1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[XBOX 360/PC] Mass Effect 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chuck 4, Jan 14, 2010.

1. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Got my Collector's Edition release night from Amazon and been grinding it for the past day and a half. Tons of fun, even though it's become more of a shooter than a "true" RPG. Graphics are much improved and the cover system is implemented pretty well. Plus, the party members are really memorable. My favorite so far has been the Salarian scientist Mordin. Just wait until you get him loyal to you and you find out what his hidden talent is. I'm ticked I didn't save before I talked to him so I can relive it over and over.

2. hkEvo

hkEvo Member

I'm running a 5870 at 1920x1200. Smooth as butter. ATI still has to work out some kinks with its drivers though. I just got my first crash with the 10.1 drivers.

3. CountyClerk

CountyClerk Member

Does anyone have any extra Cerebrus Network code they don't need? I bought mine use and it didn't come with the code. My children and their children will sing songs about you if you send me that code :)

4. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Rented it yesterday, about three hours in. Not bad so far, could be an early candidate for GOY.

5. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Beat it on Hard difficulty last night (technically early this morning). Despite the nature of the game I managed to make it through the end mission without losing anyone. It takes some work and some good choices though. Last fight was pretty easy for me, but I had really spent a lot of time getting power ups and levelling my characters, so my backup team was brutal on the enemies. Guess I start on Hardcore today. Can't decide if I want to keep my Soldier or try another class, like Sentinel. Can you train your guy to use assault rifles if you're not a Soldier? I love my Collector rifle and would have a hard time giving it up.

6. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Just started playing it. Like everyone else has said it's freaking awesome. I'm not sure how I feel about having to do a puzzle at every wall safe, but that's a minor thing. Also, I may be in the minority, but I don't like the idea of having to find clips of ammo, I prefered the overheating in ME1.

Overall, it's probably the most fun I've had playing a game since ME1. Total immersion.

7. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Never really had any problem finding ammo. I did miss being able to hold down the trigger for an endless bullet stream from my Spectre grade rifle, but this made me think more strategically.

8. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

Can't wait to play this game, although I'm worried I deleted my completed save game from the first one after I sold it. Hope I don't miss out on too much.

Someone bet me a brand new copy of Mass Effect 2 on Friday if I'd eat half a beggin' strip. So of course I did it, that's a free 64.95 after taxes. Plus, she got so grossed out after I started chewing on it that she just said to spit it out and I'd still win the game. So I got to spit instead of swallow, which is always a bonus. And that's what she said.

So I'm pretty excited for Friday.

9. Rae

Rae Member

this is how you EARN a copy of ME2. Well done.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this game better be good, i got it today.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im about 8 hours into it...definitely a solid game and the combat is much improved. I wouldnt say Im blown away by this game, but thats probably because I was expecting a great game.

12. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

25 hrs in, so far so good!!! Paragon FTW!!!

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's strange. I was using my collector assault rifle, but I went back and decided to use my weapon I was starting with, because of more ammo and larger clip size. I've only been able to play about 6 hours so far, though. Maybe I made a mistake.

14. hkEvo

hkEvo Member

I'm currently on my second playthrough, but with a different character than I used the first time. I used a Sentinel on Normal difficulty the first time and I'm using an Infiltrator on Insanity difficulty this time.

If you remember, there is a part in the main storyline where you go investigate a collector ship that had supposedly been disabled by turians. At a certain point in the ship they give you a choice of one of three weapons: Shotgun, Assault Rifle, and Sniper Rifle. If you don't have the training for the one you pick you get the training right there. If you already have the training you get a special version of the weapon you pick. I've read that this choice only happens on the first playthrough with a character. On the second playthrough and on (with New Game +) the choice isn't there. I can't confirm it though.

Oh, and if you're playing on Hardcore difficulty or higher, you can get yourself a Geth Pulse Rifle on Tali's recruitment mission.

15. rezdawg

Just finished the game on normal difficulty...took me about 19 hours. Couple things Im disappointed I couldnt accomplish.

First, the paramour achievement...I wanted to get the relationship with Miranda...did everything throughout the game to get there (Got her loyalty, had conversations with her, chose her side during arguments, etc...) Just didnt happen, not sure why.

Second, I had squadmates die during the suicide mission. Dont know what I could have done differently...had them leveled up pretty good.

All in all, had a good time playing...may have to go back and do a 2nd playthrough, but I will go back to MW2 first...miss that game.

16. hkEvo

hkEvo Member

For the romance options, just keep talking to the character you want right up until the IFF mission (and maybe after). If you've gone through all the right dialogue, you should get the romance to happen as you're going through the Omega 4 relay.

As for the suicide mission, you have to pick the right combination to lead the other squad or do special objectives. Picking the wrong teammate to do a certain job can mean death for the other teammates no matter how loyal they are or how much you've upgraded weapons/armor/shields.

17. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I started my second play through the other day. I played the original 3 times (started my 4th). I think it's safe to say I'm obsessed with this universe.

18. Al Calavicci

Just beat it earlier before the superbowl. Can't wait to start my renegade playthrough

19. rezdawg

Did you have deaths during your suicide mission?

20. Al Calavicci

No I upgraded the **** outta everything and made sure to do every mission. I love this game. 2000% improvement over the original, which was amazing anyway.