1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WojYahooNBA] T-Mac for Butler?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matt Maloney, Jan 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

My only concern is Butler's age, but that's being picky.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i agree. plus the thing with iggy is he is an ironman. we NEED players like that. and he is coming into the prime of his career.

but butler's contract is more of a morey-like contract.

anyhow....the main thing we can take out of this story is that the rockets may be able to get a lot more for tmac than originally thought.

3. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

This season, Iggy and Butler are playing about the same stat-wise. I wonder who would fit in the Rockets system better though. Iggy does have much better assists numbers though

4. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Almost the same. Iggy is doing better in all categories, except free throw shooting, IIRC.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

agreed about iggy. he's the best (realistic) option out there.

even though butler's contract is more of a morey-like contract, his durability isnt exactly what morey is going for. look at the cast of players he build. landry, brooks, lowry, etc... all durable. i think butler is a fall back option is nothing else pans out.

agreed again about tmacs value. of course, morey has decided to work his magic lately and "up" tmac's value himself by creating a bidding war. gm's are saying the he wants to talk to a lot of teams, gather a lot of offers, then see if anyone is willing to start outbidding others. washington is the evidence, "no" to arenas became an offer for butler after the phily rumors started.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Butler doesnt have a bad contract. Hes a all star caliber player making 9m. Hes having a tough season since arenas has come back, but hes played well in jordan's priinceton offense who was under adelman. I mentined this before.

Butler,miller,james,and oberto

for

tracy,scola,taylor,dorsey

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

It's almost kind of cruel what Morey is doing to these teams...

But I'm loving it. Glad to have a good GM. Morey should also manage the Texans and Astros. ;)

Houston sports would be golden.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Butler is a better player than martin. He's more impactful in terms of winning games.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

ROFLMAO....yeah, you can see it by how great those Washington teams are.......

Neither are all that impactual on their own, my friend.

DD

10. sew

sew Member

Butler is having a supbar year, but I'll attribute that to Arenas coming back.

I would love this trade if it went down.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Agree with everything. I guess its...what kind of player would the Rockets then take a chance on? What kind of player would they feel is a cant-miss after the Lebron and D Wade types? I guess only a home grown young player is the kind you risk a long term contract with. Or its only take risks with players on 1-2 year deals.

12. worzel gummidge

Butler's supposedly struggling with Jordan's motion offense.

13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

keep in mind that it's only been 1 week since the rockets started to shop tmac.

already there has been rumors of NY package, arenas, butler, iggy, chicago package, and kmart.

there is still a month and a half before the deadline... things will heat up, and offers will get better. it's best for morey to wait rather than jump at butler right now.

14. sew

sew Member

U mean Phil Saunder's?

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

So much for all the noobs that said there would be no market for Tmac...eh?

;)

DD

16. sew

sew Member

flip.. my bad

17. PeppermintCandy

Butler is the only player Morey publicly said he tried hard to get last trade deadline. So I assume he thinks Butler would fit the Rockets' style of play.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

This. This. And This. Agree 110%

I hope Morey holds it out til the deadline and then makes a deal for what he deems is the best. Never know who else will come knocking?!

19. worzel gummidge

Yeah, meant Flip

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think Butler's contract is bad, but Morey probably will not sound too eager to take on the money during negotiations. Just a matter of tactics.

As for trade, reasonable, but I'd think the Rockets would just as soon keep Scola and let WAS keep Miller. Miller is a good player, but if the Rockets are getting Butler and already has Ariza, Battier and Budinger, I'd think they'd prefer to just keep their starting PF rather than pick up another wing.