1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reed Sheppard

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Rokman, Apr 17, 2024.

1. j@amc

j@amc Member

Keep in mind: FVV played 4 years of college and went undrafted. It's difficult to use a top-10 pick on an undersized guard.

roslolian and Invisible Fan like this.
  2. j@amc

j@amc Member

For this week's mock, Jonathan Wasserman (Bleacher Report) has the Rockets picking #4 and selecting Reed Sheppard. Seems pretty high.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not if the pic is not only good at defense, but is the only first-round pick from college that has has shot over 50% from the 3 in over 35 years. That's too good to pass up to me, especially when we desperately need great 3 PT shooters. We already know Amen and Sengun aren't those guys, and Jalen is a big up and down shooter. Besides, he's 3 inches taller than Chris Paul, and an inch taller than Steph Curry. Some guys actually get taller after high school too. My brother grew 6 inches after HS.

MadMax94$ and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  4. Bo6

Bo6 Member

crazy Sheppard is a top 5 pick. Shows how weak this class is. He's 15-25 in most classes.

roslolian and Rokman like this.
  5. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I don't think it's crazy, but what do I know? I don't know how you can discount the best 3 PT shooter that's come along in years. Maybe if he was terrible at creating his own shots or playing great defense, but from everything I've read about him that's not an issue.

Rokman likes this.
  6. Rokman

Rokman Member

Really hard to tell how well he will transition to the NBA, and I have my doubts, but damn those shooting percentages are seductive!

No Worries and deb4rockets like this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That seductive 3 stroke and finish.

8. prs325

prs325 Member

I’m watching the Pacers in the playoffs and see how TJ McConnell impact the games
    If he’s TJ with a jump shot, Ime would have no problem using him just as he uses FVV or Aaron
    Gives Ime another feisty defender with an ability to spread the floor and can play with any of the core 6

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

I hear ya. Do you think the he's going to slip out of the Top 10? I don't think there's a Mock Draft out there with him anywhere outside the Top 10 but then again same could be said for Whitmore last year.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

He's not good on defense. He is only good in college.

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That's an odd statement.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

This is lengthy, but the highlights are shooting, passing, and defense, in that order. His passing skills are really impressive, especially firing to players across the court before defenses get set. Reminded me of some of Harden's passes. I'm thinking he could transition into Fred's spot at PG with some experience, especially with his vision and passing skills.

#52 deb4rockets, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
    xtruroyaltyx and Rokman like this.
  13. razorback88s

razorback88s Member

He's actually gonna be 20 by the draft, so he's not a (very very) young guy with as much untapped potential as Sarr or Holland.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic with picking Reed. But, since whoever we pick is probably spending next year in the g league (and not learning directly from the vets), I'd rather get somebody who has the highest ceiling outcome if they keep growing and adding skills.

Who knows? There might be a "Giannis" in this "weak" draft, and I would like to have that player, even if it's his 1% top outcome projection.

#53 razorback88s, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
  14. Rokman

Rokman Member

That's a hell of an impressive video. He's got to go Top 3.

deb4rockets likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I think so too. I think Sheppard has the tools to be another Steph Curry, regardless of what the critics say. Look at what the critics said back before the Curry draft....

"First step is average at best."
    "Too skinny."
    "Can't get to the rim at NBA level."
    'Can't guard NBA guards."
    "Not a true Point Guard."
    "Poor shot selection."

Sheppard has already shown superior passing skills, phenomenal 3 PT shooting, and great court vision in getting that ball into the hands of playmakers, while also making great steals and blocks on defense. I think he would fit in great as our future PG, and create plenty of opportunities for everyone around him to excel offensively. I'd like to draft Sheppard along with a forward who is great at driving it inside to score and blocking shots defensively.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

Curry went off in March Madness with several 30 PT games, Shepherd scored like 3 pts on 1/5 shooting. And yes it's just one game, but it does show you Shepherd can Def struggle if focused on and targeted.

If we're gonna get Shepherd why not just get Dalton Knecht? Knecht is just as good as Shepherd but is taller and served as the main weapon of his team.

Personally I would rather get Cody Williams. He has one of the higher ceilings in this draft class imo.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Isn’t Dalton like 40?

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He has super impressive tape. And the stats pop, similar to Tari and Alperen.

We need elite shooting in the worst way, and this guy can play 1 or 2, which is super important next to Amen and Alperen.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah he is super old. But on the plus side he got great development for years and I have more confidence on his shot being real and translatable due to his high sample size. He is also taller than Shepherd by 3 inches and more athletic than Shepherd.

But like I said I'd prefer a high upside guy like Cody Williams, Stephen Castle, Kyshawn George or even Tidjane Salaun.

RudyTBag likes this.
  20. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Hen picking a game doesn't sway me any more than saying a guy like Jalen is a superstar after one month of good shooting. I prefer looking at averages over time. Nobody knows what Sheppard's ceiling will be but he's already shown he's got phenomenal skills. My guess is his progress in being a top tier shooter will come much quicker than Jalen, who is a bottom tier shooter after 3 long years as a starter. He also doesn't have the passing skills Sheppard does, even now. Maybe the lottery God's will shine upon us and we can get both a top wing like Cody and guard like Sheppard. :)

Rokman likes this.