1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yulieski Gurriel agrees to 5/$47M deal with the Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rocketpower2, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You have 2-3 year window where the core of your guys are still cheap.

Sale is an Ace.
    Jose is very good and has been for a few years.
    Shields is salary dump
    Abreu is a border line all star he would be our starting 1b
    David Robertson would be a good setup man.
    Eaton would be our starting CF
    Melky would be our starting DH.

Heck I would even throw in springer.

Here would be our lineup
    eaton
    Gurriel
    altuve
    correa
    Abreu
    melky
    C
    LF
    RF

And our pitching staff would be
    Sale
    Quintana
    Dallas
    4th
    5th starter.

As we have seen, a lot of these prospects don't amount to much like singleton, tucker, aj reed (so far) etc.

I would rather take a shot for a ring in the next few years while we have altuve and correa for cheap.

Of course this trade is pretty absurd and would never happen, but if the white sox agree to do that deal without springer I would be all over that deal and with springer in that deal I would be fine with it.

If crane can't afford a 160M dollar payroll we need a new owner.

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Let's keep going down this rabbit hole. Take out Eaton and Perez. I could then see the hypothetical trade broken down into 2 parts:

Robertson, Cabrera, and Shields in a salary dump for Fiers and Preston Tucker. Maybe Houston throws in a C+ grade reliever prospect like Hoyt, Gustave, Guduan, or Jankowski.

Sale, Abreu, and Quintana for Bregman, McCullers, Martes, K Tucker, Musgrove, Paulino, Reed, Fisher, and Moran. If the Sox want sweeteners, throw in Stassi, Kemp, and any other reliever prospects they want (McCurry, West, etc.). That would essentially give the Sox an entire roster of MLB ready prospects to pair with Anderson, Rodon, Fulmer, and Collins, along with a virtually empty payroll. Plus they'd still have Lawrie and Frazier to trade. Houstons resulting roster would be:

RF Springer
    3B Gurriel
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    1B Abreu
    DH Cabrera
    C Gattis
    LF Hernandez
    CF Marisnick

Bench: Marwin, TBD (Heineman, Stubbs, maybe bring back Castro or sign Avila), TBD (Kemp, Aplin, maybe bring back Rasmus)

Rotation:
    Sale
    Keuchel
    Quintana
    McHugh
    Shields

Bullpen:Sipp, 2 TBD (competition between NRIs and prospects), Devenski, Feliz, Harris, Gregerson, Giles

If they sign Gurriel they'd still have a viable farm featuring Gurriel, Whitley, Cameron, A Abreu, Perez, Sierra, etc. It would open up some spots in the upper minors for Luhnow to find castoffs which he's shown he's good at.

The real issue would be Houstons ability to absorb all that payroll.

3. body slam

body slam Member

what the latest on Lourdes Gurriel?

4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Think we just traded him to the White Sox

I mean for the White Sox

5. prs325

prs325 Member

I remember back in the 90s when the Astros had Biggio, Bagwell, Finley, Gonzales, and Caminiti. If they had kept that core together I believe we would have one at least 1 WS. I hated that the brass blew up that group.

We had Harnisch, Kile, Shane Reynolds and Hampton growing into a formidable rotation with Hudek as the closer.

I just wish we could keep the current guys, nurture and add to the nucleus as they mature, like I wish they had with that 90s group.

1 person likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

+ Kenny Lofton, Curt Schilling

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

He has been retired for 20 years. He managed a bit in his retirement. He is 59 years old, so I just don't see the White Sox being that interested.

1 person likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You mentioned Hudek (essentially a half season wonder) over Wagner?

9. prs325

prs325 Member

Forgot about Wagner, who was on the 95 team. Hudek I believe was an allstar for that 1 season. Forgot Phil Nevin also who blossomed with the Padres.

The point is, I'd like to keep the nucleus together and add

10. prs325

prs325 Member

The point is, I'd like to keep the nucleus together and add[/QUOTE]

...pieces as they grow

11. vince

vince Member

You can't play them all. It's a 25 man roster.

Not every prospect is an ace in the hold, though the Astros do have some highly talented ones. I remember vividly as Luhnow said that his minor league system would be for two things, to produce MLB players or as trade bait; whichever added more value to the club. Hence why he never concerned too much about adding what seemed talent to already talented positions, (see Correa and drafting Bregman with other glaring positions very weak).

Bregman's stock is high. Like stratospheric high, I think is MLB debut rookie season has probably peaked the interest of everyone. Pick an Ace any ace, and a package built around Bregman might entice more teams than we would think.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://climbingtalshill.com/2016/10/27/houston-astros-any-updates-on-the-status-of-lourdes-gurriel/

13. Buck Turgidson

Did yall really meantion 1 year Hudek?

14. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Nah he said probably a bunch of garbage. As in prospect fail all the time.
    With that logic tho all trades are terrible lol (unless it's a swap of big league all stars)

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

FIFY...

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Tal Smith and his Phil Plantier BS. :mad:

17. vince

vince Member

Don't forget that crap they spewed how Derek Bell was going to make us forget all about Caminitu and Finley... How we were getting an MVP type player in Bell....

Astros blew it after Clemens and Pettite got them a World Series berth, because Bagwell messed up team chemistry with his ego to be on the roster, even though he took a productive players spot. The tandem of Biggio and Bagwell did not ever lead this team to a World Series appearance.

What a team they'd of had if not for crappy GM'ing and a money pinching owner.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm sure if they knew that Finley, Gonzales, and Caminiti would have started juicing the way they did they would have kept them around. They were all a bunch of slap hitters that started jacking ~40+ HR per season MVP candidates once they left.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Quoted for truth, our biggest mistake was apparently not convincing them to get on the juice sooner. That 93 team could have won the chip if Finley, Cammy and Gonzo hit like they did in Arizona and San Diego.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

Lol.

Bagwell made the team over, who, exactly? Charlton Jimmerson? Todd Self? John Franco? Who exactly did we leave off that roster who would've gotten us over the hump? No one. Bagwell went 1-8 that series. If you think giving those 8 at bats to Jose Vizcaino or whoever would've made a difference, then I don't know what to tell you.

Also, sans evidence beyond what appears to be pure speculation, I've never heard that Bagwell was an ego or locker room problem. Especially in 2005--with a team loaded with veterans--I just don't see "Bagwell's ego" being an issue. If anything, I'd bet that the players wanted Baggy in the WS. Based on what I've seen, Bagwell's teammates have loved playing with him. But hey, maybe you're right...maybe Biggio and Clemens went to Garner and pleaded for Todd Self's case.

Joshfast likes this.