1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MY OPINION: Luther must be doing well...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrockStapper, Jul 13, 2006.

1. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

This is based purely on my observations:

Head must be doing really well to have avoided the summer league games. There was a thread a while back dealing with some kind of charity game (or something) in which Head did well.

Is it the norm for players to skip summer league games in their second year?

of course, he could just be trade bait. If he does keep progressing I still have faith that he could start at the 2 if we don't get someone else. If we were serious about playing James at the 2 then Luther is an inch taller. If he can get more consistent, improve both his man defense and team defense as well as working on driving to the hoop I think he could be alright.

Even last year he really wasn't that much of a liability... alright, not as much as some of the other people we had pretending to be NBA players (ie, Bowen, Bogans, etc... etc... etc...)

Seems like lately he is an afterthought around here and I thought I would remind you guys he is still on the team.

*looks around and hopes the post is long enough to pretend like it warrants its own thread*

2. Fuzzybear

Fuzzybear Contributing Member

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing recently, but one thing bothers me.

We nearly traded him. I mean we were that close, and he HAS to know this. Another reason for me to believe that management is incompetent, is how everyone seemingly knew about our Brandon Roy plans, and that Head was the throw in.

3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

I like Luther's offensive game, but he will get pummelled on D at his size and weight playing the 2.

He needs to bulk up...that's how James or (a younger) Wesley are competent defenders dispite being undersized.

So he is one to two years away from having a chance to be a legitimate starter in the NBA.

I do however see some 6th man potential this season...I think he and JL3 could tear through the reserve backcourts of most teams...meaning we could show two different paces to the D.

With starters, (Alston, FA, TMAC, Battier, Yao) ...we could let Alston set up our big guys to establish our potentially-dominant Yao-based half court offense.

Just when the D is adjusting, we can bring put in our reserves and pretend we are phoenix for the next 8 minutes. ;)

But I am thinking Head may be a surprisingly effective 6th man this season.

I know...optimistic. :D

4. BrockStapper

I shared those same concerns during the draft.

I'm hoping now that it isn't just because he is trade bait and that he is actually progressing well.

I like the kid.

I also agree with the sixth man comment, although right now I would choose him over Sura to start if we had to put a team out there tomorrow.

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I was incredibly surprised that he didn't play the summer league. I mean even Dwight Howard played the summer league after his rookie of the year season. And Howard said that it was a good decision and worth participating in. So I don't see any reason why Head couldn't use the work.

Now if he's going to be playing in the Fonde league then I can understand it. But if he's not playing at Fonde either then I've really got to question Luther and the front office on that decision and wonder if something is going on.

6. nix101

nix101 Member

Luther should have played in the summer league, but it's evident that he doesn't work on his game. All he does his shoot 3s and drive. He has no mid-range game.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Surely one of our insiders can discover just what Luther is doing this summer. It is curious that there's been no news about him. I agree that Head may be in a deal, although it'd be nice to just keep a player, rather than trade him, and then attempt to reaquire him a year later.

8. BrockStapper

"Luther should have played in the summer league, but it's evident that he doesn't work on his game. All he does his shoot 3s and drive. He has no mid-range game."

did you hang out with him last weekend or something?

I agree that last year there was no midgame action... I see nothing to suggest he isn't working on his game. The pic in that other thread about whatever game that was he recently played in shows he's certainly been training.

I'm interested in how he is doing now.

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I really think some forum rules should be put in place against posts like these that just mindlessly bash players on the team. It's one thing to criticize, but I mean come on...

This is mild compare to some of the things you see. I remember last year when Luther was drafted, I think it was Baqui99 who said sometime along the lines of "Luther Head is a piece of crap" before he had even played a game at the NBA level..

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It would be easier if we didn't have to read them.

11. ximen

ximen Member

I don't think it's a bad thing for him knowing he was a trade bait in the draft just for a couple of drafting slots, obviously other teams didn't love him that much, otherwise we have landed ROY already. He must work very hard this summer, he was very lucky last season, especially in JVG's team, already have one year experience under the belt, I expect him a bit more supports from the bench next season.

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

There's this thing called an ignore list. nix101 landed there in like two posts. I don't really have any patience for people who are extremely critical but don't really know what they're talking about.

13. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

14. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

I agree these idiotic post by incompetent members of the board need to be stopped. But we will give you the benifit of the doubt if your smart a$$ can tell us how you know Luther does not work on his game because it seemed very obvious to me that his body was transforming last season.

15. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

He didnt get traded because the deal between the Rockets and Twolves got ended because Portland caught wind of the deal and took Foye before the Rockets could. It had absolutly nothing to do with Luthers trade value!

16. BrockStapper

well for cryin' out loud. that's why he did so well. he was playing against fifth graders...

I don't know about the forum Gestapo stuff. I believe in freedom for all to display their ignorance in a fashion in which the whole world may enjoy. There are certainly times I offer my share of "joy".

on a different topic, I can't search. I was trying to dig up that game he just played in to search for clues. help?

haha, page nine of my google search dug this up though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKUmW-zQiyU

here's why he's in shape. been building a gameroom or something.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2006/06/26/focus5.html

All-Star Miracle Home. Houston athletes are lending their star-power to design of the All-Star Miracle Home, being built by Meritage Homes in Sienna Plantation as a community fundraiser for Children's Miracle Network of the Greater Houston area and the Houston Rockets' Clutch City Foundation.
    The fundraiser has added some big names to the design team. Houston Rockets players Chuck Hayes, Luther Head and Tracy McGrady have agreed to design rooms within the home. Hayes will add his own personal touch to the media room, while Head and McGrady will handle both the game room and guest room respectively.

blah blah blah

google:

Clutch BBS - Rockets 2006: Game Action & Roster MovesThreads in Forum: Rockets 2006: Game Action & Roster Moves, Forum Tools ... Luther Head in Charity Game ( Multi-page thread 1 2 ). McGrady. 06-27-2006 10:51 ...
    bbs.clutchfans.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9&page=1&sort=lastpost&order=asc&pp=20&daysprune=7 - 67k - Cached - Similar pages

so close... so so close...

ohhh! had the date though.

here we are... http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=114303

man was that anti-climactic or what? it wasn't fifth graders, it was a no defense free for all. damn I hate the offseason.

#16 BrockStapper, Jul 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  17. ximen

ximen Member

I know you will argue about this. If he was attractive enough, I believe there will have team willing to take the risk of swapping picks with us. Although with good stat padding last season, his trade value still isn't as high as his stats.

18. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

That's hilarious with the Fegwu mention at the end. I wish he would play above the rim like that a little more.

19. nix101

nix101 Member

You guys are just like Right-wing Republicans who always praise the country not matter what we do.

Head's game is the same last season as it was in his senior year at Illinois. Great threat from beyond the arc, can drive, plays D, but no midrange game.

20. today

today Contributing Member

I didn't see this mentioned.... One other option is that we're shopping him around, and held him out of the Summer League so that he wouldn't get hurt... I hope this isn't the case, but it's the flipside of the coin, so I thought I'd mention it.

Edit: I see that m_cable alluded to this at the end of one of his posts.

#20 today, Jul 14, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006