1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG has had a negative effect on V-span

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thewaterox, Dec 3, 2006.

1. mbiker

mbiker Member

In pre-season VSpan was a turnover machine. He was creating turnovers while playing against the other teams scrubs. The NBA has bigger and faster athletes than the Euro leagues. You cannot make the same type of passes in the NBA. VSpan will need to tone his game down for quite awhile until he can play virtually mistake free basketball. Once he gets more accustomed to the NBA then he can turn it on again. Also, if he seems hesitant while shooting the ball its because he does not have a great outside shot yet. It’s mediocre at best.

As far as his defensive ability, he’s prone to gamble too much. He seems to leave his man a lot. JVG may have to also reign him in on defense from time to time.

He is one of my favorite players NBA, but he is a work in progress.

2. Pulp

Pulp Member

I feel like a no life loser replying to this

but anyways
    like many have pointed out
    JVG is the cause of global warming and he drinks blood regularly

3. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

VSpan will be ok

he did play like a robot the past few games

evidently he is scared

JVG wants his blood

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I predicted this notion would come up. At least 95% of the replies blast the idea, which is good. V-Span is so much better now than he was in the preseason it's beyond debate and he will continue to improve during the season, just maybe not fast enough for some.

5. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Vspan hasn't taken the NBA by storm, so something must be wrong. :p

6. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

this is not greece

7. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Yao is the negative one, he's always cursing in multiple languages. There is even a thread about it. JVG is the sunshine man compared to Yao. :D

Everytime he takes a shot, he looks back at Yao like a bad puppy. Then, Yao screams back "GIVE ME THE F***ING BALL!"

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=121206

#27 Mordo, Dec 3, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  8. terse

terse Member

As long as VSpan continues getting consistent minutes, I'm not worried. Of course, a better head coach would also help. :D

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

What is sad, is that this is the best thread going right now.

I think it's good that VSpan is playing with discipline. This is just a stage that he's going through in his development as a player. My Stages:

1) Fearless and Stupid
    2) Scared and Tentative
    3) Playing Smarter
    4) Loosening up
    5) Tightening Down the loose ends
    6) Fire and Confidence

-->Peak

Yao went through those stages. He's a center. Centers take a while to develop. Hopefully, VSpan will be a solid player for the playoffs. Playing loose in tight games helps you win sometimes. Think Sam Cassell's first year.

In conclusion, VSpan playing like he is right now is a good thing. Patience helps. Give Vassilis time and enjoy the development. That's the fun part of being an everyday fan.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Anyone who starts a thread rated a 1 or a 2 should have to donate $5 to the tip jar per occurence. Probably wouldn't work cause some people aren't fair on the ratings..but still, I can wish.

11. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

greatest thread ever...

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You never saw the Jorts thread then.

13. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Its also JVG's fault that your thread sucks! :cool:

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's part of learning JVG's system. Remember how confused Stromile Swift looked out there? It takes time for young guys.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

V-SPan will be fine.....JVG is not causing him to do anything.....and his turnovers are WAY down...

DD

16. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

You can play bad and still have confidence. Look at mike james in minny.

17. terse

terse Member

Well said. With a wise coach, I would have no worries for VSpan. Unfortunately, JVG can be a fool sometimes. (An intelligent fool can be the greatest fool of all -- look at Donald Rumsfeld.)

Will VSpan consistently get minutes, however small, in every game? This is what he needs. It's also what the team needs, five months down the line, because VSpan's talents perfectly cover our deficiencies. Or will JVG seize the kid's tentative play as an excuse to bench him for the rest of the season?

Given JVG's history, I think the latter is more likely, and that is why I worry -- for VSpan, and for the team.

18. elenp

elenp Member

I'm from Greece and I'm fan of Panathinaikos too and I can say that Bill has a lot of confidence.

19. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just guessing...but that might have to do with him being Greek, playing in the Greek system all his life, under international rules, and against other Greeks and Europeans. This is a step up and a very different game/culture/schedule.

20. highfly

highfly Member

Good thing is Vassilis gets some PT, it shows JVG has more trust in him. I think JVG likes his attitude and realizes he's a better player than he thought... Now he can start building on it--I am sure his numbers will get better. He's a work in progress like others said.