1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2009-10

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 14, 2009.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

McGrady
    Cook
    Ariza
    Jermaine Taylor
    Joey Dorsey

for

Antawn Jamison
    Caron Butler
    Brendan Haywood
    Randy Foye
    Jevale McGee

Brooks/Lowry/Conroy
    Foye/Budinger
    Butler/Battier
    Haywood/Hayes/Andersen/McGee
    Scola/Landry

2. realmustang

realmustang Member

So, what did you do with Jamison? :confused:

3. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

So that would be the day we became the Houston Wizards ... :rolleyes:

4. jopatmc

Forgot him, didn't I?

Don't particularly like this trade more than Philly deal but it does give Morey a ton of options going forward. Between Butler, Battier, and Landry, you have $20 million of expiring deals next season. Throw in Foye and that is $24 million of expiring deals. Haywood is a short term rental in the middle for this season and we get a young backup for Yao in McGee...or another trade chip, should we be able to re-sign Haywood to a reasonable contract. And next year with Yao recovered, a lot of guys are playing their tails off for a new contract. Lots of options. Lots of options. Jamison's deal is a tough one to swallow. We may be forced to ask Washington to throw in a future first and/or this year's 2nd rounder...since the early 2nd round is where Morey creates tremendous value, getting some guy that can ball and signing him up for 2-3 years at minimal money.

5. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Lets just remember in any McGrady deal you obviously would need to trade Scola and Lowry too for any salary coming back. Otherwise they'd walk at seasons end. The only time you trade Landry and Brooks is if it upgrades a position of the 'two' or 'three' position. There is only a handful of names Rockets are after and they are wing players of having the best chance out of all the 'fours' Bosh/Amare. Martin, Butler, Iggy and imo if you trade for Iggy/Martin then one of those teams will be asking for one of Brooks/Landry and the same will be said with Butler. I'm believed Rockets need one of either Speights/Young in the Iggy deal to compensate any depth moved and salary coming back and imo, they'd be after Speights as they don't need Williams with Llull coming on next season.

6. jopatmc

Agreed. Speights has to be in the deal with IggyDally. If Philly wants to broaden the deal beyond expirings then we can start looking at adding Lowry/Taylor/Dorsey to McGrady/Cook and them sending back Thaddeus.........or possibly us adding Lowry/Ariza/Taylor/Dorsey to McGrady/Cook and Philly sending back Thaddeus and Lou. However, my desired deal is simply Iggy/Dally/Speights for McGrady/Cook, and possibly Lowry if we can get Philly to throw us their 2nd rounder. I would give up Lowry for that package.

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Foye is a point guard.

8. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

That is why i'm believed Rox are after Martin before Butler and my guess is Sac town will ask for Landry and Washington would ask for Brooks to replace Arenas. So they'd be after Martin before Butler and i don't see Martin as bad as many complain about sure he is injury prone, but his contract is no where near the size of McGrady's. This also means taking on Nocioni with Martin as they are probably just as hesitant about that the same way they are with Iggy/Dalembert. It's definately an issue of 'fit'.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Step 1: Acquire Marcin Gortat in a separate trade with Orlando

They want to move him and only kept him because they didn't want to see him walk for nothing. They have no minutes for him and the divorce is obviously depending. I am of the opinion that he's a starter in this league. Morey's prior interest in the guy speaks for itself: he's young, he's huge, he's athletic, he has upside, he can play both frontcourt positions, he blocks shots and he can get his own offense. Why Orlando has been reluctant to feature this guy is beyond me. I guess it doesn't help that Dwight is one of the league's most durable players and that SVG loves overloading the floor with shooters. In any event, $5-7M for a starting center in this league is an absolute STEAL. He could start now, backup Yao when he returns (Yao, even at his best, was only a 34 MPG type of player), he could also get minutes at the four (not a bad perk given our uncertainty with Scola's future) and finally.....Yao insurance. We would be fools to not have a starting caliber backup waiting in the wings given Yao's durability issues.

Another option would be offering to take Brandon Bass's contract off of their hands. Bass is another player that's VERY talented that SVG's system simply doesn't have the need for. SVG would rather have a Channing Frye type player than a Carl Landy type. Sad but true. In any event, Orlando regrets signing him and he's locked in for three more years @ $4M per season -- not bad. Offering to take a Gortat/Bass combo off their their hands would likely lessen Orlando's trade demands in any deal for Gortat -- which really wouldn't be the end of the world as I will explain in Step 2.

Step 2: Use McGrady's expiring contract + Scola or Landry + picks or whatever sweeteners to land us a superstar via trade

From this point on it's really up to Les and Morey as to who they will go after and how much salary they can take on in return. In theory, now that we've upgraded our frontcourt the onus is now on us to address our other major glaring need: that of a scoring wing that can create. Basically, a different version of what McGrady is supposed to bring to the table. McGrady's ginormous expiring contract + Landry or Scola is enough to land us a superstar. Of course, the catch is we're also talking about roughly $26M in salary right there needing to be matched. It can be done but it won't be easy. The point is we would now have the flexibility to add Scola or Landry into trade discussions with the idea of having Gortat and maybe Bass to fall back on in the event that we're forced to part with either.

Scenario #1: McGrady/Scola for Butler/Haywood/Mike James

Butler would obviously be the key piece here. Haywood and Gortat could split minutes at center for the remainder of the season thus giving us a ton of size and presence around the basket that we otherwise don't have with Hayes/Andersen manning the five. Haywood and MJ are expirings -- we could keep or S&T Haywood this summer. If nothing else, we could try the Butler experiment and if it doesn't work out then guess what? We have a valuable $10M expiring contract to play around with at next year's trade deadline. I know that Butler has his flaws and isn't really a SG but I like this trade because it limits the amount of long-term salary that we would be required to take on in any trade of this magnitude.

Scenario #2: McGrady/Scola for Kevin Martin/Kenny Thomas/Hilton Armstrong

Not wild about this idea given that Martin has played like a bag off ass lately, but it's VERY unlikely that we could get a player like him for just McGrady alone without giving up any assets. We'll have to give up an asset and given Scola's age and pending free agency status he might have to be the guy that takes the fall. Thomas and Armstrong are both expirings.

Scenario #3: Push for some sort of McGrady/picks/sweenters type of package for Iguodala/Kapono

This is probably the most likely and plausible trade of them all. Iguodala + Kapono gets any form of a McGrady trade done. The question then just becomes: what else? Iguodala is supposedly very unhappy with his role in Philly's offense as of late, we all know they have nothing to play for this year and it makes sense why Philly wants to move him. Very good player -- he's just paid too much to be part of the engine and not the machine. It works out for us that things are seemingly moving downhill fast there in Philly.

In conclusion, I suggested these three trades because they land us an elite wing all the while reducing the amount of long-term salary that we would be required to take on. I did this to offset Gortat's $5-7 plus possibly Bass' $4M per year that would have to be factored into our long-term cap situation. Finally, regardless of how this season finishes out none of these trades would involve us giving up our first-rounder this year. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

#1149 baller4life315, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  10. bj3175

bj3175 Member

4 Team Trade To get Iggy and Martin?

Would it be a good thing for the Rox to trade T-mac for 2 superior young wing talents like Martin and Iggy. Giving up a draft pick here and another expiring contract(Brian Cook), and trading with 4 other teams could rebalance the deck were no team could refuse--Teams-New York, Houston,Sacremento ,and philadelphia

11. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

12. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Guys, let's try to devise an 8-team trade that gets LeBron James and Kobe Bryant to Houston.

13. ebu

ebu Member

a new thread was not needed to ask this....

14. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

I feel dumb...

Thought it was a rumor, glad it isnt, cause I dont want any part of Martin

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

HAI GAIS I just Farted.

16. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

why stop at 4 teams. lets do 15 teams.

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Boom goes the dynamite

18. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

You're talking nonsense. We want a 30 team trade that gets:

PG: Paul, Williams
    SG: Bryant, Wade
    SF: James, Anthony
    PF: KG, Duncan
    C: Howard, Gasol

Of course, we'll keep Brooks and Landry because they are our future.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I'd rather see if we could keep Brooks and Landry, but would ship out Lowry and/or Scola. Maybe something like McGrady/Cook/Lowry/rights to Llull for Iggy/Dalembert/Speights/Holiday. Llull shows promise, and can be a good trade asset.

Just throwing things out there.

20. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Said it before, will say it again:

Ariza/Lowry/Cook for Iguodala

Why Houston does it: We have other back-up PG's in Conroy and Llull (in 2 years), and Iguodala is a huge upgrade to Ariza. We'd be doing Lowry right by trading him to his hometown team, so he shouldn't mind.

Why Philly does it: They basically reduce Iguodala down to Ariza who is really just a poor-man's Andre Iguodala anyway at less than half the cost. The rest of the contracts expire at the end of the season, so they get a little spending flexibility, too.