1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woman Killed over Crimson Tide Loss

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 3, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure all of us have been upset when our team lost but this is insane.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoo...ichelle-shepherd-adrian-laroze-briskey-120213

Sister: Deadly shooting was over Bama loss

A woman charged with killing a fellow Alabama fan after the end of last weekend's Iron Bowl football game was angry that the victim and others didn't seem upset over the Crimson Tide's loss to archrival Auburn, said the sister of the slain woman.

Adrian Laroze Briskey, 28, was charged Monday with murder in the killing of 36-year-old Michelle Shepherd.

Hoover police Capt. Jim Coker said both Birmingham women were Alabama fans and at the same party for the annual game between intrastate rivals. With no time left on the clock, Auburn returned a missed Crimson Tide field goal more than 100 yards for a 34-28 victory, dashing any hopes of Alabama playing for a third straight national championship.

The victim's sister, Nekesa Shepherd, said she witnessed the killing and had no doubt it was about football, even though it was unclear to investigators whether the violence was motivated by the game.

"That's one of the things we are investigating," Coker said Monday.

Nekesa Shepherd said Briskey flew into a rage when she saw the sisters and others joking that the Crimson Tide's loss wasn't as bad as if the NBA's Miami Heat had lost a game.

"She said we weren't real Alabama fans because it didn't bother us that they lost. And then she started shooting," Shepherd told The Associated Press.

Shepherd said she and her sister were invited to the party by a mutual friend who also invited Briskey. About two dozen people were on hand.

Shepherd, the mother of three, was shot to death in the parking lot of an apartment complex in the Birmingham suburb of Hoover and the women did not know each other before the party, Coker said.

Court records were not available to show whether Briskey has a lawyer. She has only had a couple of speeding tickets in the past, records show.

Coker said alcohol might have been involved, but investigators are awaiting the results of toxicology tests to make a determination.

Shepherd said Briskey drank multiple shots of liquor during the game and "went crazy" when she heard people joking after 'Bama lost.

"It was over a football game," said Shepherd. "I'm never going to forget it because she died in my arms."

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

College football is beyond being out of control in Alabama. It's ridiculous.

3. gatsby

gatsby Member

This is not limited to Alabama, or college football, or football. It's sports in general.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There is a culture surrounding college football in Alabama that lends itself to the craziest crap. I'm not suggesting they're the only ones in the world who have this issue..or that college football is the only sport where that happens. I know better than that.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you. Alabama is INSANE for college football. Essentially it is the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL/CFB rolled into one and is a matter of cultural and civic pride.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is just an opinion. But I've been around a lot of football fans. The Alabama fans that did not attend the University of Alabama are the worst I have encountered. By far. The combination of trashiness and vulgarity seems to lead to violence, even in calm, family environments.

Tech students that attend the home games are 2nd. I imagine LSU students at home are pretty bad but I cant say so with certainty.

Aggie fans are pretty terrible, but they're not violent, just annoying/uneducated about the sport. On par with a typical college fanbase I suppose, just so gung ho about everything that it hurts.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

UT fans would just yawn, turn the channel to Palladia and get stoned.

8. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I can relate to this. I have a few friends and a brother in law (whose entire family is crazy about Alabama Football) that are die hard fans and they didn't even attend the college, must less live in the state of Alabama. I had some over at my house for the game and after the loss it was screaming, crying, drinking excessively, screaming some more, punching trees. I was just laughing my ass off and slightly confused. It's like how can you be so upset and depressed and bent out of shape after a loss when 1) it isn't even your alma mater 2) you never even lived in the state of Alabama.

It was a crazy ending to a game, and a shocking loss, but still. It's ridiculous.

Lulz so true.

9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I agree with that statement. I like to call myself part of the 10%. The 10% of the Alabama fan base who actually went to Bama.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Is it too early for a kitchen joke?

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I feel for the 10%. They have to deal with this stuff all the time, it seems like. I'm no Alabama fan, but their actual fan base who attended the college gets a bad reputation due to stuff like this. Happens with Auburn too.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I know we've had this argument before, but I just don't get fans who are so passionate about a school they didn't attend.

I can understand casually rooting for a school. As a native Houstonian, I casually pull for UH and Rice and I always root for Texas teams when they play non-Texas teams. But I don't sport any of their gear, punch trees or shoot people when they lose.

13. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I think it's just an alabama thing

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rest in peace: cremated remains dumped on field after <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23ironbowl2013&amp;src=hash">#ironbowl2013</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23auburn&amp;src=hash">#auburn</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23football&amp;src=hash">#football</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23fb&amp;src=hash">#fb</a> <a href="http://t.co/ptJSmdqN3x">pic.twitter.com/ptJSmdqN3x</a></p>&mdash; Auburn Turf Team (@auburnturf) <a href="https://twitter.com/auburnturf/statuses/407566271447072768">December 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You also don't live in one of the poorest states in the country that has extremely limited economic opportunity, a terrible education system, and few if any other accessible cultural events or other forms of entertainment for the populace.

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think punching trees for any reason is a pretty good indication you have gone overboard...unless you are just on drugs and are convinced you are playing Minecraft in real life...then it is an indication that you need better drugs.

16. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I hate alabama bc in my experience, their fans are 80% just the most ignorant people i have ever come across, 20% are super cool tho. Back before Saban came, ttown was so fun to go to and just enjoy the atmosphere, now its just annoying. Ive been cussed out for wearing a texas jersey over here, like dude really?

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

What makes this story worse was that it was a Bama fan killing another Bama fan because they weren't upset enough over the loss.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

One of those things isn't like the other two.

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Did anyone read the article? That is the opinion of the family of the woman murdered. It's not the conclusion made by the police. Please read the article before titling the thread. Or at least use the title of the article instead of changing it to declare something that is clearly not said just because it makes for a good thread.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

According to the article the police are investigating that this killing was motivated by the loss. So yes the police haven't made a conclusion but they are not ruling this out. That said there is a witness that has said that the loss motivated this incident. Of course this witness may have a reason to be biased but what evidence is there that this wasn't as what the sister is saying?

According to the police the women did not know each other so it seems unlikely that some other prior cause would've been a motive.

All of the evidence that I've seen is what the thread title indicates so it's not misleading. If you have heard something to the contrary please post it as I would be interested in seeing it.