1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Garnett get Saunders fired?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Downtown Sniper, Oct 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Sorry guys for the lowsy post.

Having a massive arguement with a guy at work.

He's hating on T-Mac telling me how good Garnett is (a celtic fan)

and i'm trying to prove that the guy is an a$$.

I think i vaguely remember reading on ESPN or somewhere that he wouldn't play or something if the coach didn't let a player or 2 (garnett's friends) start - or get good minutes.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated guys.

Thanks.

2. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Garnett is weak. And he's not a leader. He's so fake too. "ANYTHING CAN HAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEENNNNNNN!!!!!!!!". Come on. Paul Pierce was the guy on the Celts team, not Garnett. Garnett is a great number 2 option (as is TMac).

3. DPballer

DPballer Member

Just point and laugh at him since the Red Sox lost.

4. adoo

adoo Member

neither of them can hold Kobe's jock strap

5. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

Thats because they dont want to be charged with tampering evidence

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

By his 2 friends, do you mean Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell? That didn't have much to do with Flip Saunders because it was the T-Wolves owner that decided not to give them lucrative extensions. Both guys (supposedly) felt that they were responsible for the T-Wolves finally getting out of the 1st round and wanted to be rewarded for it. This led to Sprewell's famous, "feed my family" remark when he was offered ONLY $21 million over 3 years and turned it down.

As a result of not getting what he wanted, Sprewell dogged it big time the following season and their team chemistry was destroyed. They were totally dysfunctional, McHale fired Flip during the season and took his place as head coach.

It is generally believed the contract situations killed the T-Wolves more than anything else. When Sprewell deliberately tanked it, Cassell and Garnett (allegedly) supported his position.

I don't know if you can pin Flip's firing on KG.

7. Downtown Sniper

No it wasn't those 2 i was refering to.
    For some reason i'm thinking Troy Hudson?

Obviously i'm wrong - damn it.

Now i've got nothing except laughing at Garnett's girl like display.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep yep, and he did get Saunders fired.

DD

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This is true if you only look at one side of the ball. KG's versatility on defense unmatched, that's what makes him special. Now, if you just want to go buy offense, then yes Paul Pierce is clearly "the guy".

10. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

yes downtown sniper you are correct. i posted something about this when commenting on the other thread about bill walker and how the celtics have composed a team full of thugs. Again, I don't have the article which some person posted on clutchfans a year ago. The two players were Trenton Hassel and Troy Hudson, both of whom were good friends of KG. You may wonder how Hudson who was buried on the bench for like 3 years still remained on the TWolves roster for all these years, well pretty much KG demanded that Hudson stayed or he'd go. Flip was in favor of benching Hassel and Hudson for younger talent but KG was pretty adamant against that.

I might be wrong about this, getting some of the intricacies of the story wrong, but I do remember this article being posted about a year ago. Maybe you have some luck finding it on google, even though I did not.

11. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

oh ok I did a good search and it's funny that the article is no longer in existence. Hmmm...well Glen Taylor the owner was quoted in an interview conducted last year about how KG tanked the season to get Flip fired to save Hudson's and Hassel's skins.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Think you mean "Anything is possible"

Not that it matter a damn, just sayin'.

13. Downtown Sniper

Thank you.
    That's where i remember it from.

Will go google on that article's a$$ tonight when i get home.

Thanks rox4lyf.

14. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

OK Downtown Sniper, I got the two stories mixed up and combined both of them. Sorry.

HERE IS THE ACTUAL RUNDOWN:
    there were two incidents Glen Taylor reported.
    1) KG tanked the season http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3300421

2) KG protected Hassel and Hudson http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-28-232/Glen-Taylor-on-his-Disfunctional-Wolves.html

Two different stories. And I don't think any of this had to do with Flip Saunders. I think KG really loved Flip.

SORRY FOR MISLEADING YOU. NOW YOU CAN DEBATE WITH YOUR FRIEND OR COWORKER WITH ADEQUATE FACTS! PROCEED.

15. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

No he didn't. McHale's personnel moves got Saunders fired. KG and Flip had a good working relationship

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What do these have to do with Flip Saunders?

17. yobod

yobod Member

KG had nothing to do with Flip getting fired. In fact, they got along incredibly well. McHale's dumbass front office moves is what eventually led to Saunders losing his job. Ironically, it was McHale who took over for him as head coach. KG is an ass however, for other things.....like screaming a rehearsed line that was painfully forced after winning the championship, or staying in 20+ pt blowouts and playing with the scrubs just to show how "dedicated" you are, or handcuffing your former team by insisting that your friends get playing time even though there was younger talent on the team that needed to be developed. I'm sure there's more, but I think that should suffice in your argument for now.

18. LoneStarDawg

LoneStarDawg Member

19. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

it doesn't. me and downtown sniper have a side conversation unrelated to the topic statement if you really want to get technical. i misled him and i wanted to correct it. read the whole thread before you start trolling.

20. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

If the guy in your office wasn't a Celtics fan in 2006, when they sucked a$$, then he's nothing but a band-wagoner and clearly a douche.

If, however, he suffered through all the hard times - well, he deserves to enjoy his team being top dogs.

Just like we'll enjoy it when the Rox win the 'ship.