1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Y Sports Radio] Calvin Murphy: Jeremy Lin Needs The Ball In His Hands

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball7, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Penetrate&Creat

Yes, why isn't Mr. Murphy our coach? He was a star guard, and our current roster has 2 of em.

MURPHY FOR 2013!

2. MOFvsLOF

MOFvsLOF Member

Then he must've been reading ClutchFans, LOL!

3. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Boo this man!!:mad:

4. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I apologize. My initial response was unkind. Hit up YouTube and watch a couple of vids on the man. He's awesome. Further, read about his boxing expoits, baton twirling, and how, despite his size he is considered to be one of the toughest men to ever play in the NBA.

After Kermit Washington punched Rudy T, there were many concerned that Calvin was going to find Kermit and retaliate.

Rockets legend.

5. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Dude, c'mon. Please don't derail this thread.

I liked what Murphy had to say about our TO's as well. Too many people handling the ball when they shouldn't be.

6. torocan

torocan Member

You wouldn't get any blow back if you had taken 30s to look up Calvin Murphy.

Calvin Murphy is a Houston Rockets legend. Even people who DON'T follow the Rockets know that if they've followed basketball for a long time.

If there is a commentator who you can trust to be looking at what's best for the Rockets, it's Calvin Murphy. He's a Rockets player and fan from pillar to post. And he's not the type to pull punches.

If he says that McHale and Co. are dropping the ball, it's because he believes it, not because he has an agenda. At least not an Agenda that isn't 100% about the Rockets winning.

7. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Murphy made good points and in an ideal situation Lin would be initiating the offense like a true PG and Patterson would be playing like a real PF and not camping out on the three point line most of the time. The problem is Lin is too inconsistent, especially when his confidence is low. Lin is a defensive liability against most PGs lately so even if he is doing a decent job on offensive end it doesn't matter if the PG on the other end is shredding him and the Rox.
    With Patterson, the fact is when he gets it down low, he doesn't do any with the ball but throw up some weak shots. He doesn't have a post-up game. I see what Murph is saying but the bottom line is Lin and Ppat are just not that good, therefore Harden is feeling like he has to play hero ball to make up for the deficiencies. Some times I don't feel Harden is selfish enough since he is the alpha dog on this team. Harden is in a slump now as well so therefore the team is in a slump. Harden has to play like a top two or three player in the league for the Rox to have a chance against good teams on most nights.

8. teebone21

teebone21 Member

learn to move without the ball, run off the back door screen to the basket, catch and shoot off screen, develop midrange game, get post position etc etc, I know his offense is very limited but he needs to start doing new things

9. gambingo

gambingo Member

We've found the next Rockets coach lol

10. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

-ROFL

11. munco

munco Member

Calvin spoke the truth but was far too kind. Let's just fire McHale already.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fire McHale. (Wrong thread, I know.)

13. Arthurprescott2

Lin obviously.

ball --> Lin --> Harden

Everyone is happy! (except Parsons :()

14. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

SOB:grin::grin::grin:

i can watch rox game with a big smile on my face.

15. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The funny thing is that Harden can do these things. He did so in OKC. And he did so early this season, even asking the coaches to install some of the sets he ran in OKC. Limited is the last word I would use to describe Harden's game.

It is lazy coaching to just rely on his vastly superior isolation skills.

16. peter2012

peter2012 Member

100% agree.

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

for a young team, a good coach always makes plays simple. everyone just needs to do whatever his position and his role require.

18. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Hes a defensive liability against most PG's? No. He's one of the better defenders on this team. Most people don't complain about his D, it's his offense that's lacking, which is what Murphy touched on.

19. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

I don't know if it's lazy coaching or our coaching stuff simply doesn't know how to design some plays. Maybe it's both. :( (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...n-McHale-not-an-X-s-and-O-s-ty?urn=nba,128193)

20. Karolik

Karolik Member

how does KD or melo play when they don't have the ball in their hands?