1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CP3 as a 2 year rental

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigSherv, Jul 22, 2010.

?

IS Chris paul worth it for two years if we know he is gone when his contract is up

1. Hell yes

240 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. Pass

133 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

2 Reasons you guys are wasting your time on this Paul pipe dream:

1. New Orleans won't trade a YOUNG STAR PLAYER FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR IN THEIR OWN FREAKING DIVISION!

2. Chris Paul doesn't want to come here, he wants a SUPERFRIENDS PART 2, when the SUPERFRIENDS PART 1 hasn't won a damn thing.

We have our team and its deep and good. Its better than the one that took the LA to seven games, something only Boston has been able to do.

1 person likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Listen up kids, this man knows what he is talking about.

DD

3. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

Has NOs come out and said that they want to trade him? If so, then he is on the trading block. Otherwise, it doesn't matter what CP says. He doesn't have much to push the issue with. He could play like crap, but that has negative effects on him as well. He can tell the media where he wants to go, but all that does is give that team some assurance that he'll resign when the time comes. And why does that matter? Because no team is going to invest in an all star who isn't going to stay there.

The only time you trade for players who aren't going to resign is when you don't want them to, or can live with it. When it's the cap relief you're after, not the player.

I get why he wants out and don't blame him for that. However, the fact that it seems to be more then about being on a contender, he wants to be a superfriend of sorts....that I don't respect. Personally, I think NO will get a new owner and CP will stay on with the promise of improvement to come.

4. Since75

Since75 Member

My question is whether anyone would trade Brooks+Johnson+Harris for Rudy Fernandez and Jerryd Bayless? Bigger Pt guard off the bench and start Lowry who's making starter money. Don't have to pay Brooks the big money he'll want next year. Bayless is only 21 Thoughts!

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

2 reasons why your argument blows.

1. New Orleans would be getting tons of cheap talent and 2 potential lotto picks. They could rebuild right away because of our expiring contracts. We'd also take back Okafor and his salary saving them TONS of money. That's not pennies on the dollar my friend, that's gold.

2. He may want superfriends part deux but it's not his choice. He's under contract for 2 years. He's not a free agent. If he comes and we go to the WCF or even the finals and lose why wouldn't he want to resign here.

3. STOP LIVING IN THE ****ING PAST. THAT LAKER SERIES WAS 2 YEARS AGO WITH A LESS TALENTED LAKER TEAM THAT WHEN THEY DICIDED TO TURN IT ON BLEW US OUT EVERY GAME THEY WON.

1 person likes this.
  6. DaDakota

Two reasons.......ROFLMAO !!!!

Nimrod part deaux !

DD

7. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I love AB0 BUT he is no CP.

As long as Paul is willing to change his # from 3 as it is cursed in Houston, I'd be okay with it.

It would be so awesome if somehow we could do:
    Ariza+Hill+Jeffries+1 Knicks 1st for Iguodala+Smith

AND

Brooks+Patterson+Battier+Andersen+1 Knicks 1st for CP3+fillers

OMG!

Yao/Miller
    Scola/Smith
    Iguodala/Budinger
    Martin/Taylor
    Paul/Lowry

BAM!

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Come on DD, if they could get Okafor as well, you would have to jump all over it. Plus we have the assets and picks to make it happen.

9. milkoholic17

milkoholic17 Member

This is from Bill Simmons twitter:
    "CP3 waited too long: had he gone public last month, NYK-NJ-Dal had the cap room/assets to deal. The most realistic matches now: Hou or Bos."

10. DaDakota

I was making fun of him saying 2 reasons, and then listing 3......

DD

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because the the person I was quoting listed 2 reason and gave 3.

Come on DD.

12. DaDakota

Damnit....SELF PWNAGE !!!

DD

13. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

Are you referring to his 5 year career? Yao Ming was injury free for 3 seasons and look at him now.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Par for the course DD, par for the course.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Chris Paul isn't 7'6" and 300+ pounds. Unless that injury he had last season was deemed career threatening, I don't see why/how Paul can't bounce back from it next season.

16. DaDakota

I ain't scared, I can always count on you though, Justtxyank, you are right there always on my tail.....hey, are you Greek by any chance?

DD

17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Was wondering how you planned on fitting Okafor's deal into the Rockets---never mind his playing time---but a Paul + Okafor for Jeffries + Battier + Brooks + Andersen + Johnson + Harris + Taylor works. All 1-yr deals for N.O., except Andersen's 2/5 and Taylor's 2/~2, and they can waive Harris and Johnson as soon as they get them. New Orleans cuts roughly $5.2 off their payroll and can rebuild with Brooks playing at the "Zero", the gobs of first rounders the Rockets would send, and whoever else they feel like keeping next year. See if you could get some picks/expirings for David West. Of course, that would nuke the team, but if you're moving anyways...

(Oddly, you can omit Taylor if the deal is a 3-team deal with Philly, where Philly sends Iggy for Ariza + Hayes + Hill. Since Philly isn't going to trade Iggy by himself, it's kinda moot, but food for thought.)

Still think that Charlotte has an outside chance at Paul, (for reasons ROXTXIA and I discuss in this thread) but I agree with all of you that it's likely Paul wants to do the super-team thing in NY with Carmelo. Good luck making it happen, as DD has noted: they don't have to trade Paul anywhere. Academic anyway, as I doubt he's coming here.

The Paul durability issue isn't crucial for me, as you already are on borrowed time with Yao. So having Paul only last two-three years, but giving you great shots at Western Conference titles/rings while he's here, isn't a dealbreaker for me. How long do you think Yao has with the Rockets, even at 25 minutes a night? Three years? Four? And when Yao goes down, you are already in rebuilding mode, so why not take on a guy with a condition that will only start to hamper him 4 years or so from now? (Slightly off-topic, but does anyone else find it insane that the Rockets are spending $17.5M for only 24-25 minutes a night, and everybody seems to be fine with that? I mean, I'm not asking for Wilt's season where he averaged 48 min a game, but I'd think that $17.5 should get you a little more than a player who shows up for only half the game.)

I think Since75's idea is interesting, but I want more for AB than Fernandez and Bayless. Make it Batum and Bayless and I'd have to really think about it vs. using AB's high stock to facilitate another trade for a star.

18. dantonv08

dantonv08 Member

If we could get Chris Paul and have a healthy Yao it's very likely we would go far in the playoffs and he would likely want to resign if we do. But, if Yao gets injured again we might as well start over and trade or sign in trade Chris Paul for some good assets(picks, young players, TE, etc.)

19. AKRocketsFan

AKRocketsFan Member

Hell no don't want no player that doesn't intens on staying. All that equal is half ass effort. Plus I hate these whiny stars you don't want them there poisoin. Like Kevin Durant said " can we get back to being competitive". Those are the kinds of stars you want. Not ones that whine to play with their friends are where they want why still under contract.
    Honor your contract then go team up with one of your little buddies and do nothing.
    What has the league come too. What is a business league or a frat league. This kind of crap is watering the NBA down. What is the NBA without matchups it was last good thing going for it.
    At no more time am I glad to be a Rockets Fan. Loyal players that want work hard and build there own legacy here. The Rockets is a great Franchise so F anyone that thinks otherwise and if you don't want to play here you're crazy.

Back to Back Championships And some the greatest players ever to play in this league have made names for themselves here. We've been great before and will be again. Without bums like Paul. Does he really take us over the top. Hell NO :mad:

The NBA is messing up big time hopefully this will be Sterns downfall. As he just sits to side and lets his so called superstars make a mockery of the league. After the NBA goes on strike and Football get there deal done and gets the 18 game season. The NBA is really gonna be hurting. They think there going overseas with the league.
    Newsflash not with whiny punk supposed superstars for face of the league.

I'm 29 and I've been watching the Rockets all my life.IT seems to me the NBA has just gotten worse and worse team and talent wise over the years. I really feel they had a better product when I was in grade school and high school. The early 2000's was straight garbage .

Thank God for the Rockets a respectful team you can feel proud to cheer for.

I don't want any Franchise Player that doesn't want a Franchise but want Franchise Money.

20. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Id rather keep Brooks and other pieces and not have to deal with Paul being a distraction wanting to be traded to NY to play with Amare and Carmelo.

I just think SF is the only position to upgrade to make the team 'truly better' as Morey is looking to do.