1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ: Rockets among suitors for Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 14, 2017.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Had me there at Wiltjer and Huertas.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ok to him but I hope they blow it up if it does not work.

The next you know, they are going after Pau Gasol, Millsap... at some point they have to go throught the rebuilding process instead of signing older stars and hope they can feel like young bucks again.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

@The Cat might not be easy to trade Parker, but not too long ago they got a 2nd round pick for a done Splitter with still two years left on his contract. Parker is definitely declining, but he can still play as we saw lately, and he's expiring, imo they wouldn't have big problems to dump him.

On Gasol, i don't think he needs to take significantly less to help them get Paul, i wouldn't be shocked to see him renounce his player option to sign a 2/3 year deal at 10x...this would already help them. But this is just one scenario, they have more ways to make it happen even if they don't touch Gasol contract.

On Mills and the other bench guys i think you're making it look too big of a deal, they have guys like Murray and Bertans, they already show they can play, losing guys like Mills and Lee is not going to impact them negatively if they sign Paul.

As today, just dumping Parker and letting go Mills, Dedmon and Lee would give them something around 30/35...or, they can trade Pau and keep Dedmon, Mills...

Again, not saying it's going to be super easy for them to make it happen, but i really don't see why the argument "No to the Spurs cause they would've to gut their roster" (when it's very possible they wouldn't even lose a starter) is that relevant when they would've to make basically the same moves we would've to make, with the only difference that we would 100% lose a starter...which would be fine by me btw, not a fan of Ryan, but still...

#383 Vivi, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I thought the same, but the Celtics traded Pierce (and he didn't want to leave) so...i guess it's all possible...

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

It is possible. The NBA is a business, first & foremost. Daryl has taught us that. ;) And the Heat & their "We take care of our own" and the next thing you know, Wade is out of there.

Vivi likes this.
  6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Spurs blogger broke it down himself. I linked and quoted the piece. Gasol taking $10 million instead of $16 million, which he has no reason to do, does not move the needle anywhere near enough. You'd have to move both Gasol and Green entirely to even get close.

Mills, Green, and Gasol were all starters for the SA team that beat the Rockets in the playoffs. All were very solid rotation pieces. Unless Parker is moved — and I doubt A) that they'd be willing to do it and B) that they even have the assets to make it happen, should they be willing — you're looking at dumping three significant rotation pieces at a minimum, along with Ginobili's probable retirement. Even if they can keep Simmons, and even if we ignore the Dedmon/Lee tier (which I think is a mistake)... the negative impact from taking away those players from San Antonio is higher than the negative impact from taking Ryan Anderson away from Houston. I don't think even Spurs fans would argue otherwise.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Read it now, thanks for posting that.

Yeah, looking at the numbers (i also forgot about Duncan contract) might be a bit harder than what i though, but still far from impossible, they need to move Parker first cause it wouldn't even make sense to sign Paul and keep him. After that it's not really that difficult, trade Pau or Green and they're easily there. Anderson is also going to get traded in that scenario imo. And if Paul is willing to take a 30x starting salary they wouldn't even need to trade Pau or Green, or they can still max him if Pau is willing to spread his salary (you don't think that's going to happen and you're probably right, but we'll see, personally i wouldn't be shocked).

On the players level i guess we have to agree to disagree here. I mean, they're all good players, but Mills started just cause Parker went down, and Murray has come up pretty big in the end of the season, meanwhile Lou was big for us, do we beat OKC in the first round without Lou? Green didn't play that well this season and they would still be able to keep Simmons if they trade him. Imo even if they would lose Pau or Green, if they can sign Paul they would be much better so it would be worth it.

On a side note, we should also consider that if are going after Paul there's a chance we're going to lose Nene too, not just Anderson and Lou so, between losing these three guys and losing (in the worse scenario) Pau and Green, i don't think there's a big difference, especially considering that at least they already have two all star caliber players, we have one.

#387 Vivi, Jun 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  8. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Just need LeBron to sign for $1 and we ready to roll. Make it happen Morey!

9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

When is the meeting

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Probably July 1st then he makes his choice on the 4th. KD/D12 style.

11. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Will Deandre and the Clippers hold him hostage in his house?

Cash Cam and J.R. like this.
  12. No Chill Rocket

Smh. Title should read, 'Chris Paul among suitors for the Clutch Houston Rockets'

13. beardsanity713

D'Antoni is an offensive guru he'd be able to incorporate CP3 in nicely with the core IMO and contrary to what ppl believe i think both he and Harden can operate off ball if needed... an extra Elite ballhandler and good on ball defender is always needed..he obviously has intrest so i dnt think its such a long shot... If Harden really wanted to play with him i think it can happen...who has he played with thats on Harden's level besides on Team USA?? Surely not David West back in his NOH days..BG injury prone cant stay healthy...DJ no.. younger Tyson Chandler no etc...at least Harden has made a conference final something he hasnt himself done...Im just being optimistic and the possibility of adding a one day Hall of Fame Point Gawd is very intriguing...

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

"Paul is just using the Rockets for leverage"

- Derp

Ah, yes.....because the max is just not good enough.

BHannes2BHonest and Rox11 like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*sigh* I am just not enamored with Paul
    I am not sure about him
    His age . ..

Is Paul *clutch*? Does he have the killer mentality?

Rocket River

16. Rox11

Rox11 Member

I do know one thing though, bihshes they come they......naw but cp3 won't ever quit on his team! Especially not in a elimination game, question is can Haren play off the ball? We tried that with Ty

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

With the CBA he just negotiated, I just don't see Chris going anywhere for less than the absolute max he can get.

Fullcourt and 13BeardsIN1 like this.
  18. BackdoorHarden

LEbron James is a god and king. You comparing a mere mortal to King James?

Fooolish mortal

19. rockets13champs

Cp3 lost a 3-1 lead to us... he is definitely coming

mathor likes this.
  20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Parker and Mills each played almost the same minutes per game (22, 25) during the regular season. Who starts doesn't really matter in San Antonio, as evidenced by the career of Manu Ginobili. It's about the depth of the rotation, and that would take a serious hit from this.

And no, Paul taking a $30 million starting salary would not save them Pau or Green. If he takes $30 million, which is a best-case scenario, that saves ~$6 million off the books compared to the max. That's not enough room for a guy making $10+ million. Furthermore, if you're willing to discuss a $30-million salary for Paul, then you have to acknowledge that such a scenario would NOT require Houston moving Lou.

On Mills: This is a career 40% three-point shooter. One of the best in the game. In the past two years, he's played more than 20 minutes per night -- basically a tandem starter with Tony Parker. He's also a very good defender. Dejounte Murray averaged 3.4 points and 1.3 assists (9.7 PER). Sorry, just because he had a couple decent playoff games -- and overall, he shot 37% from the field and 0% from 3, numbers that absolutely won't play long-term -- you can't just act like Mills isn't a loss. Mills is a significantly more proven player. If I tried to argue that the Rockets losing Ryan Anderson doesn't matter because they could just slide in Sam Dekker, who's going to continue to improve, you'd probably label me a Houston homer. That's exactly what you're doing when you try to downplay the importance of Patty Mills in favor of Murray.

As far as Nene: It comes down to whether he's willing to take an exception. Personally, I think he will -- it's something veterans of that age typically do, and he just did it this past season. And I think he's especially likely to do it if we're talking a scenario where Houston gets Chris Paul. But again, if you're going to assume he could be lost based on the inability to spend more, the same logic has to apply to Manu Ginobili in San Antonio.

You also haven't explained what assets the Spurs have to get someone to take Parker's $15+ million salary. He's a declining, old, below-average PG already -- and now he's going to be out until at least the All-Star break. Free agent next summer. Who in the world would have any interest in that? Sure, teams are willing to take bad contracts if they get future assets out of the deal, but you'd have to give up much more than a late future 1st to get someone to take a $15+ million albatross. Maybe a future 1st and Murray could get someone to bite, but then you'd have to subtract Murray from your projected 2017-18 team. This is why literally no one in the Spurs community is speculating over a Parker dump -- even if they were willing to, which I doubt, it's just completely unrealistic to find a taker.

#400 The Cat, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017