1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chinese have advantages over Caucasians

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hardeji, Sep 11, 2002.

1. hardeji

hardeji Member

Ya gotta checkout this site. This guy says that Chinese are quicker and better jumpers than white guys! hahaha. What a racist comment! One of my best buddies is a black guy (an engineer with a six figure income) and he laughs when he reads this kinda stuff. His kids are just as slow and sluggish as mine from sitting around and playing video games all day. IT AIN'T RACE..... IT'S PRACTICE AND ABILITY.

http://www.asia-basket.com/chn/chn.asp

here's the article....

Chinese Basketball Theory - Sep. 8, 2002 - by Arthur Volbert

When Rik Smits (223-C-66, agent: Bartelstein Mark, college: Marist) was a freshman at Marist College, just up the road from me in Poughkeepsie NY, I predicted he would be in the NBA one day. At the time, Rik was less proficient than China's guards and I was among those pursuading Marist to recognize his talent.
    I also gave Rik some good advice about dealing with journalists -- advice he appears to have taken during his 12-year NBA career. At the time, I was also writing about Chinese Basketball Theory, as Rik will confirm.
    Now China has a 7-5 center with even more potential than Rik, and a 7-1 center whom I also project as an NBA star -- exactly what my theory predicted.
    My theory also predicts that China's guards will be even more proficient than their centers but this has not yet happened because of the style of play in China's professional leagues and the junior programs feeding them.
    Chinese have advantages over Caucasians, as a group, in quickness, jumping and body control. They have a disadvantage in the leg-drive needed for staight-ahead sprinting, but sprinting skill has little correlation with the abilities needed for basketball though it does in soccer because of the longer runs necessary.
    All athletic talents can be looked at separately, and are allocated according to distribution curves, so some individuals will be strong in a talent in which their group is weak. But the high-end of the curve, the amount of top performers, will be determined by the average ability of the group and the population size of the group.
    Northern Chinese are a fairly tall people, taller than Southern Chinese, Koreans, Japanese and natives of Taiwan. A former scout for the Dallas Mavericks reported that most Chinese seven-footers came from the north, as I predicted. According to TNT television, China has 100 seven-footers in its basketball program.
    I predict that the Chinese will produce guards and small forwards who can both penetrate and dunk, yet be great at passing and shooting. That type of player is rare, even in America. But first China must allow pressure defense and dunking in its top domestic leagues, or these players' skills are wasted, and the players themselves go unrecognized -- like Hu Guang playing in the second division.
    The Chinese want to do well in the 2008 Olympics for political reasons. I wish to prove Chinese Basketball Theory. So I am giving China advice which will help it attain its goals, coincidentally assisting mine.

http://www.asia-basket.com/chn/chn.asp

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

There is something to what he's saying. Asians do have certain muscle differences that allow them to be better at certain things than caucasians and vice versa.

3. moomoo

moomoo Member

[​IMG]

!!

Umm, where does he work, and where do I sign?

4. hardeji

hardeji Member

Umm, where does he work, and where do I sign?

Moomoo

You become smart and work your ass off like he did.

5. Cipherous

Cipherous Contributing Member

Wow, what an idiot!

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Racism aside, I remember reading a scientific article years ago claiming that the darker your the skin pigment IN GENERAL the more speed you have in terms of athletic capacity.

That kind of stuff was of course politically incorrect and nobody would care. I'm no sport scientist and couldn't judge how credible that was. But if it is true, then caucasian is the slowest race of all.

7. hardeji

hardeji Member

Are we slower even than dwarves? oh yeah, they're not a seperate race, are they?

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think there are genetic differences, sure. Asians have a propensity to having dark coarse hair. As a whole, I don't think they're more athletic than caucasians. I've read that blacks have more fast-twitch muscle fibers than the other races. Not PC, but it may be true.

9. hardeji

hardeji Member

Most of my black buddies are middle-aged and kind of fat, like me.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I haven't read the article yet, but I am an asian guy with some decent hops. I go 5' 8'', and I can grab the rim.

11. hardeji

hardeji Member

Kam,

I'm 44, 6', 220# and can barely touch the net.

When I was young (college wrestler), I could dunk a ball.

What do you think? Other than basic physiological differences (eye shape/color, skin color, height) are the races different (i.e., bone structure and muscleculture)?

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

hardeji, I've also read that blacks have narrower hips. I don't know what that means.

13. hardeji

hardeji Member

You mean as opposed to the child-birthing hips of us white guys?

14. moomoo

moomoo Member

I am an engineer and I do work my ass off (sort of), and I guess the motivation for my post was that I and most other engineers that I know don't even get a sniff of six figures. So I thought maybe you might be so kind as to divulge details of your friend's employment, for those of us that might be jealous errrrrr I mean curious.

15. Panda

Panda Member

From my observation blacks are more explosive than Caucasians and Asians. Asians are more coordinated than other races. I have no idea on Caucasians.

16. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

No, we're faster than dwarves.

We are, however, much slower than elves and halflings.

With gnomes, it's pretty much a toss up.

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I'm just curious what your observations consist of. Have you ever driven on the streets of Houston? Another Brother, can I get a witness from the congregation?

I would actually argue that Asians are the *least* coordinated of any ethnic group -- including gnomes! Of course I have no proof for this, and it is a wild generalization, but hey while we were at it, I thought I'd chime in.

18. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

They seem to be coordinated enough to do well at gymnastics, diving, and ping-pong.

I believe in genetic differences - one example no one can deny is the Kenyan runners. They are born with more slow-twitch muscle fibers. Another example are certain south-east asians, who may be small but are some of the quickest people on earth - witness their dominance at racketball, badminton, etc. As a matter of fact, the first guy to ever dunk at my high school (Canadian Academy in Kobe Japan) was a Filipino.

The basketball potential in Chinese genes remains to be seen.

19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Actually China had the 3rd most medals in the 2000 summer olympics. That's quite poor considering it is far and away the largest country on Earth.

Racquetball is dominated by Americans and Canadians. The top players in the game today are Cliff Swain, Sudsy Monchik, Jack Huczek, and Kane Waselenchuk -- none are Asian.

Actually it has been seen, China got humiliated at the Worlds.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Have you guys ever seen that one game of volelyball with a smaller soccer ball? Man that **** is crazy. They do lil backflips and land on their feets. That is AMAZING for reals. I don't know the name of the game, but if anybody does, post it, and I will find a picture of it to show it. That thing is crazy.