1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Scola in town; no buyout yet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gotrock?, Jul 16, 2007.

1. scola

scola Member

For example Barcelona wants Rudy Fernandez (selected by the Suns for the Blazers in the last Draft), and he has a 3 million buy out clause. DKV Joventut doesn't want to let him go, so Barcelona would have to pay that money, but its highly unlikely since thats a lot of money.

In football, 3 millions to "buy a player" in the main leagues is almost nothing.

2. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

They are not going to schedule a conference just to say we still has to work out the details of the contracts. :eek:

4. Nero

Nero Member

Well, didn't it say 'agreed' to a contract, rather than actually 'signed' it?

5. scola

scola Member

Not really to replace Scola, they will probably find someone better. They have Splitter and this guy McDonald under contract now, they will go for two other big men. McDonald is valuable, because he married a Spanish woman and got the citizenship, and now he doesn't have to play as a foreigner. He was in talks with Tau way before Scola announced he was going to leave to the NBA.

6. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

Thanks for the info, Scola, I've enjoyed your posts. Any thoughts on the conference today?

7. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

Scola to meet Rockets Tuesday
    Luis Scola - F - HOU - Jul. 17 - 9:43 am et
    Luis Scola will be formally introduced to the media in Houston on Tuesday, but there is still no word whether he's been released from his contract with Spanish club Tau Ceramica.
    The fact that Houston has reportedly already agreed to a three-year deal with Scola suggests that getting him out of his European contract is a mere formality, but we should know more after today's press conference. The Rockets acquired Scola last week from the Spurs, who were unable to come to terms with him. Jul. 17 - 9:43 am et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pl...ngnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=902&line=83593&spln=1

8. scola

scola Member

Not really, just impatiently waiting to hear that he is free from Tau and signed the contract.

Maybe they will hand him the #4 to get some photos. :)

9. AggieRocketFan96

And I hate you haters that speak from such a high perch about us idiots. Your advice on taking some ladies and shutting up has been noted and will receive the full attention it deserves. Awesome to have such insightful people like you in the forums.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

It must be hot in Houston and maybe Shanghai??
    ... so many angry/upset posters this week.

Back on thread topic....Does anyone know if there will be a stream of the press conference today??

11. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The Rockets would pay his buy out under the table if that what's it take. No way he doesn't play for the Rockets this season. He only wanted a chance to start in the NBA.

12. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Anyone know if the news conference will be on the web or nba.com?

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, thanks for pointing it out. I also read the thread that said Scola signs contract and put it together with the agreed portion.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, or this is already answered, unlike futbol, houston can't pay that debt for him, or give him a cash payment like a signing bonus or something of the sort.

Another Cap question, the NBA has a soft cap, what league has a hard cap?

15. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Football has a hard cap.

16. scola

scola Member

The Rockets are only allowed to pay US$ 500.000. That means Scola will have to pay 2.500.000 of his own pocket.

The Rockets will surely give Scola more cash in his first season than in the other two of the contract to help him. Plus I think he will receive money for image rights or something like that.

I don't think there will be any issues. Nocioni got a similar contract from the Bulls, to pay a similar buy out to the same team.

17. WNBA

WNBA Member

why there is a buyout if he has not agreed to play for them?

Is there another contract says that Scola is owned by the team forever?

18. scola

scola Member

He is still under contract. The buy out for this year is of 3 millions, next year is of one million. Then he would be a free agent.

The thing is that if Spurs didn't sign or trade him this year, he would have signed another long term contract with Tau. Never getting to play in the NBA.

19. WNBA

WNBA Member

just my understanding, when Scola was drafted in 2002, he was under a long contract with a huge buyout at 15M.

had he ever really wanted to play in NBA with that kind of contract?

I thought Spurs were blocking him from NBA....looks like not.

20. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Is this his own intention or it is a rule of the euroleague?