. Lol

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanks Spd,

I hope to make one soon, am gathering thoughts.

DD

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I look forward to that, DD. You always do an entertaining job with your take on the draft. :)-

(and gather ye rosebuds while ye may! :-D- )

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

DD

Just take the bet at move on instead of taking subtle jabs that Cx won't be right.

This is what this thread is about afterall.

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Your gonna be right. The reason is Leonard wont play much but regardless. Marcus would play more because Budinger sucks at defense and rebounding. Marcus is just more skilled. All around.

19. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I don't understand this line of reasoning. The only thing we know FOR SURE is that we(Rocks) valued MM higher than Leonard. We have no idea how the Spurs had them ranked. Just that they valued KL as worth the 15th pick/G.Hill. Plus, we might have had Kawhi right behind MM, and would have taken him if Marcus wasn't there. Ya' never know.

Cx, you do realize that the way it's worded, Morris could be injured 1 year, and Leonard could outget him that way don't you?

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Listen, dawg. You're probably hitting the gym, doing your tanning, and picking up fresh laundry every day. And maybe you've had some success beating up the beat and creeping on chicks in the club. But do you really think your situation is where it needs to be? Be honest with yourself, bro.