1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yi Jian Lian to enter NBA 2007 Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by kingkow, Nov 2, 2006.

1. JustWannaChill

Right...the Chinese government is taking a break from having to manage the 2008 Olympics, the problem with the recalls of their export products, the Taiwan situation....etc to worry about which team a basketball player will play for. No offense but you don't seem to be a really bright person.

2. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

actually cba is part of the Chinese Government. it's a branch of the chinese sports ministry. its officials are on government payroll and its head is appointed by the ministry. in fact, all sports organizations/associations are owned and run by the government. however, yi's club team is privately owned. in yi's case, the cba does have a say whether yi can go to nba and they ok'ed it.

3. osna

osna Member

I like his dunk!

[​IMG]

4. RoxD

RoxD Member

If I say nonsense, you may say I am not polite. But I have to say your assertation is not fact based.

The only thing you pointed out correctly is the Yi's case. CBA ok'ed it, just like NBA ok'ed the Garnett's transfer to Boston Celtics. Completely normal practice.

When you say CBA is a branch of the Chinese sports ministry, and so on, please give me an organizational chart of that ministry to support your assertion. As far as I know, CBA (similar to The Chinese Volleyball Association) is a duely registered not-for-profit organization, not a part of the government.

5. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i assume you can read chinese.
    here is the link to the about section of cba official web site. it states very clearly cba is run by the bball admin center of national sports bureau.
    http://www.cba.gov.cn/zhongguolanxie.aspx
    another link i pulled from the government website to show that national sports bureau is part of the government. http://www.sport.gov.cn/jigou/jigou.htm

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

d-oh...

#626 Blake, Aug 31, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  7. RoxD

RoxD Member

You provide a right link. I mean the one “Introduction to CBA”. It is in Chinese, and not everyone here can understand the Chinese characters. Let me take the pain to translate the first few sentences of that paragraph. From the very beginning, it essentially says:
    “Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) came into being in June 1956. CBA is a nation-wide sports organization with the status of (independent) legal entity, a national not-for-profit confederation of basketball associations from provinces, ……..”.

I believe the nature of CBA is clear from this statement. (Please provide your own translation version of this statement )

If anyone still wants to say CBA is a part of the government after reading this statement from CBA, then …..let me stop here.

"Introduction to CBA" from the official CBA website http://www.cba.gov.cn/zhongguolanxie.aspx:

8. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

your translation is fine. and no, the nature of cba is not clear from the first sentence.

i hope you finished reading the rest of the page...in particular this sentence "国家体育总局篮球运动管理中心是具有篮球项目行政管理职能的事业单位,又是中国篮球协会的办事机构" reveals its relation to the government. essentially it states cba is run/represented by the national sports bureau which is part of the government...semantically, you can argue its not part of the government. but the government has the full control of the cba, which is what counts with regard to the discussion about Yi's situation.

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

none taken

especially since it appears that I was right

10. JustWannaChill

What has proved that you were right? Is it because Jonthy has made the last post so you think he must be correct? RoxD has said in his last post already that he would not keep arguing if anyone still didn't agree with him.

Also, even if we assume that Jonthy is correct, what has does it prove? The Bucks have gone to China to negotiated with the GuangDong Tigers since they are still holding Yi's cntract. Even Jonthy has said that the CBA is not the problem there.

So even Jonthy agreed that the Tiger is privately owned and the CBA is not the problem there. And, IIRC, it has been reported in the medias that the CBA officials have said that they don't mind which team Yi will play for as long as he plays in the NBA next season because all they want is that he will improve to play in the Olympics.

11. RoxD

RoxD Member

It seems to me that many people here know little about the China government reform taking place in the last ten years or so, since the concept of Chinese government has been unnecessarily extended by some posters here.

The goal of the Chinese government reform is to have the government do what it is supposed to do. To put it straight, the actual action is to "kick" out of the government all the operational branches, entities, and enterprises.

In the case of General Administration of Sports (someone referred it as National Sports Bureau), it kicked out all the operational branches out to form several self-supporting sports centers, including the one called National Basketball Sports Center. These sports centers are no longer part of the General Administration of Sports, hence not part of the government. None of these working in sports centers are on the payroll of the government.

Some staff members of the National Basketball Sports Center are said working in the daily operation office. That might be true. Even if this is true, it has nothing to do with the government proper.

For your reference, the total number of persons on government payroll in General Administration of Sports should be less than 300 after the reform on government.

To put us on the same ground, let me present the organization structure of the General Administration of Sports (the government sector for sports) according to one link given by a poster here. http://www.sport.gov.cn/jigou/jigou.htm

The General Administration of Sports is a ministry-level bureau, not a proper ministry. On the second level in the structure under this Administration are 12 Departments/Offices, and every Department/Office is divided into Divisions. Here are the details:

On the Top level, 10 officials:
    1 minister, 6 vice-ministers (including Mr. Zaiqing Yu, an IOC member), 3 assistant ministers

1. General Office
    1 Director-general (DG), 2 vice Director-general (VDG);
    5 divisions

2. Department of Sport for All
    1 DG, 1 VDG;
    3 divisions

3. Department of Competition and Training
    0 DG, 2 VDG, 2 VDG-level officials
    6 divisions

4. Department of Finance
    1 DG, 1 VDG, 1 VDG-level official
    4 divisions

5. Department of Policy and Regulation
    1 DG, 1 VDG;
    4 divisions

6. Department of Personnel
    1 DG, 1 VDG;
    4 divisions

7. Department of External Affairs
    1 DG, 2 VDG, 1 VDG-level official
    4 divisions

8. Department of Science and Education
    1 DG, 1 VDG;
    3 divisions

9. Department of Press and Publicity
    1 DG, 1 VDG, 1 VDG-level official
    3 divisions
    10. Office of the Party Committee
    2 VDG-level official
    2 divisions

11. Bureau of Disciplines
    1 DG;
    2 divisions

12. Bureau For Retired Officials
    1 DG, 2 VDG, 2 VDG-level official
    4 divisions

As you can see, there is no place for the national sports centers within this government ministry. According to the official website of National Basketball Sports Center, it is an institutional organization (in comparison to government branch).

On average, there are no more than 6 persons working in a division. Do you still think any official in this government has time and energy to take care of Yi JianLian’s transfer business? If so, he must have eaten too much.

12. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

false.
    National Basketball Sports Center IS an immediate direct division of the General Administration of Sports. see here http://www.sport.gov.cn/zsdw/lqzx.htm
    As are other centers. http://www.sport.gov.cn/zsdw/zsdw.htm

On the second level of the General Administration of Sports are

1. 12 Departments/Offices
    2. all sports centers
    3. all province-level General Administration of Sports

wiki also agrees with me. see here

13. RoxD

RoxD Member

I do not think you are trying to fool others here, but you do not know the differences between government (政府机关),institutional entity (事业单位)and enterprise (企业单位). Even if the later two categries are attached to the government (直属单位)in one way or another, they are still not government. I believe you have no working knowledge about the government systems and social systems in China now.

An institutional entity is an institutional entity, not a branch of the government.

National Sports Centers are institutional entities with the status of (independent) legal entity. And none of the branches of government is of the status of (independent) legal entity.

CBA has the status of (independent) legal entity too. And furthermore, CBS is a not-for-profit organization, which falls into the category of non-governmental organization. And the Head of CBA is elected by the National Committee of CBA, not appointed by the government.

I have said what I want to say about this matter. Hope it can help others to know more about the current government system and social system in China. Over.

14. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i see your point. but the difference is only sementic. they can call it whatever they want but it doesn't change the fact general administration of sport controls all sports centers the way it does its departments/offices.

false. you obviously don't follow sports events in China and your notion of election in China exposes your lack of knowledge of how the government/institutional entities/whatever work in China. the current head of CBA aka national basketball administration center was appointed by general administration of sport. http://sports.sina.com.cn/s/2003-06-14/1539463283.shtml

15. lmyt

lmyt New Member

It's funny to see the argument:)

16. Panda

Panda Member

The Basketball Administration Center that controls CBA is just a miniscule branch of the Sports Bureau which is just a miniscule branch of the Government of China. Nobody gives a crap about the Sports Bureau, well, except the Olympics maybe. Trust me, the Chinese would've rebelled against the government if it cares about trivial matters like what basketball player playing for what basketball team.