1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zach Lowe: HOU ditched early 90s logo cuz Les A. thought it had become synonymous with losing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 8, 2015.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Our current logo isn't that bad...but it is a little "basic b****".

2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think it's alright. The anal retentive side of me doesn't like the R being above the H, but it's the best of the 3 primary logos associated with the franchise. Yes, the ketchup and mustard uniforms are better than our current duds, but that logo from the championship years was weak. If they could come up with a new logo that retains the font from that era and then reintroduce uniforms that mirror the old ones, we'd be in business.

BTW, I had no idea the Rockets tried to back out of the cartoon logo and pinstripe pajama uniforms after the back-to-back titles. In retrospect, they really should've eaten the 7 figures and kept their uniforms, logo, and court design. I still maintain to this day that those unis were a curse for this franchise. Almost nothing good happened during that era:

1996: Tons of injuries and swept by Seattle.
    1997: Tons of injuries and beaten by Stockton's shot.
    1998: Barkley tears his tricep with the Rockets on the verge of an historic upset. The Jazz recover to win in 5.
    1999: The Quitten disaster.
    2000-03: Steve Francis lotto years. Yao loses Rookie of the Year to Amare.

Granted, there were plenty of years of futility after the return to Rockets red. But at least from that point forward, we were in the posteason most years, we won 50+ games several times, and we've had 3 playoff series wins(which equals the grand total in those awful unis).

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I have detested all uniforms since the big switch. Just freaking horrible. Though not quite on par with Bud killing the Oilers, it is close. Just another example of how people with money think they are experts on everything.

Bring back the real uniforms, or at least some slightly modernized version of the championship classic. I'll always be a Rockets fan, but I'd be more of one if they had a good uniform.

4. PJ86

PJ86 Member

R above what H? There's no H

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The big conclusion to get from this is that the league won't allow us to go back to the championship era jerseys/logo because it will cut into the retro jersey revenue stream.

Right?

So people can stop b*tching?

Also, I'm glad that some of our worst years a concentrated in the flying dildo jerseys. Looks like Les' plan worked...the second time around

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The logo isn't great, but it's not bad. The uniforms simply must change, however.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I enjoyed Zach Lowe's NBA Logo Rankings article. And never knew that bit of history about the Rockets wanting to reverse course on the logo change but didn't want to pay that price.

I like our current "R" logo, mostly because it is timeless and simple and at the same time not stock.

This quote...

That is what they said of the Pistons logo. And it would have echoed for the yellow/red basketball logo.

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I don't love the "R," but I have to admit that its simplicity in comparison to the other logos is kinda dope.

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Basically. Yes. But people will keep b****ing.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

You never noticed the two exhaust streams from the R pass through that ring and form a letter H?

11. PJ86

PJ86 Member

That's a horrible attempt at an H then..it's just an R to many

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

:grin::grin::grin:

Is it just me or has Kam gotten super crotchety recently? Or maybe it's not recent?

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

that is a sad fact of history

14. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

This should be the T-Wolves logo. I'd totally buy an XXXL t-shirt with that logo.

[​IMG]

15. Rox23

Rox23 Member

I became a Rox fan around 2002 upon the draft selection of Yao Ming. Prior to that time the Rox were one of my least favorite teams in the NBA. The Rox were just the two-man game of ball-hog Francis and chucker Mobley, and a bunch of scrubs who defended and collected rebounds. However what I liked least about the Houston team was their god-awful uniforms. Those things were heinous! I wanted them to lose based on uniforms alone.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This is why i love the Texans logo...it can stand alone without anything else, no words necessary.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

so what's the excuse for not simply tweaking it and working around league rules?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I imagine that that is exactly what management wants and will eventually do.

My comment was directed towards the folks who relentlessly pine for the championship era logo/jersey as if it was an option.

Edit: If you look at the old wordmark logo, they definitely built upon it to get the current "ketchup and mustard" jerseys. So management definitely tried tweaking and working around league rules as per the Hawks.

#58 shastarocket, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  19. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

So he changed our logo to a penis? Awesome

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the red/yellow/white logo with the basketball and rocket in the center was the best i'd ever seen. we should use that one.