1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seven teams fighting for four spots...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HTown5933, Feb 28, 2011.

1. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

I realize the chances of making the playoffs are not likely, but I wanted to see how the other teams' schedules that are fighting for the last four spots looked (as well as ours).

San Antonio, Dallas, Lakers and OKC are assured spots.

That leaves seven teams fighting for the last four spots. Here are there current records as well as the number of road games and games remaining against current teams in the playoff chase.

TEAM.................................RECORD......ROAD GMS.....VS PLAY TEAMS
    New Orleans.........................35-26........... 10.................18(!!!)
    Denver................................34-26............12..................13
    Portland...............................33-26............11..................16
    Memphis...............................33-28.............8..................15
    Utah....................................32-28............11.................16
    Phoenix................................30-27............14.................16
    HOUSTON.............................30-31..............9.................13​

That's 3 back from the 8th seed and five back from the fifth seed.

Only Memphis plays less road games than we do and only Denver plays less teams in the playoff chase.

Twenty-one games isn't a lot. But, it's more than a quarter of the season. And you only have to "make up" one game for every seven played to catch a team that's three games ahead of you. Not likely, but certainly not impossible.

It makes the losses at home to Minnesota and Philadelphia recently hurt even more (not to mention the ridiculously close losses early in the season).

I realize there are many on this board who would rather miss the playoffs - or "tank", as they LOVE to refer to it as. But, it's way too late in the season to do that in an attempt to try to obtain a better draft pick. It makes NO sense at all. None. If you wanted a top five pick, the plug should have been pulled forty or fifty games ago.

3 people like this.
  2. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Nice post! We still have little margin for error. Not sure we have the roster to sneak in the playoffs righ tnow, although I'd love to eat some crow!

3. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

Wow we're not far from it at all. We have to hope that we continue this streak and that a couple of those teams slide.

I think Phoneix is likely to slide but I don't think most ppl on this board want them to because of the pick. Utah will slide for sure. Memphis may slide with the absense of Gay but they still have Randolph to minimize the damage and keep them in the playoffs.

I think it's completely possible to get into the playoffs at the 6-8 spots.

4. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Are you kidding. Memphis won't slide...They have SHANE!

5. NMS is the Best

We have to win 45 games to make the playoffs. That means going 15-6 over the last 21 games. It will be difficult, but not impossible.

6. forty4487

forty4487 Contributing Member

Are you spamming tickets? Really?

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

*Paging Scribergosum*

8. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

Damn that makes sound a little harder. 15-6!? :eek:

I think realistically, they go 12-9. Which means they would barely miss the playoffs again :(

9. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

Yeah, I had 'em going 13-8 to finish 43-39.

Hollinger has 'em going 12-9 also, finishing two games out at 42-40 (again).

But, barring a three or four game losing streak, at least the majority of the remainder of the season should be interesting.

10. ThisIsAlanR

ThisIsAlanR Member

I completely agree with you, i think we'll make it in the playoffs if we continue to play like we have been. i think Pheonix, Memphis(due to their tough remaining schedule) and Utah will slide.

11. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

The only games remaining against good teams are Boston, SAx2, Dallas, Miami, and Atalanta. Also 5 pickems against NO, Phox2, Utah, Philly.

5 of 6 of those difficult games are at home. This playoff spot is the Rockets to lose imo.

12. ThisIsAlanR

ThisIsAlanR Member

Have a little faith.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The question is....

Did Morey help the Rockets chances at making the playoffs by dealing to Conference rivals or help their chance by making the trades with Memphis and Phoenix?

I understand the moves were made with the future in mind, but its just crazy to think about.

-Im pretty sure Memphis is better now since Thabeet wasn't even playing. Battier gives them better defense on the perimeter and veteran presence.

-Phoenix... With the AB the Rockets have had all season long... they are worse off then with Dragon and lose a draft pick. With AB of last season.... they are a whole heck of alot better.

So in conclusion, if Phoenix and Memphis get the 7th and 8th seed in the playoffs, then those picks, Thabeet, and Dragon better turn out to be Moses Malone and Hakeem Olajuwon of the twentyfirst century. Or else we will have witnessed the first bad move by Morey.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

One of those weird things.

If the playoffs were REALLY a goal, well, Morey was certainly in the running for Gerald Wallace. But teams that apple-cart their chemistry mid-season tend to slide in the playoff positioning.

And Wallace being no guarantee of a postseason, seems Morey wanted to keep from taking on big money and even miss the playoffs. Meanwhile, Shane helps keep Memphis in it. If Memphis makes the playoffs, we get their 2013 pick (first round). Phoenix? Come on, Aaron, you can do it! Help us get that 2011 #15-18 pick.

15. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

If we make the playoffs RA has to get some SERIOUS Coach of the Year consideration.

16. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

BUT, on the flip side, maybe dealing with conference competitors was a calculated move by Morey. Remember the conditions placed on the 1st round pick from Phoenix. If Phoenix makes the playoffs, we take their pick. If they don't, we get Orlando's, which is likely a lot lower than Phoenix's draft pick. Perhaps Morey doesn't mind that Phoenix or Memphis got better in the short run.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I see Utah and Memphis taking the plunge. Gotta pray Portland fails.

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Regardless of schedule, I think you can mark New Orleans down for a spot. They're still a strong team, and they're in the best position right now. Probably could do the same with Portland. Position is up in the air, but they're both probably going to make the playoffs. I'd say that we're really battling 4 other teams for two spots. You have to expect Utah and Denver to fall off, so I'd put it between the Rockets, Grizzlies, and Suns for the last two spots. With that it mind, I'd probably put the Rockets' chances at 35-40%. And considering the season, that's not horrible.

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I prefer a playoff push than lottery since it will raise the value of our own players in any possible future trades to hopefully land an all-star plus the difference in selecting 13 to 16 isnt that much.

But at least how I see it:
    Rockets Schedule:
    Code:
    March	Opponent	
     Tue 01	 @ Portland   	L
     Wed 02	 @ LA Clippers  W
     Sat 05	 vs Indiana   	W
     Mon 07	 @ Sacramento   W
     Tue 08	 @ Phoenix   	W
     Sat 12	 vs San Antonio L
     Mon 14	 vs Phoenix   	W
     Wed 16	 vs Charlotte   W
     Fri 18	 vs Boston   	L
     Sun 20	 vs Utah   	W
     Wed 23	 vs Golden St.  W
     Sun 27	 @ Miami   	L
     Tue 29	 @ New Jersey   W
     Wed 30	 @ Philadelphia L
    April	 Opponent	
     Fri 01	 vs San Antonio L
     Sun 03	 vs Atlanta     L
     Tue 05	 vs Sacramento  W
     Wed 06	 @ New Orleans  W
     Sat 09	 vs LA Clippers W
     Mon 11	 vs Dallas   	L
     Wed 13	 @ Minnesota   	W

13-8 to end the season 43-39

of course Best case scenario is that they pick up some Ws where its unexpected but that also means losing games when not expected (like minnesota/philly at home)

those two games hurt big time the team would have been 32-19 and even a 13-8 finish then would have been 45-37 which could mean playoffs.

Grizzlies Schedule
    Code:
     Tue 01	 vs San Antonio L
     Fri 04	 vs New Orleans W
     Sun 06	 @ Dallas  	L
     Mon 07	 vs Oklahoma    L
     Wed 09	 vs New York  	L
     Sat 12	 @ Miami  	L
     Mon 14	 vs LA Clippers W
     Thu 17	 @ New York  	L
     Sat 19	 vs Indiana  	W
     Mon 21	 vs Utah  	W
     Wed 23	 @ Boston  	L
     Fri 25	 @ Chicago  	L
     Sun 27	 vs San Antonio L
     Wed 30	 vs Golden St  	W
    April	Opponent	
     Fri 01	 @ New Orleans  L
     Sat 02	 vs Minnesota   W
     Tue 05	 vs LA Clippers W
     Fri 08	 vs Sacramento  W
     Sun 10	 vs New Orleans W
     Tue 12	 @ Portland  	L
     Wed 13	 @ LA Clippers  W

That would mean the Grizzlies would go 10-11 which would be 43-39 (same as a projected Rockets record) and the Rockets should win the tiebreaker vs Memphis.

Phoenix Schedule

Code:
    February	Opponent	
     Mon 28	 @ New Jersey  	W
    March	Opponent	
     Wed 02	 @ Boston  	L
     Fri 04	 @ Milwaukee  	L
     Sun 06	 @ Oklahoma   	L
     Tue 08	 vs Houston  	L
     Thu 10	 vs Denver  	W
     Sun 13	 vs Orlando  	L
     Mon 14	 @ Houston  	L
     Wed 16	 @ New Orleans  L
     Fri 18	 vs Golden St  	W
     Sun 20	 @ LA Clippers  W
     Tue 22	 @ LA Lakers  	L
     Wed 23	 vs Toronto  	W
     Fri 25	 vs New Orleans W
     Sun 27	 vs Dallas  	L
     Tue 29	 @ Sacramento  	W
     Wed 30	 vs Oklahoma  	L
    April	Opponent	
     Fri 01	 vs LA Clippers W
     Sun 03	 @ San Antonio  L
     Tue 05	 @ Chicago  	L
     Wed 06	 @ Minnesota  	W
     Fri 08	 @ New Orleans  L
     Sun 10	 @ Dallas  	L
     Mon 11	 vs Minnesota  	W
     Wed 13	 vs San Antonio W

This would have Phoenix closing the season out 11-14 and a final record of 41-41

Denver Schedule
    Code:
     Mon 28	 vs Atlanta  	L
    March	Opponent	
     Wed 02	 vs Charlotte  	W
     Thu 03	 @ Utah  	W
     Sat 05	 @ LA Clippers  W
     Thu 10	 @ Phoenix  	L
     Sat 12	 vs Detroit  	W
     Mon 14	 @ New Orleans  L
     Wed 16	 @ Atlanta  	L
     Fri 18	 @ Orlando  	L
     Sat 19	 @ Miami  	L
     Mon 21	 vs Toronto  	W
     Wed 23	 vs San Antonio L
     Fri 25	 vs Washington  W
     Wed 30	 vs Sacramento  W
    April	Opponent	
     Fri 01	 @ Sacramento  	W
     Sun 03	 @ LA Lakers  	L
     Tue 05	 vs Oklahoma   	L
     Wed 06	 @ Dallas  	L
     Fri 08	 @ Oklahoma  	L
     Sat 09	 vs Minnesota  	W
     Mon 11	 vs Golden St  	W
     Wed 13	 @ Utah  	L

Denver is the trickiest team to peg on how they would do because of their huge shakeup. They have been impressive lately riding an emotional high but I would expect them to come back down and close 10-12 for the season. A final record of 44-38.

Portland
    Code:
    March	Opponent	
     Tue 01	 vs Houston  	W
     Wed 02	 @ Sacramento  	W
     Sat 05	 vs Charlotte  	W
     Mon 07	 @ Orlando  	L
     Tue 08	 @ Miami  	L
     Fri 11	 @ Charlotte  	W
     Sat 12	 @ Atlanta  	W
     Tue 15	 vs Dallas  	L
     Thu 17	 vs Cleveland  	W
     Sat 19	 vs Philadelphia W
     Sun 20	 @ LA Lakers  	L
     Tue 22	 vs Washington  W
     Fri 25	 vs San Antonio W
     Sun 27	 @ Oklahoma  	L
     Mon 28	 @ San Antonio  L
     Wed 30	 @ New Orleans  L
    April	Opponent	
     Fri 01	 vs Oklahoma  	W
     Sun 03	 vs Dallas  	L
     Tue 05	 vs Golden St  	W
     Thu 07	 @ Utah  	W
     Fri 08	 vs LA Lakers  	W
     Tue 12	 vs Memphis  	W
     Wed 13	 @ Golden St  	L

The Blazers actually got better after the deadline and with 23 games left i expect them to go 14-9 for a final record of 47-35

Hornets Schedule
    Code:
    March	Opponent	
     Tue 01	 @ Toronto  	W
     Wed 02	 @ New York  	L
     Fri 04	 @ Memphis  	L
     Sun 06	 @ Cleveland  	W
     Mon 07	 @ Chicago  	L
     Wed 09	 vs Dallas   	L
     Sat 12	 vs Sacramento  W
     Mon 14	 vs Denver   	W
     Wed 16	 vs Phoenix   	W
     Sat 19	 vs Boston   	L
     Thu 24	 @ Utah  	L
     Fri 25	 @ Phoenix  	L
     Sun 27	 @ LA Lakers  	L
     Wed 30	 vs Portland   	W
    April	Opponent	
     Fri 01	 vs Memphis   	W
     Sun 03	 vs Indiana   	W
     Wed 06	 vs Houston   	L
     Fri 08	 vs Phoenix   	W
     Sun 10	 @ Memphis  	L
     Mon 11	 vs Utah   	W
     Wed 13	 @ Dallas  	L

With 21 games left I give the Hornets a good shot at finishing 10-11 for the season with a final record of 45-37.

Utah
    Code:
     Mon 28	 vs Boston  	L
    March	Opponent	
     Thu 03	 vs Denver  	L
     Sat 05	 vs Sacramento  W
     Mon 07	 @ New York  	L
     Wed 09	 @ Toronto  	W
     Fri 11	 @ Minnesota  	W
     Sat 12	 @ Chicago  	L
     Mon 14	 vs Philadelphia W
     Wed 16	 vs Minnesota  	W
     Sun 20	 @ Houston  	L
     Mon 21	 @ Memphis  	L
     Wed 23	 @ Oklahoma   	L
     Thu 24	 vs New Orleans W
     Sat 26	 vs Dallas  	L
     Mon 28	 vs Washington  W
    April	Opponent	
     Fri 01	 vs LA Lakers  	L
     Sun 03	 @ Sacramento  	W
     Tue 05	 @ LA Lakers  	L
     Thu 07	 vs Portland  	L
     Sat 09	 @ San Antonio  L
     Mon 11	 @ New Orleans  L
     Wed 13	 vs Denver  	W

Losing Williams will hurt just as much as losing Sloan so I think the Jazz will finish 9-13 to close the season with a final record of 41-41

NOW

All of these are my guesstimations on how games will play out. There will be some games that teams may win that they shouldnt on paper and of course other games where they lose when they shouldnt.

Given my above guesstimations here is how the final standings would look like:

Code:
    Portland 47-35
    Hornets  45-37
    Denver   44-38
    Houston  43-39
    Memphis  43-39
    Phoenix  41-41
    Utah     41-41

Now Houston would get in based on the tie-breaker with Memphis but it goes to show how much those two games vs Philly and Minnesota hurt. It could have meant a possible 6th seed matchup with Dallas or a 7th seed matchup with LA instead of a first round matchup with the Spurs.

Even as it stands this means that every game here on out if its a W on paper the Rockets MUST win there cannot be any slip ups like Minnesota again. And of course if they are able to sneak a W (like against Portland tomorrow night for example) it will be a huge blessing.

right now most of these teams are hard to predict given the recent changes to them (except for portland who just got better and Hornets who sort of stayed the same adding Landry) and so the Rockets really should try to make that playoff push. The good news is that I believe the Rockets own the tiebreakers over Denver and Memphis so that will help greatly in any seeding positioning. If they beat the Hornets one more time they would split the first tie-breaker but lose the second tie-breaker.

Right now the easier schedule and is in the Rockets favor and the coaching staff is going to have to do the best job they've done in a while to get this team into the playoffs. I think having Dragic will help with the second unit though losing Battier hurts big time if Budinger can continue is recent impressive play than it may help the team more than Battier did.

Its going to be a dog fight down the stretch but I think the Rockets do have a good chance in making it.

2 people like this.
  20. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

I think the playoffs are still a goal. Trying to get into the playoffs is something we have some control over. The picks aspect is entirely dependent on those teams. I think Morey just placed bets and is gambling.

I agree that Morey didn't deal for Wallace because it didn't guarantee a playoff spot and because of the future money.

However, I still think Morey's goal is the playoffs. I think he realized that Utah and Denver would lose their center pieces and slide and that Memphis would take a hit with Gay out. We've been a borderline playoff team during the season, maybe these other situations put us closer to the boder.

I think NOLA and Portland will make it no problem. I think Denver and Memphis have a strong chance of falling out but it would take a good losing streak.