1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Barkley

Barkley Member

I didn't see that game but looks like Scola played really good. I know FIBA that's different thing than NBA but...I wanna see Scola playin' great game against USA Team:)

2. Coca Cola Scola

It looks like Scola can score easily on NBA guys right now. He looks pretty polished offensively.....most rookies need time to adjust defensively and to picking up fouls which is where I think Scola might need time.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I was going to say the same thing about pace. The schedule that they have for these ten days is pretty grueling, especially since it seems they only have two key players so pacing would be important.

I didn't think that he really looked like he was standing around too much anyway.

4. conquistador#11

don't be surprise if they lose a game or two on purpose to avoid the EEUU in the semifinals. :p

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2007/08/23/deportes/d-06201.htm

By Carlos prieto
    Partners

They are the only ones left in the planet that participated in the two previous pre-olympic games. From falling short in 1999 and missing out on sydney, to cliching a spot in 2003 that would later blossom into the golden era. Together, they have witnessed in flesh and blood the ups and downs of Argentine Basquetbol.

A couple of hours before the debut, Clarin asked Luis Scola and Leonardo Rodriguez, who did not play due to an injury, to share their views on the tournament.

Luis Scola: It is difficult to compare this tournament to prior ones. In 1999, I was 19 years old and had very little experience.
    At the same time, back then, only two spots were available too. And due to the fact that many players had said no to the invite, It was a given that one of those two spots belonged to the E.E.UU. But in every tournament, the story is different.

Clarin: Does the fact that there is a requalifying match relieve alot of pressure?

Scola: We only have one objective and that is to qualify to Beijing. We are aware that to accomplish such task, we must reach the semi-finals. If we make it there, the fate of the requalifying match will be determined before the game is even played.

Clarin: How much of an importance is it to finish in the top 3 to avoid playing EEUU in the semifinals?

Scola : In the new era of basquetbol, there is no such thing as an invincible team. But if there would be one, the EEUU comes very close to that. If they sweep their games and we finish second or third, then that would be beneficial to us.
    But things can complicate themselves: In athens, Spain swept the first phase of the tournament, in return they had to face the United States in the quarter finals

Clarin: How much will opponents fear team Argentina, knowing that you guys are the reigning champions of the Olympics?

Scola: To me, the past is just that, the past. No one cares what you accomplished three years ago; It's all about what you have done lately.

Clarin: After being together for the past month, how confident is this team?

Scola: There is great confidence in this team, and we will accomplish our objective. And personally, I've always had confidence:

I thought Scola was going to break out with a "if we don't make it past the second phase, It's on me" :D

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Been happily retired for 18 months now...but if I can get the financing secured, I will be back at work......

:D

DD

6. Mikeylu

Mikeylu Contributing Member

Can someone please post the argentina vs puerto rico link when they can :D

Whenever i try to click on nba.com vids it freezes my internet up

7. Mikeylu

8. Mikeylu

wow..r****ded refs just took off 2 points from arg...cuz there are monkeys running the scoreboard.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Maybe we need to compare retirements? ;)

10. richter911

richter911 Member

Scola at halftime:13 points( 4-9 FG,5-6 FT),9 rebounds.Not bad.

11. Mikeylu

he woulda had 15 points..but for some reason they erased 2 of his made freethrows at the end of the 1st half

12. richter911

richter911 Member

Yeah,I wonder why, what happened?

13. Mikeylu

in summary..stupid refs...They claim luis scola was NOT supposed to shoot those FTs...they found out too late and took it away..with no make up..Why the hell would they let him shoot the FTs in the first place...idiots

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Dream Team or not, Argentina will be serious trouble for us next year in Beijing. This team is missing Oberto, Ginobilli, Nocioni & Herrmann and Delfino looks awful out there today.

How much you wanna bet Puerto Rico starts getting chipping and commits dirty fouls in the 4th quarter as they fall further behind?

15. scola

scola Member

Scola is not in a good day with the basket, but is fighting his way. Nice defensive efforts against Peter Ramos.

Still he manages to be the scorer of Argentina with 18 points.

The 4th quarter just started.

16. scola

scola Member

Delfino is having a terrible tournament... he is supposed to be our biggest threat from the perimeter. He is playing without any confidence.

Peter Ramos fouled out.

17. scola

scola Member

Argentina won 87 - 75.

Scola main scorer of the game with 22 points. Also got 11 rebs.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Scola looked OK out there. In the 1st half, he took over when Argentina was laboring and Puerto Rico had a chance to blow the game open. For how he fits on the Rockets,

On offense he will do just fine. He will definitely punish defenses that double-team our stars and leave him open. He's a very unselfish player and a slick passer. He runs the floor VERY well, which is important with Yao at center. He moves well without the ball. He has decent moves around the basket and will be able to create his own shot on occasion. Didn't see too much of his jumper. On offense, I really like what I saw today.

On defense, I don't know. I think he will be a foul machine. It's gonna take a lot of work to get him up to snuff. A lot of stuff they get away with in FIBA gets called in the NBA. At age 27, the de-programming could take a while.

Bottom line: Scola is better than Chuck. Hopefully by the end of the season, he will be a BIG upgrade over Chuck. His defense will be the key.

19. Mikeylu

Agreed..but i dono if i would start scola from day one..maybe if he blows up in the preseason..but i still think chuck should be the starter in the start.and they should split the minutes 50/50 ..

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I enjoy the Argentianians' hairstyles... from Logrippo's balding mullet to the 70s p*rn star mustache of that one skinny guy on the bench, it's endlessly entertaining.