1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will we miss Ariza's intangibles?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hakeem94, Aug 6, 2018.

?

Will we miss Ariza's intangibles?

Poll closed Aug 13, 2018.
  1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Maybe

29 vote(s)
    23.0%
  1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

I am 100% sure we wont miss him production wise on the court, on contrary we should be much better offensively without him but i wonder about intangibles he brings.

Why not? likes this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Well, Ariza is tangibly about that life. Rockets are going to miss Ariza's penchant to stamp out b****assness.

3. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Nah, mon.

Elephant810 likes this.
  4. fattz

fattz Member

Yes as a team we look and play differently but that isn’t always a bad thing. He played a ton of minuets, it will take several players to fill in and each player has different straights and weaknesses. Overall we be better because of our diversity and coach picking the right player or group of players at the apropreate time during the game. We were better last year when he was out, IMO. His playing time should have been trimmed down last season, IMO. I am looking forward to life after Trevor Ariza. I wish him only the best except when he plays us.

No Chill Rocket, Bo6 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Production is offense and defense and more. It's not just offense.

Elephant810 and jevjnd like this.
  6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yeah the Rox will miss him but they'll adjust. I'm still floored that a rebuilding team like Phoenix would spend $15 million in cap space on a thirty-something glue guy when they aren't close to contending. They should have gotten another young piece to grow with.

7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Yes, he plays an important role in team fights.

8. omgTHEpotential

For sure.

jevjnd and saleem like this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Do you think ariza is better than ennis on defense?

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

When Ariza's minutes were controlled, his production was solid.

He had the right mentality and a NBA ring to back it up. He brought a defensive attitude to the team.

He has also been one of the best passing lane defenders. Combine that with CP's passing lane defence and Capella's interior defense and it worked well.

Ariza was one of the few guys on the team that would hold Harden accountable and he would listen to.

He was a big part of the team chemistry that made the team successful.

It's little things like these that don't get noticed until you don't have them anymore.

Hui, Why not?, Ziggy and 9 others like this.
  11. esketit

esketit Member

toxic masculinity at its finest

12. Nook

Nook Member

Yes the Rockets will miss Trevor Ariza

hakeem94, D-rock, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

re-post of something I said I couple of days ago

with Ariza as his primary defender, KD got held to 9-24, 8-22, and 6-17 in 3 straight games of that WCF series, and we won 2 of them

that’s under 40% shooting from the field in 3 straight games in the playoffs...KD only shot under 40% from the field 4 times in 21 playoff games, and Ariza as his primary defender had 3 of those games

it’s clear that the coaching staff valued him a lot, they wouldn’t have played him so many minutes if they didn’t...he was averaging 37 mpg in that GS series, and it would’ve been more if he didn’t play only 23 minutes in game 1 due to foul trouble...yes he went 0-12 in game 7, but after playing so many minutes and giving it his all defending KD for 6 games, he probably had no legs by that point

hakeem94, Ziggy, rhee and 3 others like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know how future Rockets Ennis will compare to past Rockets Ariza. I know Ariza's game from his long tenure on the Rockets and I have looked fairly well into Ennis - however only as far as advanced stats, replacement players, opponent strength and sample size.

I predict that if Ennis is on the floor with the same people Ariza was on the floor with, and he is backed up by the same people (or someone the calibre of LMM) then most of his defensive metrics will look worse while 1 or 2 will be ripe for stats-picking.

However, if what we're doing is going to pull stats for Ennis coming off the bench - a total distortion of comparable opponents and replacement players - I'm not really interested in what those stats say because they don't address the issue.

hakeem94, jevjnd and Chamillionaire like this.
  15. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Yeah we'll definitely miss all the little things Trevor brought to the squad.

However, I did cringe anytime he tried to do anything offensively besides shoot the ball.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ariza was an elite tunnel builder to the enemy's locker room. Elite Brick Layer at that.

Hail Trev Ariza!

[​IMG]

17. Chamillionaire

Yeah seems like he's been undervalued here especially after game 6 and 7. He did bring alot to the table. Hopefully Melo and Ennis step up.

#17 Chamillionaire, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  18. rocketseagles07

Yes... and anybody who says otherwise is delusional. Doesn’t mean we won’t be fine without him

tycoonchip and D-rock like this.
  19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Game 6 and 7....where his minutes were sky high because of CP going down, on an already undermanned rotation.

Not surprising at all.

20. Chamillionaire

Yeah that 6 man rotation. Couldn't play Anderson even though we tried. LMM was a no show after his injuries. Green gave it his all but he seemed tired too.

D-rock likes this.