1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Ancient Moabite

Do you have reading comprehension probs?

Nobody is saying the play-in is dangerous, but saying that if Green can put together strong 7 out of 10 game stretches for now and future, that would good for the team and make them dangerous rather it be the actual playoffs or making the play in

So I guess this years team is like the 18' team, they could beat anybody and also be beaten in return, whoa what a deja vu feeling

Mathloom likes this.
  2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I was never that much into Jalen from the onset. A utopian world where Porter Jr is a good guy, he'd be a better player for this team as a 2 with no PG responsibilities. He was the better player between them already.

I thought Jalen as too typical the AAU athletic prospect, needing deeper work on his overall skills. He had just enough "bag" against G League & high school with first-step blowby ability to compensate, but suspect to work against NBA.

Dont expect double digit assists from him, but he is closer to Cam Whitmore black hole than a willing decent passer. As high as he can jump, even considering his thin frame he is still a poor rebounder too. No steals, has shaky D, doesnt attract gravity on O, below average shooting, what is he lending exactly?

To his credit, he does drive and get to the line. His ceiling was still higher than most everyone in his draft class, can understand liking that upside. I just think he's more an athletic poor man's Kevin Martin, if even that, than an elite guard. That said, he's still 21 with some chance at improvement, but time's ticking to show that

HardenReturns likes this.
  3. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

The more I hear about JG and how bad he is, the less I want to trade him every day. Right now there have been proposed trades of two mid firsts and an Eric Gordon type vet, I don't want to take the risk on those picks right now. I think we can get those picks from someone on the last days of JGs contract if we wanted, we could get that even if we extended him on a team friendly deal later. I will go out on a limb and say this is the bottom of his trade value for the next decade barring an injury. There are a handful of guys I would consider including him in a deal with, and they would mostly be superstar guards under 30 years old that want to be in Houston long term. I think he will be signed to a reasonable deal in the $10-$20M/year range for 3 years or less. If he is a late bloomer then we will get the benefit of signing him a value deal. If he sucks then we can get two mid firsts for him if hes still under 25 years old at almost any time. Unless I am hearing Donovan, Ja, Luka, Trae, Haliburton, Fox, type players names being mentioned I wouldn't have much interest.

jcmoon and Mathloom like this.
  4. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Luckily for argument sake this wont happen because Jalen sucks ass.

HardenReturns likes this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If you’re a make or miss player only you better make. Curry does better than just about any player ever. Jalen does not consistently enough and he’s not giving anything else that’s worth keeping him on the court. Which is why he spends a lot of minutes on the bench with a coach that holds him accountable.

that we are even having a discussion about Jalen that involves the name of Steph Curry is just wacky to me

Corrosion and DaDakota like this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

But, to be fair, as I posted on the other thread, if he could develop like Jamal Murray did, after the first 4 years, he could still be a key contributor to a championship run, as a "1B".

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/jalen-green-will-be-the-rockets-numero-uno.321957/#post-15002005

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/jalen-green-will-be-the-rockets-numero-uno.321957/#post-15002008

7. Falcao

Falcao Rookie

After watching the Celtics/OKC game tonight, I think a move needs to be made for SGA, even if we overpay some.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I get the reason for the prediction, but I don't see why they would unless someone REALLY overvalues him.

I mean, sure they probably aren't going to want to extend him so getting something is better than nothing, but do they really need more 2nd round draft picks?

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

and you think OKC would trade SGA to houston for what reason?

IvanLCPM likes this.
  12. vince

vince Member

It would depend if the Rocket think that they’d rather go with either of Whitmore and/or Amen. I still am intrigued by Jalen Green; though as an arm-wrest fan, I’m not going to pretend to know more than the coaches who see him every day in practice.

I’ve always liked Lance Zierlein, and he’s been connected to the sports scene for a while, so I figure he would have some contacts within the organization that maybe feeding him reliable info.

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Well, your realization is about two years too late. SGA is as untouchable as it gets.

Not to mention OKC has been tearing it up with their young core. They have a bright future, for many seasons to come. Who in their right minds would trade their best player now?

#1513 duluth111222, Jan 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
    GOATuve likes this.
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Trading Jalen during the season makes very little sense to me. They should evaluate during the summer. However, I don't give a care what someone's opinion is about percentages this summer. Why?

Because the 51 games remaining are far more important for judging Jalen than the 31 already played.

Those of you who have completely given up on him having a long term future on the Rockets won't agree with that, but whatever. I expected him to struggle adjusting to Udoka more than any other player. For the first time in his life, he's being asked to play winning basketball instead of meaningless exhibition games. Maybe he needed to hit rock bottom before finally forcing himself to adapt to the new reality. Or maybe his recent production will end up being the peak of his season as he reverts to previous form. We'll see.

Those of you who are old enough should know the experimentation will start winding down soon as winning games becomes the only thing that matters. The rotation will harden as cream rises to the top, dregs settle on the bottom and the mediocre swims in the middle.

I just wish so many here could remove their negative emotions and stop attacking each others motives about players. What we all (should) have in common is that Rockets red is more important than promoting our pet player or criticizing our favorite scapegoat.

BigMaloe, Easy, fattz and 3 others like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not disagree with that part, only that I do not think they will be dangerous this year, sure, we have no data of what they will be this year and they can surprise in some games but it is more likely that newcomers will flame out than not.......unless they have more experience.....

Banking on inexperience is not something I do, that has nothing to do with reading comprehension or not, it is just your opinion.

You cannot evaluate being dangerous, but what you can do is gather STATS of how they did.....

evo8lover likes this.
  16. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Exactly. Trading him mid-season make no sense as we are still rebuilding. We should see what opportunity is available in the summer. Don't just make trade because we have to. It has to make sense.

Easy, cmlmel77, fattz and 1 other person like this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Imagine a trade deadline where we send out both Jalen and Landale

[​IMG]

Corrosion likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

When was the last time Rafa made a trade that was not to get rid of a player but to acquire someone substantial......(not Free Agency)

Asking for a dozen friends.

Little Bit likes this.
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

FIFY

Mathloom likes this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Rockets are + 4 with Tate on the floor, and - 12 with Jalen on the floor

Thats a 16-point differential between the two on/off per 100 pos

[​IMG]

and only one of them boys is playing 18 mpg off the bench YOU KNOW WHAT IM SAYING

Corrosion and HardenReturns like this.