1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Garnett and Rick Rickert Fight???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dirtyfithynasty, Aug 31, 2004.

1. dirtyfithynasty

Have you guys heard this?

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/columnists/9540263.htm

Pssst: At an informal workout the other day at Target Center, after Timberwolves rookie Rick Rickert made a nifty move to slip past his boyhood idol, Kevin Garnett of the Wolves, to score a basket, Garnett responded, without warning, by punching Rickert in the jaw.

A cut required seven stitches to close, and Rickert also suffered a chipped tooth. The astonished 6-10 Rickert didn't retaliate against the 7-foot NBA most valuable player, who also had unkind words for the former Gophers player. Apparently, the rookie wasn't supposed to score on the MVP. Rickert received his stitches at University of Minnesota Hospital.

Because the incident involved the Wolves' franchise player, the incident seemingly will make it even more difficult for Rickert to make the Wolves' final roster.

2. foodworld

foodworld Member

What an *******. I hope they sign him to teach him a lesson...

3. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

More reason for me to hate Garnett.

Yes, I'm still bitter how he acted against the Nugs. Let me be.

4. Charvo

Charvo Member

KG must think he was Jordan punching Kerr. Who punches people without provocation? I can't imagine Tim Duncan ever decking a guy unless there was some serious issues on the court that entailed him defending himself. Rocket players can sleep at ease knowing Yao's not going to go gangster on someone.

5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

there must have been something else that led up to it. while you never really know what kind of person kg really is, i just cant imagine him being that much of an a-hole. i also cant imagine him being as big a chump as to just sucker punch a guy.

maybe the rookie was jawing at kg and than did some chest thumping when he scored on him. there has to be more to it than just "he scored on kg and kg punched him".

kg is my favorite non-rocket, but i still loose a little respect for him even if the rookie was taunting him. as the mvp and team leader he should know better.

6. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Proof? Link? Sources?

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I've added the link to this story. Please include a link to all articles posted on the site. Thanks.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This actually surprises me A LOT! KG doesnt seem like that type of person on and off the court from the things I have read about him in the past.

Makes you wonder if there is MORE to the story than just that article.

9. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

regardless, if he was jawing its in the spirit of the game. They are just trying to get in the opponents head. KG's fault for not keeping them in check.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Can we sign Rickert?

DD

11. bigsm00th

bigsm00th Member

Maybe this is why Stephon Marbury demanded out of the Twin Cities, he didn't want to get iced in the face by that bonehead!

Man, the more and more I watch of Garnett, the more and more I'm convinced Duncan is 5x the player AND the person. I guess all those $100 million contracts are getting to this prima donnas head, what a jerk!

12. Just B

Just B Member

I remember I read in Beckett Basketball Monthly (back in '01) that KG has a serious attitude problem. The article was about players that you shouldn't approach for autographs and KG was #3 on the list.

They said that when they tried to get his autograph he snatched the pen and intentionally smeared the ink with his hand while he was writing... I'm really not that shocked that he would haul off and punch a rookie.

13. SlizardOO

SlizardOO Member

does anyone have the footage of when KG slammed it home and start screaming in Steve Francis' face?

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The man's intense on the basketball court, but punching a teammate? In practice? That's crazy.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What the reputation of this newspaper? I'm disinclined to believe it.

16. pacertom

pacertom Member

there has to be more to the story.

Rickart must have pulled some dirty play earlier.

17. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

Does anyone got footage of Anthony Peeler elbowing KG in the jaw and KG was too scared to do anything? It's funny because after everything had been broken up you can see KG holding his jaw in the background.

18. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I'm biased because KG is my favorite basketball player, but I gotta believe there was *something* leading up to that. Maybe Rickert jabbed KG for his Olympic snub or he elbowed his junk the previous play. Something.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know how much background checking Jim Rome does before he runs with a story. But he opened with this today.

20. DaneB

DaneB Member

Here's a post draft quote from Rickert...

"I grew up in Minnesota, so I've watched Kevin Garnett all the time. He's just a great player. He can shoot it, he can take it to the basket. He's just a great, fundamental, athletic player."

Can you imagine having a tryout and playing against Kevin Garnett and then he belts you in the face? I would feel so humilated and pissed off that I would want to get even with this ass.