1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Games] Valkyria Chronicles is the best game I've played in years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Jan 22, 2009.

1. dback816

dback816 Member

I thought about it a little less as the Chapters went on, but yea at times when the camera angle is just right, I'm suddenly are reminded just how awesome the game looks

I also really dig the Militia uniforms :eek:

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Just borrowed it from my bro (next room). Started on the first level and this game is awesome. I remember reading about this on NeoGaf awhile back and fell in love with the graphics. The graphics on this game is phenomenal. I love the cell-shaded? anime look. Initially I thought this was going to be a action game. When I found out it was a SRPG, I was turned off.

I played the demo awhile back and thought it was nice, but didn't put in much thought. Thanks to your three page thread, it piqued my interest and I decided to give it a shot. Good thing I did, now I'm going to spend my free time trying to complete this game now that I've finished Suikoden 1 + 2. This will fill in nicely until Killzone 2/SF4 is released.

Did anyone try the FEAR2 demo? I thought that game was pretty good for a overcrowded genre full of mediocre titles.

#42 chow_yun_fat, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I actually just played part of the FEAR2 demo last night. I think it's a cut above some other FPS titles, but at this point my standards are extremely high when it comes to FPS's. I especially look for a very precise feel to the controls. Gears 2, RSV2, and GRAW2 are my gold standard, and FEAR2 is just outside that standard, IMO. Maybe when there's a huge price drop a year after it's released I might consider it, though.

4. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

5. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Quick question for those of you using scouts the most, are you guys trying to kill every enemy or just heading straight for camps? I always went to kill everyone.

6. dback816

dback816 Member

Heading for the objectives usually, nothing's really stopping you from killing alot people on the way however given how overpowered Scouts are. Killing EVERYONE takes way too long in later missions. Also certain missions will constantly request reinforcement until camps are capped or just have flatout magical re-pops

7. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm going to bump one of the old FF13 threads with this info so that maybe more people will see this. Keeps the topics separate.

8. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Thanks. Rookies don't have much options.

9. Drexlerfan22

Sooo... first of all, that's pretty much the sexiest website I've ever seen.

Secondly, pretty happy that they seemed to have toned down the androgynous-ness of the characters a bit. And I'll be very happy if it's gone back to pure turn-based, as opposed to an FF12-esque system. It seems like it has, but it's hard to be 100% sure from that trailer.

Seconded. Though Scouts have so much AP that if you equip Alicia with one of the higher-powered but lower-range enemy weapons you pick up along the way, you can get a lot of kills that way, too.

This game would be infinitely harder without scouts. I almost feel like I should try a few battles with no scouts at all, just to see how it goes...

10. Drexlerfan22

11. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

If you like the game you might want to check out the anime that's comming this spring.

[​IMG]

12. Drexlerfan22

I did hear about that. Didn't realize they'd try so hard to mimic the art style, that's pretty cool... though I do wish they'd gone with the more heavy-handed filter, like they did in the game.

Alicia looks kinda ugly in that screen, though.

13. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I've been playing for a little over the past month, and think I'm on the last legs. Beat all the missions and hard skirmishes. I believe points are based on speed with bonuses for kills only if you touch the dead body (that sounds weird).

When your scouts are maxed out and its a capture mission, strategy is entirely based around clearing the path for the scouts and then blitzing to capture their base. The AI could be a lot smarter.

Its a great looking game in all aspects, I'm glad DLC packs are coming out because I was considering selling my copy but it now has some more replay value. Then again, street fighter IV beckons....

14. Drexlerfan22

Actually, why even clear a path when you can just stack Caution, Defense Boost, and Unlock Potential on top of Alicia, and then let Mysterious Body, Valkyria, Resist Crossfire, and Double Movement trigger on top of that? Alicia is pretty much the reason most missions are *easily* beatable in 1 turn. Which is why I'm definitely hoping that the extra hard mode will actually be, you know... hard.

15. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I can't start threads and didn't see one, but I just want to warn anyone since this is an RPG thread who might be thinking about picking up Star Ocean 4...don't do it unless your gag reflex is non-existent or you don't mind skipping EVERY cutscene due to overwhelming lameness/stereotypes. The game is fun in itself though.

16. dback816

dback816 Member

I'm glad they're sticking with the plan despite the sales, I can't wait to play the Selvaria DLC

The anime looks...bad. Alicia got some implants, the animation quality seems subpar and everyone looks a lot younger....I'll probably keep a tap on it anyway

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Just a heads up, Gamestop is selling this game for $30 as a Gamerdays sale, which I think runs out this Thursday. So if you own a PS3 and want to pick up this game, the next 4 days is a good time to do it. Though usually gamer days sale precedes price drop so we might see it being $30 bucks everywhere pretty soon.

1 person likes this.
  18. Drexlerfan22

Anything else they're peddling that's actually good?

Far Cry 2, maybe?

EDIT: Nevermind. Didn't realized they actually *gasp* listed their on-sale games on their site.

Valkyria Chronicles for $30 is definitely the best deal in the store.

However... their box sets of PS2 games are really great too:
    Devil May Cry 1, 2, & 3 for $20 total. :eek:
    Similar Mortal Kombat set of 3 games for $20.
    ...and the Metal Gear Solid Essentials Collection for $30... I don't think that's actually a price drop, but it's still a good deal.

#58 Drexlerfan22, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  19. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219355
    Full list from that post:
    Also a FAQ and coupon at the link.

Didn't see FC2.

edit: In case you can't view the CAG thread, here's a NeoGAF version:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356796

20. dback816

dback816 Member