1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I lost my home today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Aug 29, 2017.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Wow. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

2. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Sorry for your loss brother. I'm in Ft Bend and was lucky enough to escape Harvey with minimal damages. As soon as I can get out of my subdivision, I will volunteer and do all that I can to help my fellow Texans. You and yours are in my prayers.

DonKnock likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so sorry to read this . . . really wish I could do more to help other than make donations. you'll be in my thoughts and prayers

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

justtxyank, DonKnock and Yung-T like this.
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'm so sorry man...I can only imagine.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Terrible. Sorry to hear it

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm so sorry. :(

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

sh*t bro.

9. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Sorry for your loss. Memorial near Beltway we also had 4-6 feet of water. Stay safe.

justtxyank and DonKnock like this.
  10. zzpot

zzpot Member

I know the area... I drove that rout everyday for about 7 years to and from work, and under the beltway it would always flood out during heavy rains. The summer of 1994 I took a contract job in Aurora Illinois at the Caterpillar plant and froze my ass off for two winters there.... but I made hella money doing it. I got to watch the Rockets win our first Championship in a sports bar and won some good cash on bets too... I was on cloud 9 for months... fond memories.

Be safe friend

DonKnock likes this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Incredibly sorry for this, justtxyank. Though hard to see at the moment, there must be a silver lining somewhere in this. At least I hope there is.

Wishing you and your family a speedy recovery from this. I'm always open to helping if there is something I can do.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Ugh. I'm so sorry to hear this. My wife's extended family have at least 3 houses totally flooded out so far. Mostly out past Baytown.

13. zzpot

zzpot Member

Thanks.... I posted earlier on that thread.....I had to get off this PC and take a nap... my brain was racing trying to rework my life as it is.... I just got back from seeing another friend, he gave me what he could in spare in cash, bought me a 6 pack of beer, some Cigars and a cheese burger... tomorrow will work itself out.. Right now I'm dry and safe with a pot to piss in and a mattress to sleep on with a FAN to blow on me.... YEAH, "dude" (George) came through with an old box fan that was locked up and we got it going. I took both screens off (Front & back) and blasted the motor with Carburetor Cleaner, dried it with compressed air then used WD40 + drilled out the back plate so I could drip some 90W gear oil on the shafts front and back... hour later it was kicking A$$ (like new) and is blowing on me now.. :)

I don't have anything to donate but will take what people can give to me if that's Ok... I lost it all like so many others but I'm still counting my blessings one by one, I'm still recovering from a broken kneecap that needs surgery so I have to walk with a cane and can't do Machinist work like I used too..... or shade tree Auto work from the ground. I've lost about 8,000 dollars in tools from this flood and the little job I had plus the place I was living ( For cheap ) in Meyerland that I had to swim out of Saturday night. During that trek I lost my ID and Cash out of my pocket in the neck deep fast water... my damn Nike's kept trying to float up with each step, when I got to high ground the bottoms (rubber Souls) were gone.... the glue let go and I was walking on the thin layer of the insole.. damn you Nike for the cheap glue job..... Fun Fact... Did you know that cash US Dollars float?... They do, and the money in my pockets floated away as did my ID, bank card and even the change.

Sorry for my sad story... just letting it out a little I guess... small venting session... I'm going to put together a list of things I think I need... like socks, a pair of good shoes, a Backpack (a large one and a small one) to carry stuff... Some gift cards... Bus passes to get around with when Metro starts running again... I will have to apply for food stamps ( I have a place to stay but I have to feed myself too... reduce my burden here).

Stay blessed and dry.... I don't know why but I feel a little more energized because of this mess.... maybe it's the beer and cheese burger talking... but damn this fan feels great blowing on me right now.

Contact me here to help me with small stuff. Thank you

harveyhelp2017@yahoo.com

Rick

#73 zzpot, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    justtxyank, DonKnock, Easy and 4 others like this.
  14. zzpot

zzpot Member

About one hour ago I heard they were getting hammered by hard rains... hope for the best...

15. zzpot

zzpot Member

Not sure where you are in America or the world.....right now in Houston TX, the waters are going down, but the reality of what happened to us is deep. A storm and high water took everything from a lot of us, mainly our homes and beds that we would be sleeping in at night. I swam out of of my home and am grateful for friends that are putting me up right now but the other reality is that I no longer even have a job to go to.... A total loss for my boss and 48 people out of work plus our own tools that we use to do the job... all gone as of 4 days ago. the shop.. whole building is still under water off telephone RD and 610 loop. I'm a bit lost even thinking about it.

Contact me here if you can help me or just to ask me.

harveyhelp2017@yahoo.com

Rick.

#75 zzpot, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    DonKnock, Yung-T and justtxyank like this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Rick. I feel you. I had to get wife into a boat with strangers while I watched.

The update is that we will probably have several feet of water for several weeks. There appears to be no chance of a "restore" for the home. Looking into corporate housing now hoping for FEMA support to help cover the rent while I wait for some mortgage relief. I have a pair of jeans, a pair of khakis and two pair of shorts.

Just defeating.

DonKnock and Yung-T like this.
  17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Does FEMA provide some kind of temporary living assistance to disaster areas like housing and food for a few months?

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They did during Katrina, but I think it is really left to the discretion of Trump and crew and how much they want to fund it.

DonKnock likes this.
  19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I am sure it will get done even with Trump administration in charge, and it is Texas after all.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

man, that is just heartbreaking. is there a chance you'll be able to recover any belongings, perhaps from the second story rooms or the attic for instance? my prayers are with you bro

Yung-T likes this.