1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will we miss Ariza's intangibles?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Aug 6, 2018.

?

Will we miss Ariza's intangibles?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2018.
  1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Maybe

29 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. HP3

HP3 Member

Harden is actually a really good iso defender he's just an absolutely horrible off ball, he gets lost so many times and that can be improved HE NEEDS TO STOP BALL WATCHING. He can improve that, that really is just laziness and not being focused.

If you dont believe me about the Iso Harden thing, check this out

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

PJ Tucker holds Harden and CP3 accountable when they lose their assignments on D. He calls them out. That's been a very good thing for this team last year.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So observation-ally, your conclusion would be that the sum of the parts was what worked? Eg. everyone playing their role and not being completely useless defensively in a switching scheme? With Ariza being a meaningful, but not replaceable, part of that?

That was my feel from basically the whole season including the playoffs against every team, including the Warriors.

But that said, still needs to be replaced. I didn't watch enough of Ennis to know if he's capable of that, but I'd assume that is part of DM's thought process. On a pure measurement basis, Ariza was slightly taller with a slightly longer wingspan, but Ennis is no shrimp in that category I guess.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he was shooting near 39% on the season from 3 thats the best % on rockets

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

We won’t be able to touch what he did for us.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Agreed, important but not irreplaceable. We'll just have to wait and see on Ennis.

I agree with you and the evidence shows that he was damn good in the regular season. That said, I don't think it held up in the Warriors series. He got attacked and smoked one-on-one. Generally, it would either end up in a blow by shot or a blow by that caused the defense to rotate resulting in an open shot. He was okay in the post because he's strong and his reach-around isn't considered a foul (phrasing, lol). And yes, his laziness and inattention off-ball was problematic.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I doubt it because Ariza wasn't really a standout individual defender. He was a great team defender and I think the new kid can fill that role. However, the fact he couldn't put the ball on the floor, poor rim finishing, zero passing ability, very streaky shooting, etc.. all those "skills" are also gone. To be frank, I think Ariza was very overrated by everyone including the media. IMO we've improved by him moving on. Healthy Luc Ma Booty is a bigger lost imo because he was the defender Ariza was but he could put the ball on the floor and finish at the rim. But that damn shoulder... it's a ticking time bomb...

Surfguy likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Well he was mostly isod by either Durant or Curry, two of the best players in the game and Durant is unstoppable one on one, of course they are gonna attack him on one one sometimes and yea it was gonna be really successful. But it was never gonna work repeatedly for them like it was for us when we attacked or Curry or one of their bigs. The damage done by Harden was mostly in transition or losing his man off ball, and thats what really hurt us.

But if you have more stats of Harden defending perimeter isos and what that yielded in terms of points per possession, I'd gladly change my stance.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Harden is a GREAT 1v1 defender but a TERRIBLE team defender. Get's caught looking and lost on so many possessions. He's like the opposite of Ariza who's very average individually but has team defensive concepts on point.

HP3 likes this.
  10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I didn’t know where to post this, but I saw Trevor at Target in Culver City last weekend with his family. I was in Dad mode and as soon as I saw him approaching I blurted out “I’m sorry to hear you are leaving the Rockets, thanks for everything...”

he kind of froze and processed the information, realizing I was a genuine fan, so he acknowledged me and I thanked him again.

It was my second encounter with any Rocket player, both were ex Rockets at the time,the other was Rafer at IAH

I wonder what I would say if I ever saw Royce White

Deuce and DreamShook like this.
  11. Asian Sensation

You know his first thought was that you were trying to “pull up”.

across110thstreet and DreamShook like this.
  12. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

With that Ennis workout?

No, Ariza wont be missed!

13. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Cant we just get a dam shooter that can shoot over 40% average?

Why not? likes this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Ryno has never been a problem in the regular season per se. He was injured towards the end of the season so I will not judge his playoffs performance. However, teams have caught to on to defending him by over playing him at the 3 point line, the fact that he cannot/will not make a cut to the basket, or pump fake and drive make him completely useless at times.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Be well.

Why not? likes this.
  16. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I will miss his defense.

I won't miss the flat tire that jumped off of every time he tried to go up in the lane in traffic. For a dude that is 6'9" with his wingspan, he'd jump in traffic like he was 50 years old.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We didn't miss Ariza the first time we lost him, and we won't miss him this time.

Surfguy likes this.
  18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I would ask this question: What intangibles did he bring that others can't supply?

19. Asian Sensation

Championship experience

[​IMG]

Long term friendship with Paul

[​IMG]

Motorboatability

[​IMG]

Chamillionaire likes this.
  20. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

technically, i don't think you can miss an intangible.

No Worries and Chamillionaire like this.