1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would anybody like to have Antoine Walker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UT Baller, Jul 6, 2000.

1. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I read that the Celtics were looking to trade him at all costs so they could get Croshere. Could KT/Drew/Walt plus exception get him and would y'all want him for that package?

------------------

2. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

Were you just listening to Jim Rome?

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

3. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Is Pitino related to Don Nelson? He's single handedly run that franchise into the ground. His moves make no sense.

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Celtics were struggling before Pittino went in there.

But Pittino still sucks.

------------------
    No signature for you!

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

NO WAY DO I WANT ANTOINE WALKER ON THIS UP AND COMING TEAM

------------------
    "When your dead, anything's funny."-John Lennon

6. haven

haven Member

Walker is a cancer. We don't need Rider's or Walker's on the Rockets. It may be a bit melodramatic, but: "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I can already imagine Francis and Walker feuding over shots, then Francis leaving for xxxxx cap friendly city in 2003.

------------------

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Everyone said these same things about Chris Webber before he went to Sacremento.

Perhaps A. Walker just needs a fresh start. I don't think the comparisons to I. Rider are fair.

Yes, Walker has at times, pouted. However, he is a quality player, and one thing that seems to permeate throughout the league is that when good players hook up, they tend to blend into each others games, and not get in the way.

Shaq and Kobe are a good example, yes it took time, but eventually the good players realize that to win, they need good players all around, and need to share the ball to win, and win consistantly.

I would be willing to give A. Walker a chance, he has talent, and perhaps all he needs is to come to a glorious organization, where men are treated as such, our ROCKETS !

DaDakota

------------------

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

getting away from Pitino could do wonders for Walker. But the tough question is, is he a PF, or an SF? He's got the size of a PF, and is a nice low post player, but shoots outside too much. If you put him on a team with a star PG (Kenny Anderson doesn't count) he'll eventually realize that if he doesn't pass the ball, he's not gonna get the ball. If he were to settle as mainly a PF, with occasions of SF, and lost the Cato-like attitude (which IMO is very possible) he would fit like a glove on this team.

He's a good passer (around 3-4 a game) when he wants to be, and it's undeniable he can score (around 20) and rebound (8 per game, has averaged 9 for his career). He's also only 24 (only 23 right now). If you throw out the 3 pointers he jacked up (in large quantities), He shot 575-1221, for a respectable 47%. (Before you go to the Kenny Thomas card, do the same for him, and he's 180-409, for 44%.....in about 1/3 of the shots Walker took.)

Walker is also very durable, and proven, as he's played all 82 games in every season, except the 50 game season, where he only played 42 games. He's also averaged at least 36 minutes every season.

Now, for the cap numbers.
    Walker should make $10,125,000 next season. (Anyone know if he's BYC? It won't matter too much in this deal though)

Walt makes $4,850,000.
    Thomas makes $921,600
    Drew makes $1,244,880
    (numbers according to davo's page).
    That totals to $7,016,480 throw in the exception, and that works easily. Assuming he's not BYC. That becomes a problem. If he is, Boston can only accept 5 mill and change. So what they'd have to, is add in Eric Williams, Dana Barros, or the like that makes around 2 million, to make it work. It wouldn't be too difficult to strike a deal.

More...
    Walker signed his extension 1/22/99. Meaning, he's 2nd year BYC, or that Boston can take up to 7.5 million for him.

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited July 06, 2000).]

9. BobFinn*

Walker plays too far from the basket to be a PF. He is a shooter, doesn't pass much and he makes bad decisions with the ball (shooting way too many 3's being one of them)

We already had our Ralph Sampson, do we need to go through that again?

------------------

10. New Jack

New Jack Member

I'd love to have Antoine Walker on this team, he would fit this team great. Needs to improve his shot selection and defense though.

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

11. carl

carl Member

simple you HAVE TO put either collier or kt at pf and you have antoine at the 3

PG-FRANCIS
    SG-MOBLEY OR ANDERSON
    SF-ANTOINE WALKER
    PF-COLLIER
    C-CATO
    ---know if we get Croshere that will be one hell of a lineup that i would take against the lakers anyday. THat team would kick some serios a$$!

BUt after all these are PIPE DREAMS! but damn i want antoine!

------------------

12. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I think we should go after him and then use him as an usher at compaq

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

13. haven

haven Member

I don't think you guys understand the extent of Walker's problems. I go to college in Boston, and have seen them live 10 or 12 times live each of the last couple of years. His teammates hate him, the fans have turned on him (despite being ready to fall in love with him just a year ago), and all he ever does is whine. Webber was never THAT bad. Walker doesn't pass AT ALL. He'd rather shoot a 3 with a hand in his face than pass it to an open man under the basket. I've never seen someone play for stats as badly as he does. It's pretty obvious he just wants to get his points. We don't need someone like that.

He has skills I admit it. But I'd rather have a hard working player like Croshere, than a spoiled brat like Walker.

BTW, do you remember earlier this year when a player for another team, ostensibly a friend of his, said candidly to the media that walker is a jerk? Ugh.

------------------

[This message has been edited by haven (edited July 06, 2000).]

14. BobFinn*

Haven,

I agree with your assesment 100%. I listen to a lot of Celtic games on radio, and even the Celtic announcers say what a selfish player he is. As I stated earlier, he makes terrible decisions with the ball also. Mobley is bad, but Walker is even worse.

------------------

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I think he has the ability to make good decision about getting someone to there seats, you can never have enough ushers.

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

16. Not Chaney

Not Chaney Member

No to Walker and his kids.
    I saw him threaten to kick a reporters a$$ once because of questions about his kids and child support problems. I think Walker and Kemp are in a race.
    I'm not sure he shows up to play every night.

------------------
    "UNBEATABLE"

17. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I do agree that the current Walker is selfish. But the only person that's an offensive weapon on that Celtic team is Paul Pierce, and MAYBE Kenny Anderson. Pierce is pretty quiet, and doesn't demand the ball.

But, when he does pass, he is a very good passer (3-4 assists shows he CAN pass well, but he just chooses not to.)

Maybe I'm being too optimistic on his future, thinking we can "change" him. If we could change him, then we'd get a steal.

If the trade was on the table for Walt, Drew, Thomas and the exception, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd be cautious on adding any picks, etc. But, we'd be giving up an old and inflated contract in Walt, a spare part in Drew, and a less than integral undersized PF in Thomas.

Basically, the reason I think we can change him, is because it's a given that Stevie is "The Man". Pierce came after Walker, so Walker was "The Man". Throw out the ego and selfishness, and Walker is a perfect Rocket-a great rebounder, versatility, ball handling, superb scoring, post play, decent range, and youth. The question is, can we suppress his ego/selfishness to controllable levels, and have him become the 3/4 we've always dreamed of?

------------------

18. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I wouldn't want to give up KT and the Wizard for Walker. Antoine has trouble with his shot selection.

------------------
    please venture to atheistalliance and rocketsonline
    I AM SPARTACUS

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Different situations effect players differently.

Hakeem would NEVER pass the ball out, prefering to go 1 on 4...remember the Sonics series?

Rudy taught him that to win you need to trust your teamates.

I think Rudy could do the same with Antoine.

I would give up..Walt, Drew and the exception to get him.

DaDakota

------------------

20. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

DD-You wouldn't add KT to that?

------------------