1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2010-11

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 22, 2010.

?

Do you think Josh Smith could fit with the Rockets and fill our defensive void?

1. Yes

460 vote(s)
    70.9%
  2. No

95 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. No Way we need someone else

94 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. joesr

joesr Member

so if we hit the 8th seed we still have a chance but not the celtics or lakers? just like the commercial with the rockets and that guy talking over it saying we have heart.

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Nope, we aren't contenders either if that where to happen. My point was that you asked when had the Celtics and Lakers not been contenders, so I answered.

Saying that, an 8th seed with young players and potential is quite different then an 8th seed with veterans and high salaries but neither are contenders.

3. Sanity2disChaos

NO.........

4. Sanity2disChaos

Now that Wallace and Jackson are available I think morey will consider one of those guys now.A deal involving Wallace/Diop might do us some justice....

Lowry (Brooks)
    Martin
    Wallace
    Scola
    Diop (for defense) (Miller-for scoring)

Then I would send Martin to Philly for Iggy....

New Line-up

Lowry (iBrooks)
    Iggy
    Wallace
    Scola
    Diop

........That would be a defensive, blue collar team that would fight nail and tooth every night......IT IS WRITTEN

5. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

I think that these trades depend on if Morey decides if he is going to keep R. A. or if R.A. decides he is going to stay. If he stays it is likely that Martin & Miller will not be traded(know his system). Only if they can get a legit star would they be traded. If one or both get traded by deadline I would expect a new coach next year.

6. i3artow i3aller

JR Smith anyone? He's a star and could be had for cheap.

7. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

Thats true but every team would play a ZONE and make us shoot over the top (where we would struggle) with that line up a little bit

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

No thanks,he has talent but comes with a lot of baggage.

9. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

10. yahboyryan

yahboyryan Member

can this be done?

NASH/GORTAT for BROOKS HILL BATTIER AND FILLERS ???

11. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

The kind of baggage that this team lacks...aggression, athleticism, attitude, swagger, nuts, passion to win, killer instinct on the court (no pun intended)

He would significantly upgrade this team.

12. ROX_fan_CT

ROX_fan_CT Member

I want to see the Rox try to land 3 of the following and we would be contending talent again.

Thabeet
    Randolph
    JR Smith
    Nene
    Iggy or Wallace

13. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

14. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +5.0 ppg, -2.2 rpg, and -2.1 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Andres Nocioni
    6-7 SF from Argentina (Foreign)
    13.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 17.1 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Shane Battier
    6-8 SF from Duke
    8.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.6 apg in 30.7 minutes
    Philadelphia Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: -5.0 ppg, +2.2 rpg, and +2.1 apg.
    Incoming Players
    Shane Battier
    6-8 SF from Duke
    8.5 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.6 apg in 30.7 minutes
    Outgoing Players
    Andres Nocioni
    6-7 SF from Argentina (Foreign)
    13.5 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.5 apg in 17.1 minutes

- Not a major one but we get younger and find Scola an AMIGO! :grin:

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

It's been awhile since I've wanted to post a "random trade proposal" for consideration, but given Yao's latest injury and the increasing probability that the Rockets will look elsewhere for its center going forward, I thought it was worth a shot to throw out the following proposal.

With Denver now actively looking for the best offers for Melo, it is obvious that the Nuggets will look to rebuild starting during this season. They are currently way above the luxury tax threshold and will look to slash salary wherever possible. One player who may be in limbo between "being a part of the rebuilt Nuggets" and "a guy who makes too much while we're trying to rebuild" is Nene. He's still only 28, and while he's had his share of injuries, he's been fairly injury-free the past few years (77 games in 2008-09; all 82 games last season; 23 of 26 games so far this season).
    With that, what about the following trade:

Houston receives:
    Nene ($11.36M this season; $11.6M player option for next season)
    Renaldo Balkman ($1.675M this season, with two more seasons at the same salary)

Denver receives:
    Jordan Hill ($2.67M this season; $2.86M next season; $3.63M team option in 2012-13)
    Jared Jeffries ($6.88M expiring contract)
    $1.675M trade exception (using remainder of Landry trade exception)

Denver saves approximately $5-6M this season in salary and tax, and up to another $13.3M next season. Plus, they get a nice building block in Hill.

Meanwhile, the Rockets get the starting center they've needed so desperately the past two years. Nene has a rare combination of strength and speed for a center. He always gives the Rockets fits. Balkman is a salary dump, but his contract is not too onerous to hang onto for three years or move elsewhere later.

Thoughts?

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Good deal.

17. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It definitely makes us a better team -- I'm just worried about it hindering our ability to wiggle under the salary cap at a later date. (salary cap unknown as of now; but we'd have to deal with Brooks' raise + Martin/Scola/Nene)

That's roughly $40 million tied into four guys.. yikes.

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I have always liked watching Nene and I guess I would probably do that deal. I am sure that he will pick up the option for next year, but I wonder how much he will want after that?

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The way I look at it is this: If you're keeping Brooks and dumping Yao, with the current roster (which I realize is subject to change), you're looking at having no more than about $8M in cap room this summer. Can you realistically get a player better than Nene with that cap room? I'm not sure about that. And with the new CBA likely lowering the salary cap, and with a new deal for Brooks, the Rockets likely won't have much/any cap room to speak of after this summer for quite some time, anyway.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I feel Denver will look for a Melo replacement instead of breaking their team down. Salary and tax relief plus Hill probably won't be enough.