1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marc Stein/ESPN] Rockets philosophically opposed to buyouts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets934life, Jan 10, 2010.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

because he will not commit to playing the type of basketball that has allowed the Rockets to win games this year

2. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Spot on. McGrady's main trade value is for his expiring. Buying him out destroys that trade value, so there is zero chance we buy him out before the deadline. If instead we can trade him for something good we win.

After the deadline, the only danger of buying him out is that he could sign with another team and be the key factor that knocks us out of the playoffs ... not happening. So we buy him out for sure. We would not only save money on his deal but also get the cap room at the end of the season. So this is a win too.

3. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

It was mentioned by Bimathug that insurance is not paying for McGrady's salary anymore since he is healthy enough to play now. If McGrady were to be injured today, insurance probably won't pay for his contract either, because it is known that the Rockets are not playing him.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets wont oblige to McGrady

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100111&content_id=7899318&oid=36320&vkey=18

3 people like this.
  5. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

hey, good find hsf!

Doesn't say anything that we haven't already talked about here, but it's interesting to see it from a third party, to confirm our speculations.

That's what I remember about Tmac's sudden decision to get microfracture surgery - that he was avoiding being traded as a primary reason for the surgery to be done at that time.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It is amazing how people fail to understand that it doesn't really matter if we play T-Mac or not. Teams are not interested in trading for T-Mac as a player, but rather T-Mac the expiring contract. T-Mac is worth his weight in tin (no reference to the tinman with no heart, I promise! ;)) and is definitely not the player any team wants to build their teams around or take on as a 6th man for his contract. T-Mac currently is only good for teams to get rid of money in their cap, either for the 2010 sweepstakes or to get under luxury tax.

7. number22

number22 Member

so when tracy is traded and fails the physical then what?

8. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Sigh.

That *** of a *****. Carter could have been a Rocket.

It's not a question of having a precedent. You cannot as an organization allow a player to run roughshod all over you and then finally reward them with a buyout.

How about a new precedent? If you screw with the organization the organization will screw you right back.

9. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Would have been nice wouldn't it? Having a big time scorer in the playoffs alongside Ron and the crew, makes you wonder what could have been. I have no remorse for Tracy though, all he had to do was play ball this year but he had to start playing diva to the media again. It's on him.

10. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Personally, I do not want to have VC on the team too. I am glad that TMac helped me to not allow VC on the team. I really need to be a Tmac fan from last year.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yeah, I know... I was thinking the Rockets should quit being mad at TMac since it seems he saved the team from 2 more years of Vince Carter, which isn't pretty judging by his current state (and VC is only getting older).

On the other hand, having VC during last year's playoffs sure would have been nice.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I disagree. He has value as an expiring contract. But, if he shows ability, the team that traded for him also has an advantage in signing him again next season for a smaller contract. So, while it is unlikely that a team will want to trade for McGrady so that he could be their savior this season, speculating on his abilities next season could add a little sweetener for a trade.

13. number22

number22 Member

Agree. The team that gets him if he's traded most likely will be getting a rental until the end of season.

And in another thread, according to morey there are teams interested in him (hard to believe) and there are teams interested in the money savings.

14. Hball

Hball Member

I still think Morey and Adelman handled this totally wrong by not playing him limited us only to the teams that want to be players in the 2010 saga, which are the teams lacking star players but yet Morey has stated he's looking for a star player in return.

Now that teams know Adelman doesn't want any part of him in the rotation, they will just wait for him to hit waivers, and Morey's plan ends up back firing when he joins a contender putting them over the top, we get nothing in return and end up stuck with ariza for the next 5 years :(

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

In order for a player to be on waivers, a team has to waive said player IIRC.

16. number22

number22 Member

no no they'll workout a sign a trade in the offseason. :cool:

17. Hball

Hball Member

Whose gonna want to trade for him in the summer not knowing what he's capbale of?

If Morey doesn't trade him by the deadline imo he will be bought out, Im sure t-mac will do what it takes because he has no choice it's a contract year.

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

You misunderstood what I am trying to say. Right now T-Mac is not a difference maker or even a good player. He has no elevation, speed, or explosion. Any teams that are interested in trading for T-Mac for this year, are not at all interested in what he can do as a player for this year as he will be at best a half year rental. The only teams right now that are interested in getting T-Mac are bad teams going no where and want in to the 2010 sweepstakes or teams whose owners are suffering financially and need to get rid of some bad contracts. If T-Mac does good, he may get a decent contract for 2011, but that has virtually no bearing for how teams view him THIS year.

19. number22

number22 Member

Who wouldn't want to give up young talent, or a budding, current, or former allstar for tracy? :cool:

20. Hball

Hball Member

Most likey he'll take a 1 year mid-levlel deal with a contender, gives him and whatever team the opportunity to see he has left and go from there.

It's a win win he gets to play for a new contract and for a championship, while the organization gets him for cheap or if it doesn't work out it won't be a risk for the organization since it's a 1 year deal.