1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2016 NBA Draft/2-43] Zhou Qi

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 23, 2016.

?

Do you like the selection of Zhou Qi?

Poll closed Oct 26, 2016.
  1. YES

67.8%
  2. NO

32.2%
  1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

2. j@amc

j@amc Member

What was new today was how he pushed back. Though he was clearly tired, he battled and used his frame. That was the first time that I've really seen him try to control a point. And he was clearly having fun on the break!

Bo6, GotGame15, icewill36 and 3 others like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

So due to genetic reasons, asians should not compete in professional sports like football or basketball? Is that your take?

We should not expect anything from Qi because of your genetic profiling?

Mathloom, dreamshakin and dc rock like this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Stop, D-rock. It's obvious that WE just don't get it.

D-rock, Asian Sensation and Mathloom like this.
  5. icewill36

icewill36 Member

impressive. he is absorbing contact a lot better than last year

6. aroundtheblock2

Could you honestly be more racist?

csj likes this.
  7. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Did I ever suggest that or you just want to make it up to allow yourself feel better?

Check back a few posts and see what I have mentioned : I said, just because Zhou is tall and skinny, it doesn’t necessary mean adding muscles and weight will help his game. And my reason being, the Asians athletes are having a different body than the Western, it is not a good idea by adding those muscles if the generic frame isn’t built to handle it.

Just check how Capela played and his role in this team, it was never about muscles and power, it’s about his speed, footwork, movement and how high he can jump. And you still want to say by adding muscles and weight will help Zhou to do better in these fields?

Or rather he should focus on his shooting, passing and basketball IQ ?

8. BackdoorHarden

Based on Clutchfans.com, no asian should ever play basketball unless his name is Yao

D-rock likes this.
  9. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

No amount of egalitarian thinking can override genetics. Of the 450 NBA players out there, about 75% of them are black, and the vast majority of them are black americans (about 3% of the 2.4 billion blacks on earth). The other 24.2% are caucasian*, with a disproportionate amount of balkan slavs (former Yugoslavia makes up about 1.3% of the 2.3 billion caucasians on earth).

That .8% is Zhou Qi, Jermey Lin, and Jordan Clarkson (Half black, but I'll count him as asian even though light skins won't be counted as caucasian because I'm lazy) . The only east asians in the NBA out of the 2.5 billion east asians on earth.

Stop trying to hide truths with insults, those who fault you for what you are born as aren't worth your time anyways.

*Includes middle east, north africa, turkic peoples, and much of india.

10. Chamillionaire

Well said.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

There is only one true Caucasian player in the NBA: Zaza Pachulia.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What in the sam hell **** is going on in this thread? I thought it was going to be about his summer league play, future with the team, but na asian genetics...

He's played well, but still looks like he'd be unplayable in the NBA due to his lack of strength. It's clear he isn't quick enough to play the 4 defensively with the entire league downsizing to small ball 4's, his only hope to sustain a NBA career looks like center. He has to add 40 pounds of muscle or he won't be playable at the next level. Good news is that he's only 22 and is locked up for the next 3 seasons. So he has plenty of time, he's going to be a late bloomer if he ever becomes a real rotation player... but if he can get there his combination of shooting and shot blocking is special and would make him a valuable piece.

13. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

What the Morey is going on in here?!

pantherheat32 likes this.
  14. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

under that logic the only black players are Thon Maker and Tony Snell

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOFs who don’t watch the Rockets derailing this thread

Zhou sucked in summer league last year
    Cause he did
    And he’s way better this year cause he is

But he’s not replacing Capela as some of the non fans are saying

roslolian likes this.
  16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LOFs

Land of confusion

PhilCollins likes this.
  17. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Needs to up the intensity when he plays. Work on his stamina. Remember to get in better defensive stance. Getting blown by too easy sometimes. I've seen him do much better.

Still more of a 4/5 now and of course matchup dependent..kinda like how warriors switch between Looney and mcgee depending on matchup.

Anyway moot point . Dantoni only plays 8 Or 9 folks so good luck expecting playtime.

dreamshakin and Mathloom like this.
  18. thething

thething Contributing Member

I was wondering if Zhou could take on the Tarik Black role from last year, and so far it looks like he can. He doesn’t offer much offensively but on defense he could be a plus in certain situations. The truth is that Nene will be another year older and less reliable. I know that backup center is not an essential role in many cases, but there are scenarios where it is helpful especially in the regular season, and we didn’t sign anyone to take Black’s spot.

Onuaku and Zhou are the only ones on the roster besides Nene and Clint, so one of them needs to step up this season.

D-rock and Chamillionaire like this.
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Are they playing him as center? I honestly thought the plan was for him to b a pf to replace whoever playing there in da future?

tinman likes this.
  20. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

isaiah hartenstein probably be line first for backup 5. He sets better screens. Bulkier. Much higher motor. More physical.
    Zhou better as Anderson replacement when we need stretch ability.

roslolian likes this.