1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rubio being shopped

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jan 17, 2017.

1. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

Would love to get Tyreke Evans or Leandro Barbosa

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

he has absolutely nothing to do with anything posted by Deuce

3. basketballholic

Silence means silence. Doesn't mean consent or lack of consent. LOL

As I have stated before, we need:

1. A great distributor/passer who can run the offense alongside Harden and when Harden sits.

2. A great rebounding paint and rim protector.

3. One more 3&D perimeter player (especially since acquiring 1 and 2 will likely cost us one of our current guys).

Now try reading the dictionary.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

basketballholic resurrected after the burial of Yule C.

Pen15clubber and Richie_Rich like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

What do you mean by traps?

Unless you intend to play a lot of three guard lineups, I find the 4th guard that you describe to be a luxury and would add zero to our defense. I've seen you say this a lot. Are you just addressing offense? or worried about injuries to Bev and Ego enough to over stock the backcourt? I'd go with a wing who can drive, high post passing big with defense or scoring big, or a defensive, rebounding big who doesn't have stone hands like Asik. I'd take all of those ahead of another guard.

6. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Would you swap Brewer for Rubio?

7. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Talks of a Rubio/Reggie Jackson swap.

Seems like a lateral move at best for both teams, illogical at worst.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's a bad deal...for Thibodeau, especially if he's also going to trade Shabazz.

The players are at the same level basically, but since both teams needs to have more order on the court, i understand why Stan would do this, while i don't understand why Thibs would do it, Reggie is a ballhog and just not a playmaker, he's going to make them a slightly better shooting team, but adding him to LaVine and Wiggins in the back court is not a smart move imo.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

T-Wolves need a floor leader, something RJ definitely is NOT.

For the Pistons, it's addition by subtraction. Good move for them.

11. heypartner

I disagree. Minny has a floor leader now. They need floor spacing for Towns.

I don't know much about Reggie other than he can score, but he doesn't even have to handle the ball much to make them better. All moves are about Towns, here.

Minny is doing fine on this trade. They do addition by subtraction by getting rid of Rubio, and add a scorer, who Thibs just needs to control and explain the pecking order on the team.

#151 heypartner, Jan 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    DonKnock likes this.
  12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Reggie is WAAAAY better than Rubio...

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I must not watch them often enough: Who is their floor leader? Who takes charge and settles everyone down when the going gets tough?

14. heypartner

Rubio, and what has he done for them?

They are giving up his floor leadership for floor spacing for Towns. What? Do you think they can trade Rubio for a floor leader who can shoot? They can just keep drafting PGs until they land one. But looks like Thibs values floor spacing over Rubio, right now.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

But he will, he doesn't know how to play off the ball, he doesn't know how to run a team or how make other players around him better, that's why he's going to play in his third team after 5 years in the league. He was also some kind of cancer in the lockeroom in OKC so he doesn't look like a guy that easy to handle...

In the end i'm not sure how this will eventually turn out for Minnie since imo they have more problems than just a single spot in the starting five, but i think this trade would make the Pistons better, Stan is probably one of the few real coaches out there, i can see him making it work, i have a lot less trust in Thibodeau, and this deal doesn't make me more confident tbh.

16. heypartner

Who says that's what Minny needs from this trade in order to improve?

I don't think Minny needs someone to "run the team" and "make other players around him better" in order to improve on trading Rubio. What you are describing is what Rubio is supposed to be doing. So, obviously it isn't working. They are going a different direction. And Towns can make everyone better, by making it easier for them to attack the basket and get open looks.

Minny has plenty of talent off the dribble, including Towns. They just added another one. They all can pass (including Towns) enough to run basic ball movement, predicated off of Towns drawing attention and floor spacing ... and attack the basket.

Jackson won't be expected to replace Rubio's PG-dominate sets. They don't need that for what Thibs is probably after. And this gives Dunn a chance to develop as well.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

No, personally i think Rubio should've been traded last year, aside from how good you think he is, he's just not a good fit there with that coach and the guys playing there, and i can actually agree that this may still end up being some sort of improvement for them (even though we'll see cause i'm not sure, Jackson is way overrated imo). I was just saying that if you expect Jackson to be a good team player there's a good chance you're going to be surprised, and not in a good way. With him on the Wolves i actually expect more iso and more bad shots, less defense, less room for LaVine and Wiggins to improve, possibly less chemistry going forward...they will definitely shoot better, but i'm not sure they will get better as a team if they will not learn how to play together, which is what they really need to do, and which is not happend for various reason but certainly not because of Rubio imo.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Didn't he just sign an extension 1 1/2 years ago? Sounds like Stan making a desperate move to shake up an underachieving Pistons team.

A rumored Ricky Rubio for Reggie Jackson trade doesn't make sense for either team

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/r...cussing-ricky-rubio-for-reggie-jackson-trade/

The weird part about this is I'm not sure either team solves its problems here. If they do this, the Wolves might benefit from Jackson's attacking mentality in the pick-and-roll, but they'd probably get worse defensively and they wouldn't open up any more playing time for Dunn. Detroit, on the other hand, would get a more natural facilitator as well as a better defender and rebounder, but its issues with shooting and spacing would be exacerbated.

19. Chamillionaire

Give Tyus Jones more minutes along with Dunn. Trade Rubio for picks or a shooter like Morrow to open up the lane for Wighi s, Lavine, KAT.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

The part where i don't necessarily agree with this is the last, having someone unselfish and actually able to run the offense your coach wants can be an upgrade for the Pistons. A bad spacing is not always due to having poor shooters (and in fact the Pistons have decent if not good shooters, they're not OKC or the Magic), not having a balanced team, players that fit each other, poor chemistry are all important aspects as well. Drummond is not KAT, he's just a low iq player terrible with the ball, Pope and Morris can make some shoots but they don't have the offensive talent that LaVine (who i still think can become a good passer) and Wiggins have...so yeah, imo they really need someone able to handle, pass and create, especially for others. The thing with Rubio is that if you want him, you just need to put the ball in his hands full time, if you accept this (and his shooting), imo he can still be a good player, and this is obviously not the situation he has right now in Minnie.