1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV NewsAsia] Yao accused of ducking obligations to national team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Willis25, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I'm in Singapore for the week for work meetings [I know....life's hard :p]

Anyway, just saw on the asian news channel crawl that Yao said he "was being treated unfairly after a local (I assume Chinese) paper that accussed him of ducking his obligations to the national team." :confused:

Wanted to know if our posters from this hemisphere might have any more information about this.

There is some Vietnamese soccer player getting married the same day as some quarter final (so it might be an hot button issue in this region)

Given the brief mention, it's hard to tell if it's big news. Unfortunately, I'm used to American news, where a war gets 2 minutes, an election gets 2 minutes, and Parris Hilton gets the other 56...so I have no perspective on relevance ;)

#1 Willis25, Jul 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  2. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

How can they even print something like that? That man was seriously injured last year. He needs to relax, rehab and not reinjure his body. He is a 7'6 big guy, you can expect him to play the whole year.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

screw the national team. the real team is here.
    steve
    tmac
    shane
    scola
    brooks
    james

ricky a

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the national team should release him. he's clearly a problem player.

5. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

he's too proud of his country to do it, but I wish he would just pack his bags for good and never go back after the Olympics are over.

6. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

You must have been working too hard in Singapore and not able to being updated.

This had been posted and widely discussed in this forum in the past few days.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=132356

And Yao Ming had also stepped up bravely to defend himself.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=132460

And in China almost 90% of basketball fans had voiced out ther anger and asked that editor of All-China Sports Federation funded newspaper to STFU and leaves Yao Ming alone.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yeah, no biggie. Just some random idiot ranting on a newspaper. I never thought it was big enough a deal for Yao to actually come out to defend himself. In fact, it's amazing we haven't seen hundreds of this type of stupid rant already. Lord knows we see tons of stupid articles/sports shows unfairly bash Yao in America.

8. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

yao IS china. w/o yao, china wouldn't have any credibility in the game of basketball nor any respect.

yao has improved despite all obstacles and doubts against him in this country alone.

it's unbelievable how yao is treated. but if i know how yao is by the way he plays, he just gonna lay it all out for his country when he puts on a chinese uniform. and he is just gonna lay it out for the rockets when he puts on our uniform.

9. JD317²

JD317² Member

why are they trippin so much?
    damn.
    Maybe Yao wants to be alone or something.

you dont see us crying because a player can't make it to team usa

10. JD317²

JD317² Member

well yao wants to play..
    but i meant to say.. we don't really care if they want a break or something

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Umm, unless I'm incredibly mistaken or just not reading the right media outlets, Yao gets treated incredibly well in China.

12. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Gilbert Arenas cried like a baby.. but he's not a fan. Besides we have more talent in form this country that if a couple players skips, we should have plenty more to choose from. No so much for China. Who do they have besides Yao, Yi? Hah, he's a bust in the making.

But yeah I do agree they're tripping. They're just shooting themselves in the foot for the future if they keep on pushing and pushing Yao.

13. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

yao is turning american, before you know it he'll be wearing gold chains and he'll get caught strokin it in his escalade to p*rn.

14. JD317²

JD317² Member

i'm waiting for YAO BURGER to open. lol

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

They want someone to take some of the heat off of all the news about Yi. Ironically, without Yao, Yi's NBA career wouldn't even exist

16. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

yeah...I've been "working hard"

that's the ticket !!!

:p

I didn't see it here so I figured I would post it in case it was something that hit the US this morning (or this evening for me)

sorry for the repost

17. rocBJ

rocBJ Member

Here is the thing, in china, the goverment(actually, the national sports bureau) pays nearly everything for an athlete since the start of their sport career life -- coach, gym, dorm, all the equipment... even including food, some living expenses, so the goverment take for granted that an athlete should play for the national team when "the country needs him"
    this situation is changing now, but do not expect too much too soon..... :eek: :eek:

also, Yao is now famous and rich, someone gets jealous and takes every possible chance to speak ill of Yao

Yao is smart and did the right thing. He should balance his health condition and the "obligations".

olympics he can not miss; other national games... be brave to say no!

18. Baller68112

Baller68112 Member

I would duck my obligations too if I had to play a grueling NBA season and then go straight across the hemisphere to do basically the same thing during his off-time only to finish and head straight back to the NBA for a second consecutive grueling NBA season. I think he'll get worked even harder in China. The big guy needs a break.

19. htownzplaya03

htownzplaya03 Member

man screw tha national team he should be at home resting

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good to see u back on the board again willis!
    the old schoolers > newbies