1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao, Rockets until retirement?????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Champ06, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Rockets with a GM as smart as Morey, when, if it does happen, that Yao will be traded. Some posters will say 'NEVER' but trade happen and it could be Yao. When McGrady signed with Rockets, I thought McGrady will be with Rockets until he retired. I was wrong. From Toronto to Orlando to Houston seemed like he will retire in Houston but.........thing happen and no one can predict correctly unless of course you are a certain 'person' up above ;) . Anyway, mind predicting.......

2. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Yao is different than McGrady. Yao is "a world wide market cash cow". He brings more than a basketball talent to the organization. Thats why i feel he will retire here no matter what it takes.

3. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Don't be surprised that you will be proved wrong by Morey...........

4. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Champ06... You Rang? :cool:

5. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Yao believes is thing called "loyalty", but ya still can't denounce the genius that is teh Wizard.

6. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

On a somber note, you could be right as Yao's retirement may be sooner than you think.

7. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think it's a safe assumption at this point that Yao will retire as a Rocket. They're going to sign him to a new contract, and chances are good it'll be his last. Early in his career, Yao always said that he expected to retire at around 30, the age his father was when his body forced him to retire. There aren't many scenarios that make sense for the Rockets to trade him.

8. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Retire as a Rockets is very possible. However, i still have a hard time believing in cash cow theories. If he was a cash cow of any sort, must be through the league and not the franchise.

9. Champ06

Champ06 Member

A trade is still possible even if Rockets is signing Yao to a new contract. I believe, Yao will understand if Morey decides that he has to go for the good of the Rockets. I still hope Yao will retire as a Rocket. I love a player with a gentleman attitude whether he's injury prone or not. It will be interesting to see Morey operated this coming season.

10. devilsdandruff

toyota center is surrounded with chinese advertisement banners.
    look at the scorer's table when you watch tv.

11. TopsDrop

TopsDrop Member

Cool story, Bro.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yao Ming will stay a Rocket because he isn't a hi kwality asslete. Rockets only screw over and dump hi quality assletes. Yao Ming isn't assletic enough in the hi quality sense of that word.

13. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Because hes a product of China and the league profits not Les directly. the league gave Yao the right to play here and therfor the league profits and Yao is only treated equal as any other player under contract. les only profits through ticket sales With or Without Yao.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If Morey could get something he felt was worth dealing Yao he would in a heartbeat. It's not a Morey issue though. If Yao gets dealt it isn't Morey's call.....

15. Champ06

Champ06 Member

It would be sad if a GM can't make a call on a player. There should not be special treatment to any player even if the person is Yao. Yao is a hard working player even though he is a star on Rockets team. So I think Yao know that there is no such thing as untouchable forever especially when your play deteriorate as you aged.

16. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

If the deal is right, I don't see why not. Sure Yao is a good player but if it takes to make the team better by trading him, why not? Cash Cow? Don't mean that we're winning games. To me, I don't care how much money Yao's bringing to the Rockets, I care more about the Rockets winning games more.

Yao being a cash cow is another thing I wanted to questioned. Over the years when the Rockets were rolling with an healthy Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, they never seem to put any quality pieces around them. I know Les is cautious about the Lux. tax but if it takes for the Rockets to get to the next level, he would. But when the Rockets had a shot to go far with their two core players in Tmac and Yao, the Rockets failed to put the right pieces around them.

Their reason was both Yao and Tmac's contract were too much and they didn't have room to sign other significant pieces so they settled for guys like Luther Head, J. Howard etc...

Well ever notice how the Cavs, Celtics, Lakers, Magic, and Dallas keep adding quality players to strengthen their rosters for the playoff run? Lakers got the best player in the world and they added an defensive monster in Artest and they surround Kobe with so many talents.

Cavs basically went out and get whoever Lebron wants. Shaq, Jamison, Mo, Anderson, Anthony Parker, West etc. The Cavs spent large amount of money so the Cavs would have a chance. The Celtics had their big 4 now and they added Wallace, Daniels along with a deep team to the mix.

Orlando Magic is a lineup of a fantasy basketball game. Nelson, Carter, Barns, Lewis, and Dwight at the starting 5. Then Pitreus, Riddick, White Chocolate, along with their deep bench.

Unlike any of those teams, the Rockets while their two stars were in their prime, the Rockets failed to do so. Even though they kept saying Yao Ming was a cash cow, they never really went out and spent the money to win. Every season they would sign a player for MLE, and vets contracts. But never the big money. So overall, the Rockets failed to achieve when they had the chance. Hopefully they can learn from all these teams... If you want to win big, you got to spend big bucks and will in good quality players other than having one or two good players and the supporting cast of crappy players.

17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Short answer ... "yes" ... he will be one of the top 5 Rockets... EVER!

:grin:

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You're probably right.

Once Yao acts like a baby; cries about playing time; has operations without the teams consent; cries about playing time; goes to the media to mock his teamates (and the ball boy); cries about playing time; demands the offense runs exclusively through him; quits in the middle of a game and lets his teammates go 4 on 5; turns up out of shape; loses 4/5ths of his "game"; and cries like a baby

THEN Morey will probably trade him.

2.5 years ago I thought McGrady would retire a Rocket - he dogged the organisation and the team in a big way. No surprise to see him gone at all.

Yao doesn't seem like that at all - I'd be willing to lay a bet on it that Yao never exhibits 'Tracy like' primadonna behaviour.

1 person likes this.
  19. Jaingfang

Jaingfang Member

Yao is staying in Houston for as long as he wants, and i'm sure Morey has no intentions of EVER trading him away. Remember, it's not just the player that we have in this 7'6 man, it's the sponsorships (look at the courtside seats at TC), and look how many nationally televised games we have this season compared to all the other seasons Yao played. How often can you say that we have one of the most recognizable people in the world just right here? :)

20. redracer1

redracer1 Member

There's no doubt that he's gonna end his career here in Houston. There's so much loyalty between the two sides. I just hope the being injury prone thing will be at least minimal for the rest of his playing career like the the Big Z who after having major surgery on his foot has become one of the iron man the league missing just a few games since.