1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why don't Rockets players trust the Rockets organization?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by abc2007, Feb 6, 2011.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

You can also call it the Slowmile Swift rule. Swift took a paycut and signed with us for the MLE just so he could get away from Memphis and under Pau Gasol's shadow. 3 months later the Rockets traded him back to Memphis. LOL!

Look man, that's business. However Brooks is making 2 Million dollars for doing something I actually PAY to do (i.e. rent a basketball court). He should suck it up considering how lucky he is.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't get this. EVERY TEAM treats the players like assets. Why not? They spend tons of money investing in the players. There is a business side of this. When players negotiate contracts, it's all business. Both sides seek the best deal they can get out of.

And what's wrong with saying that they would do any move to improve the team?

It only becomes a problem if the front office people actually treat the players as non-human in their human interaction, which I strongly doubt. At least on the surface that I can see, these people look classy and down to earth.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Man, do I miss the days of Carroll Dawson. That guy knows how to treat his players right.

Matt Maloney
    Moochie Norris
    Mo Taylor
    Shandon Anderson/Glen Rice
    Kelvin Cato
    Stro Swift
    Also took on Clarence Weatherspoon's huge ass contract for 3 years
    Am I missing anyone?

Morey doesn't understand that you got to pay em so players will like us. Did you know Mo Taylor signed with us because he "liked" us? Good times. :)

4. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

JF,

This team is a mess, DM has put together an unbalanced roster and players are not happy.

Is it really a surprise that a guy in his contract year would be mad that once healthy he did not get his job back?

Not to any normal rational thinking person it isn't, asking AB to tow the company line when the company basically told him they were unsure if they wanted him by not signing him to an extension.

While AB walking out is inexcusable, the real issue here is Morey's poor "No extensions" policy.

There is where the finger should be pointed....

DD

(Not today it isn't. Maybe the next time he chooses not to extend contracts or the next time there is a new collective bargaining agreement coming. Today, the Rockets have to be concerned with today. And if something is inexcusable, then it is not necessary to make excuses. -- Jonathan)

-------------------------

DD posting on Chron's blog, JF replying it.

5. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

look, if shane battier starts complaining about your front office, something is damn wrong.

look, you're right. it is a business to both parties, the team and the player. that's why i don't get mad at players if they choose what is best for them, or if the team trades a player out of nowhere. it's their choice.

look at what we did to ariza. sure he's a role player. but he came to our team with us promising him a bunch of crap. he underperformed that one year and got shipped out. you would think when he came here, he would be part of our future.

now brooks plays well for one year, and you would think he's part of our future. and he couldn't even keep his damn starting job. people say he has to out-perform lowry, well, at least let the guy start and see how he performs when he starts. he DID lose his job to an injury; i don't know how people can go around that. now that brooks is struggling, it's a wrap.

look richard jefferson struggled last year BADLY, and he still has his starting position. and now he's doing a great job.

i just feel like the organization/coaching staff don't know how to give players a sense of security and confidence. those go a long way with players i believe. you can talk about that in every sport.

i think when brooks came back from the injury and has to come off the bench, that security and confidence he had with the team were over. in his mind, it was basically like, "are you serious?" and most likely that messed with his head and confidence.

brooks has adjusted to the starting job. he worked hard last year to get it. he got the MIP. he made our team better (our team was better last year than now if you guys really want to know) and he has to earn it back b/c of an injury?

i feel for brooks totally.

it's like a job. you did a great job at your company pulling in the sales and become of the best salesman. but you took 3 weeks off for family problems ad someone else sold a lot also and took your spot. you came back from your time off and is notified that you have been demoted. in your head mentally, you would be slamming your boss's face on the table.

6. Arun Sharma

Arun Sharma Member

Instead of me replying, I am grabbing a reply from Jonathan on Chron.com which makes quite sense to me. Here it is:

(I don't know what Adelman could have done differently. He played a guy far more minutes and in far more critical times than his performance warrants. The idea that he should automatically start after six weeks out is ridiculous. He wasn't ready to start then. He was still sore, still struggling. And when he played, he did not play well. It's never about one player; it's about the team. Though I also believe Brooks will regain last season's level of play, I would fault Adelman for showing too much patience. -- Jonathan)

7. choujie

choujie Member

Eddie Griffin for 3 first round picks. That trade alone set Rockets back 5 years at least.

8. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

The MIP Aaron Brooks is taking his talents to MIA and that's Missing In Action. He had an unfortunate injury but has played like a complete chicken head since he returned. What makes it worst about him is he's acting like a complete punk by losing his temper, making silly gestures, and playing like a damn fool when he is given a chance by coach. This turd plays ball like he completely iso his team and coach. Please dont even use those passes to Scola to prove his point this year. He needs to stop acting like he's A.I. and play team ball. He jacks up every shot he gets trying to get HIMSELF back in the game while HURTING the entire team.

From a Rockets orginazation standpoint, his injury may be a blessing in desguise. Why should they extend a player if he cant even bounce back from his first setback? Let alone act like a complete fool with a brain size of a peanut. Getting suspended with superbowl coming doesnt help his case either.

I don't think Daryl Morey has assembled a great team or has a perfect track record in regards to the draft. But I do consider the limitations that he had to work with and the team we have now could be alot worst if we didnt have someone like him.

I would take what DM says about roster moves or trades with a grain of salt due to his constant maneuvering. But in regards to contracts, he has been solid on his words and that policy has not budged nor have there been any discrepancies on what he have said. They will not extend and match what the market price determines.

You may think of Daryl Morey as the Dbag of GM's, if he catches other org's slipping he will rob them. If one of his players does him dirty, they will be dealt with. He values the orginaztion most and everything else is dispensable. You can call him the ALPHA DOG of GM's and he will not be punk'd by his employees, players or competitors.

On the flip side,
    If you show him you can be a professional (Scola, Lowry) he will reward you. Heck even overpay for you!

Im glad Morey is our GM and likes the way he handlles his sht.

9. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

What do you expect in an organization that uses computer models and cold logic in dealing with people. The Rockets are a mess, last place in the conference when expectations were a lot higher, a team of projects and mid-level players that will never win a ring. Les needs to clean house starting at the top using those performance models Morey is so fond of, cut his bonus or fire him outright for a very disappointing season and this team he put together.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Injury or not, i didnt think it was a good idea to bring brooks and lowry back. If the injury never happened, lowry would be sulking like he did in memphis and would be untradeable without his permission.

As far as the distrust, i think it works both ways. Its no different than any other business. Players want to feel wanted and respect. Respect comes in the form of a contract. If you dont want to pay players, trade them and let someone else do it.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you trying to compare Tony Parker who was a final's mvp to brooks?

No freaking **** they extended Tony and Manu. Any freaking team would.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

to be fair, Eddie Griffin's talent was unquestioned, nobody knew his life would be tragic.

that's like blaming the Celtics for drafting Len Bias.

13. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

It is odd. Tmac and now AB. AB deserves less criticism from some people being stupid all the time on Clutchfans driving his value down all the time when he puts up god enough stats at least to get something for him in a trade. Its like people are sabotaging this team on purpose within the fanbase on some players. The organization is also decreasing the value of players before they move them. Such stupidity all the time. In Battiers case at least you know why he gets criticism for not putting up stats and need to move him for age and inability to fit with a team rebuilding. On Brooks? Its almost like people forced this outcome like with Tmac. I think fans and people within the ownership themselves need to start checking themselves on how to handle players and value. It starts with Morey first and the respect he shows and then Adelman who has had two players of high enough clout that soon enough players will stay away from the Rockets if these two allow that to become a bad perception of how the Rockets organization is run. Get it together Rick and Morey and be professionals and handle these things better so they dont happen.

14. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

The way the Rockets and Morey in particular handled the Landry free agency situation, with the comments he kept making about Landry's knee to drive his value down so the Rox could sign him as cheaply as possible, was dirty, especially since Houston didn't hesitate to match the offer sheet he signed without any evaluations being done on his knee.

Whatever the case may be, the perception seems to be acute as far as this issue is concerned amongst the Rockets' players. Some teams may have better reputations when it comes to handling their players while others clubs have a more negative stigma attached to them. The Rockets, as far as I can tell, are in the latter category, and that doesn't bode well for the future of the organization. Players talk and players know other players on other teams, so, whether right or wrong, if this perception of the Rockets as being an organization that views players as easily expendable assets continues, it is going to negatively impact the team's ability to lure in free agents.

#114 Kwame, Feb 7, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

so far the rockets way of handling things hasnt hurt the team yet (imo) until now with brooks which (again imo) has shown nothing else but to prove that they were right. you dont go crazy and overpay for one good season - a season that the org pretty much accepted would be a holding period -

If the Rockets had a legit all-star (let alone a superstar) that was up for an extension that they didnt extend then you can bring this up for discussion but every player that was up for an extension in the last few years were not in that category (Yao and Tmac both fell from that status due to their injuries)

otherwise you get stuck with those long overpaid contracts that plagued the CD era. Those contracts contributed greatly to the major lack of success for the rockets as a team post hakeem/clyde/barkley era.

of course it will weigh on a player but the NBA is a league where you dont just get paid just cuz, you have to keep proving yourself. in the case with brooks if he was given an extension would that somehow magically cause him to play better? no he has been playing like crap since he came back and at least right now the rockets do not have to worry about being burdened with a long term deal for a guy. Many people said that its not fair to judge brooks on this one season alone, which is true, but on the flip side its probably not smart either to throw a large or long term contract at him for stats put up in a 'holding season'

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Lol I saw that on the website. So DD is alive, he's just hiding out until all this stuff blows over and he doesn't look as WRONG as he does now.

Poor DD! He might as well just not disclose his support for individual players publicly anymore. None of us, DD included, wants that player to go into the tank as a result of his words.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is disgusting that some of you are blaming the organization, and not the player.

The same people that were on the side of Scottie Pippen, Von Wafer and Tracy Mcgrady. The quitters... Aaron Brooks owes his teammates and his organization a long, sincere apology.

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

A single instance its on the players. Two its coincidence. A few and its the organizations practices. Hope they start to trade people before hey become problems next time. While they still had value and before everyone knew they were gonna be traded and thought of as expendable for long periods of time.

19. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Agreed. Great post!

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The Guy wined like a baby & walked off the court. Fine. Trade Him. Please get on with rebuilding! Management needs to stop floating these rumors about how interested they are in Bosh, Melo, and Paul when none these stars want to play here. STOP TREADING WATER. DON'T CRY OVER A FREAKIN AARON BROOKS APOLOGY! TRADE HIS A$$ & MOVE ON. MOVE ON FROM YAO, CHUCK, SHANE, & ALL THE OTHER FOLK HEROES ON THIS TEAM! WE'RE GOING TO THE LOTTERY PEOPLE! LET'S GO YOUNG!