1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade for Paul George?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dash, Jun 18, 2017.

?

Considering the risk, would you trade for Paul George?

1. Yes

159 vote(s)
    87.8%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The first domino that needs to fall is to move Ryno's contract. You move that to get more cap space needed to sign CP3 and then you surrender anyone not name Harden for George...

1. Send Anderson to Brooklyn with a future 1st and this year's 2nd Rounder from Sacramento
    2. Trade Gordon, Bev, and Dekker plus this year's 2nd Rounder from Portland for George
    3. Sign CP3

CP3
    Harden
    George
    ?
    Capela

At that point you just need an average starting power forward that can rebound and defend.

CallMeTheDream and RudyTBag like this.
  2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Not if they want to draft players on Thursday.

3. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

If they can find a taker for Anderson's contract, they're in business.

I wonder if Atlanta would be open to a sign and trade for Milsap. Of course that assumes Ryno has any positive value due to his contract.

All other assets would be needed to acquire George. A package starting around Harrell and Dekker plus a first round pick, with Ariza, Williams, and Gordon also on the table (not all 3 mind you, but some combination)

I much rather prefer to keep Beverley, and just say no to CP3. We already have a better points guard for D'Antoni's system

lionaire likes this.
  4. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Yes I would make a move for PG13. He's one of the best two way players in the league. He would help our defense tremendously and would bring something on the offensive end if Harden is having an off night like he tends to do in the playoffs. I would offer Indiana any of the following: Anderson, Ariza, Lou Williams, Dekker, first rounder, maybe Beverley, and maybe Eric Gordon. I heard a package of Bev and Gordon could be on the table but I would prefer it if we traded Lou and Anderson and maybe a future first.

Not saying all of those guys but definitely some sort of package of a few of them, then I'm all for it. if we can get Paul George here and then in our meeting with CP3 have both James and PG13 there to talk CP3 into coming here that would definitely make us a contender.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Isaiah Thomas who led Boston to the #1 seed was drafted 60th in the same draft. So Morey had 3 picks 14,20, & 38 with 3 all stars available and didn't get one that draft. Passed Kawhi once, Butler twice, and Isaiah Thomas 3 times. If you love Chandler Parsons then ok, but in hindsight it could have been a far better draft.

6. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

This almost makes the Lou Williams deal a bad one in hindsight. Our 1st round pick would be really valuable right about now. Ariza and Lou are expiring contracts, that is next best thing Indiana could have to additional talent. Beverley is a good player, not sure he is what Indiana would want though, thinking they would want Sam Dekker. The best thing Houston could do is find a way to trade into the first round on draft night and offer that pick to the Pacers with next years pick. I heard the names of Hayward, Paul and George, of the 3 PG13 helps us the most. Also, if he tells us he is going to LA anyway, which after making the WCF is less likely, we can trade him like Indiana and try to get some young talent in return. That said Eric Gordon stays and Lou goes, we need our core and I think Gordon is a better overall player.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I just can't take a trade proposal seriously if you are thinking Ryan Anderson is just going to be able to be moved like that, AND retain enough first round picks to get someone like George at the same time.

Anderson is a player ever team wants, but few can (or want to) afford him without giving up major contracts which defeats the purpose of the Rockets trading him. I think the Rockets make decisions assuming he's here, and the spacing he provides still makes it worth it to say he's our 4 unless we can upgrade and move him to the bench.

Only deal I could see involving Anderson would be an aging superstar like Carmelo Anthony which would indicate their team like the Knicks just want to move him out since his salary is so astronomical and the Rockets see him still as a superstar when the Knicks don't anymore.

But in a normal salary cap dump type of move, you aren't moving Ryan Anderson unless you are make the move for a minor downgrade in salary, and getting worse players in return than even Anderson.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

What if Llull is not coming though? Which is what i think we should expect at this point...

I think we should try to hold onto Beverley until free agency starts and we know how the dominos will fall, i think it would be too risky to trade him without knowing if Paul and/or Llull are willing to come here...and i also think trading both Gordon and Pat with pick/s and other player/s might be a bit too much at this point...not sure though...

I'd say trade them Gordon or Anderson (let them pick who they prefer, probably Gordon), pick/s and fillers.

Assuming they'd get Gordon, sign Patterson with the remaining cap space (8/10M x year deal) and sign & trade for Paul later with Ariza, Lou and Anderson (or Gordon + salary fillers).

Paul/Pat
    Harden/SG (guys like Alan Anderson with a portion of the MLE)
    George/Dekker (or Williams)
    Patterson/Harrell (or Wiltjer, Qi)
    Capela/Nene (with a portion of the MLE) /Nanu

...or, if Paul is not willing to come here, use the remaining cap space after the George trade to sign another quality rotation guy (like Llull) and sign & trade for Millsap with Atlanta, this might also let us keep Ariza or Lou if i'm not wrong -> assuming Millsap will get something close 25M x year instead of 35M x like Paul.

Pat/Llull
    Harden/Ariza (or Lou)/Williams
    George/Dekker
    Millsap/Harrell (or Wiltjer, Qi)
    Capela/Nene (with a portion of the MLE) /Nanu

What do you think (assuming i didn't **** up with the numbers)?

#108 Vivi, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

To me Gordon + Dekker would already be a solid package for them, add pick/s or fillers and i don't think we're far tbh.

Can they get a better package than that? Absolutely.

Will they get it by a team George is willing to play for (assuming it's not Lakers or bust)? Not sure.

justtxyank likes this.
  10. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

I think you may really be on to something here. I think the Beverley rumors are for the Clippers and the Anderson trade would send Carmelo to LA with Beverley and that would be our Avenue to get Chris Paul. This would definitely have to be Chris Paul driven, but I do see this or something similar as a Houston plan.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Basically you have to put everyone not named the Lakers in the same boat. They are all looking at him as a potential (likely) rental. Sure you can hope he just falls in love and re-signs, but nobody will make the deal feeling that is a likely outcome.

Vivi likes this.
  12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My comment was only about the drafting of Parsons at 38 and his positive impact on our team and negative impact on our competitors. You're talking about something else.

I say, "Parsons was a good pick."

You say, "No, Parsons wasn't a good pick. We should have picked Kawhi or Butler over Morris."

Do you see the disconnect? The Parsons pick was a good pick; the Morris pick was a bad pick. Those are two separate things.

BigMaloe and justtxyank like this.
  13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Gordon + Dekker or any package involving Gordon shouldn't be that attractive to Indiana... unless they REALLY REALLY REALLY want him because of that Indiana connection and appeasing the fans. Which I doubt. Why try and stay competitive when it will be virtually impossible by trading PG13?? They need young assets and draft picks.

Can they get a better deal then EG+?? Absolutely... the Rockets aren't the only team willing to risk the rental. The Cavs would. The Celtics would. The Raptors might. Etc. The thing about the GSW dynasty is that if you're a "contending" team right now in any way, you'd be willing to risk a rental for another superstar, because that's what required to get past the GSW, as many stars/superstars as possible. If he walks after a year, so be it, tank for draft picks.

Then there's the Lakers, who might be forced to give up value...

14. justtxyank

What are the Cavs giving up that's better than Gordon/young player/pick? They don't have any good picks themselves and no good young players.

They'd have to give up Kevin Love to offer anything that's better than what we are offering. Now, if they are willing to do that then yes, we can't top their offer.

These other contending teams, who is out there that's willing to give up better offers?

The Pacers made a HUGE mistake not trading Paul George at the deadline last year when they could have gotten real value. Now that he has publicly said he wants to go the Lakers teams are looking at him as a one year rental, when at the deadline you could have sold yourself that he was a stretch run PLUS the next year guy.

15. JayZ750

Kevin Love. Who if for some random reason the Pacers do want / will take a "real" player back, Kevin Love is a better fit. Not that I love or even like Monta Ellis, but Monta is kind of their EG already. Love fits very nicely next to Myles Turner and might help in his development. But even if they don't want Love, in a 3 team deal, Love is more valuable than EG.

And then on top of all that, there is still PG himself who still has sway here. He can easily say to every team, there is 0% chance I will resign with you next year - except the Cavs - and basically force the Pacers hand.

There's lots of rumor and scuttle-butt right now, but literally we have a B/R article about the Clippers trying to find a path.

16. justtxyank

I already said that we couldn't top a Kevin Love led deal. The issue appears to be that it isn't that Indiana would balk at Kevin Love but that the Cavs don't want to give him up.

17. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

My dude.... borderline All-Star means someone like CJ McCollum, Bradley Beal, and Michael Conley. Not some dude who puts up 16/2/2 on bad efficiency.

Again why are you bringing up his play from 7 years ago? That does not matter. He hasn't come close to putting up those kind of numbers since then. If we're using that metric, we should sign Kobe Bryant because he's the best player in the world.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I wasn't the original poster anyway. I did not bring anything up. The breh that started this - I am just saying I can understand where he is coming from with this.

Eric is IMO a good player. You can call him what you want, for me he was the 2nd best perimeter player for the Rockets.

19. JayZ750

Maybe, maybe not. We've seen just as much confirmation they would/wouldn't move love as we've seen of Rockets interest in doing anything.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Monta is bad though, Gordon is better than him in every aspect. And Gordon + Dekker + pick/s and/or filler/s wouldn't be that much worse than Love, especially in a rebuilding enviroment, Gordon and Love have the same age, and Dekker, Harrell, picks are all good assets which would fit with Turner and a rebuilding team. Even though, i understand that Love has the all star label on him and he would be the better player in a deal if they would trade him so, you might be right.

Other contending teams...Toronto has enough problems to solve to enter George talks imo, Lowry, Ibaka, Patterson and Tucker are free agents...they should trade Derozan for George, i don't know, doesn't look a good deal overall for anybody imo...and Ainge should be all in for Hayward as today.

#120 Vivi, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017